PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to make "a good trail town"?

moldy
05-21-2012, 21:00
From a thru-hiker point of view, what does a "good trail town" have that a "poor trail town" lacks?

buff_jeff
05-22-2012, 06:55
For me, decent resupply, restaurant, and lodging options. Some people get all spun up about unfriendly people and feeling slighted, but as long as I have decent food and a bed/shower, I'm happy.

I think the people who really complain about towns just have an entitlement issue. For the most part, the primary stops along the way are fantastic.

WIAPilot
05-22-2012, 07:26
The friendliness of a town really does matter so I am a person who apparently does have "entitlement issues." I feel that as long as my requests to a store owner, service person or waiter/waitress are reasonable and I am patronizing their establishment and treating them with respect - that I ​deserve cordial service in a pleasant manner. I was a waitress throughout college and I have dealt with a lot of jerks, but I have also seen many people who take their moods out on customers and hold them responsible for the jobs that they occasionally hate. I do not require a "Gidget Hikes the A.T." smile, but I do expect to be treated fairly. If the last 5 young hikers have been jerks - I'm sorry, but not my fault. If someone works with some of the younger hikers and they are routinely treated in a poor manner, they need to find a job they enjoy instead of taking it out in the 6th hiker.

moldy
05-22-2012, 09:29
I think that to be a good trail town it needs a hostel

Lone Wolf
05-22-2012, 09:32
laundry, motel, buffet, beer, supermarket. and could care less if they're friendly or not

RWheeler
05-22-2012, 09:45
I don't need the townsfolk to go out of their way and be super-amazingly-nice to me for me to enjoy it, I just don't want to feel like they're hating their jobs/lives for having to help/serve a thru-hiker. There were some spots (a little at NOC, notably) where the treatment I got from some staff made me feel ashamed to be a hiker. That made it a negative experience for me. I'm still a paying customer, and as someone who has worked in food service for a long time, I tip well (usually 20-25%) unless something makes me do otherwise. So that's definitely something that will make me strongly dislike a town, or at least reconsider how much time and money I want to spend in that particular town in the future.

Other than that, if it's got an easy resupply (I'm easy, a Dollar General within two miles of the trail works for me) then I'm happy. I also have a huge soft spot for those small independent-feeling towns. It makes me feel like I belong there, even just as someone passing through. Hot Springs was probably my favorite, I think that's a golden example of trail town.

lemon b
05-22-2012, 09:51
Supply, Dry out, Clean up, Mail

max patch
05-22-2012, 10:08
Good town:

Laundry, hostel and motel, AYCE restaurant, grocery, and post office all located close to each other.

Great town:

The above, plus an outfitter, a book store, and give the motel a pool.

Extra credit:

Movie theater.

WingedMonkey
05-22-2012, 10:12
laundry, motel, buffet, beer, supermarket. and could care less if they're friendly or not

And if it's all within a short walk...then A+

WIAPilot
05-22-2012, 10:26
I don't need the townsfolk to go out of their way and be super-amazingly-nice to me for me to enjoy it, I just don't want to feel like they're hating their jobs/lives for having to help/serve a thru-hiker. There were some spots (a little at NOC, notably) where the treatment I got from some staff made me feel ashamed to be a hiker. That made it a negative experience for me. I'm still a paying customer, and as someone who has worked in food service for a long time, I tip well (usually 20-25%) unless something makes me do otherwise. So that's definitely something that will make me strongly dislike a town, or at least reconsider how much time and money I want to spend in that particular town in the future.

Other than that, if it's got an easy resupply (I'm easy, a Dollar General within two miles of the trail works for me) then I'm happy. I also have a huge soft spot for those small independent-feeling towns. It makes me feel like I belong there, even just as someone passing through. Hot Springs was probably my favorite, I think that's a golden example of trail town.

I really like what you wrote. You are still relatively young (compared to me:cool:) and I'd like to share a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent! She was an amazing woman and at the top of my list of women that I admire.

I tip well because I know how much these tips are needed and earned. But if someone treats me badly, my tip reflects this. If someone treats me really badly, I will quietly (but with the accuracy of an ice sword) put them in their place.

I especially loved your description of the small independent-feeling towns. Perfectly stated.

Jeff
05-22-2012, 13:27
Shoe cobbler, pay phone and a restaurant that sells a 10 cent cup of coffee. Oops, wrong century!!

Odd Man Out
05-22-2012, 13:43
A really good grocery store that has more interesting selection than the standard dried meals I am probably sick of.
Good beer (not Budmilloors crap).

rocketsocks
05-22-2012, 14:02
Icecream,gotta have good icecream,but really any icecream on a hot day is good.

rocketsocks
05-22-2012, 14:07
Icecream,gotta have good icecream,but really any icecream on a hot day is good.and poptarts :)

coach lou
05-22-2012, 14:22
Good town:

Laundry, hostel and motel, AYCE restaurant, grocery, and post office all located close to each other.

Great town:

The above, plus an outfitter, a book store, and give the motel a pool.

Extra credit:

Movie theater.

add Starbucks and Dairy Queen, & I'll stay a week!

flemdawg1
05-22-2012, 14:44
Good:(Bland, VA, Duncannon, PA) A lodging place, a grocery, a laundromat and a couple of eating establishments

Better:(Erwin, TN, Gatlinburg, TN, Franklin NC)
Multiple lodging choices (motels, B&Bs and hostels). Multiple Restaraunts (fast, slow, gourmet and and a variety of tastes (tex-mex, seafood, bbq, german, steak, asian, italian, brew-pub) at least one outfitter that specializes in BPing/hiking (not just a hunting or bike shop with some Mountain House meals), a laundromat (if not in hostel or motel),

Great: (Hot Springs, NC, Damascus, VA)
multiple grocery stores, other outdoor opportunities (biking, rafting, etc.), an atmosphere where you (as a hiker) and your business are a vital and wanted, easy accces to town from trail

Cookerhiker
05-22-2012, 17:06
A town with no-frills places to stay and who accept maildrops, laundry, library for internet (don't have a smartphone), grocery.

Re. food. a personal preference: I really like locally-owned, non-chain places to eat. Not that I patronize McD, BK, et. al. anyway, but they're the same across the country. Hot Springs, Damascus, Harpers Ferry, Duncannon, Hanover to name a few all feature cool eating establishments each with their own twist. And the oft-maligned Port Clinton Hotel has decent food for hikers.

...Good beer (not Budmilloors crap).

Right On!:banana

stranger
05-22-2012, 22:19
From a thru-hiker point of view, what does a "good trail town" have that a "poor trail town" lacks?

I want 4 things when I arrive in town, all within 0.5 mile of each other:
- Cheap motel room ($50 or less)
- Laundry (can usually be done at motel but not always)
- Supermarket
- Good diner type place

Having an good outfitter like Mountain Crossings, Bluff Mountain or Mt Rogers every 3-400 miles is good as well.

If Hot Springs had a supermarket, it would be my idea trail town, especially with that breakfast skillet at the Smoky Mountain Diner!

Blue Jay
05-23-2012, 10:54

I agree a thousand percent. You can't eat friendly or sleep on it. You're walking thousands of miles often cold, wet, tired and hungry. You need friendly, what a joke.

jersey joe
05-23-2012, 13:05
1) Town is right on the trail or within .5 miles.
2) Post office
3) Cheap Food
4) Internet Access
5) Laundry
6) Outfitter
7) Dollar Store

WIAPilot
05-23-2012, 13:15
I agree a thousand percent. You can't eat friendly or sleep on it. You're walking thousands of miles often cold, wet, tired and hungry. You need friendly, what a joke.

Exactly. I'm walking thousands of miles - often cold, wet, tired, and hungry. And let's throw in insects, ticks, leeches, and poison ivy. Oh and the bear, mice, and snakes. The last thing I want is to be snarled at when I hit a Trail Town. I want comfort AND civility! That is what makes a good Trail Town. Without it, you just have a Trail Town.