PDA

View Full Version : BEST camera for the $$

Cherokee Bill
05-21-2012, 21:14
Upcoming 2013 Thru................... what is the BEST camera to catch the memories!

1. At 65-yo I have tried dozens, but were poor QUALITY. Battery life just plain sucked! I am brain-dead when it comes to "manual-adjustments", so I need something simple!
2. Would like to get the new camera now, and try it out on shorter trips, in prep for a Thru!

What do you folks suggest! $$ w/in reason!

Thanks!!!! :-?

Wise Old Owl
05-21-2012, 21:22
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?83372-Camera-that-might-not-need-a-charge-on-the-AT-trail-IMO-Best-Choice&highlight=

OK, here is my take, a light easy to use cam. that takes a few HD movies and tons of images. and has a wide angle.. play with it.

Spokes
05-21-2012, 21:31
I've been happy with my little Cannon ELPH 100 so far. There is a newer model but it's more $$.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-ELPH-100-HS/dp/B004J3V8UU

I will also buy the Panasonic Lumix TS20 next just waterproofing.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00728ZC3S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT2_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I26AY9KEW1JNEN&colid=1KKU5P11R05O3

It's getting harder and harder to find a decent point and shoot that just takes AA batteries anymore.

RedBeerd
05-22-2012, 09:52
Do these cameras have the option to label pictures as you take them? I never know what my pictures are or where they were taken when I upload them on the computer.

WIAPilot
05-22-2012, 10:01
I just purchased the Pentax Optio WG-2 with GPS this week. Waterproof. Shockproof. Cold proof.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_WG-2_GPS_Shiny_Orange

It was recommended by a really great AT photographer who did a thru a few yrs ago. His photos are amazing so maybe mine will stand a chance...

Suckerfish
05-22-2012, 10:17
I have a nikon cool pix I use all the time. It is a simple light weight point and shoot. I have 4-4 GB cards I cary that way next to nothing. I put the camera in a zip lock bag to stay dry. I wouldnt recomend any SLR cameras, yea you will get better photos however the weight nixes any advantages an SLR gives you on trail.

Feral Bill
05-22-2012, 11:04
Upcoming 2013 Thru................... what is the BEST camera to catch the memories!

1. At 65-yo I have tried dozens, but were poor QUALITY. Battery life just plain sucked! I am brain-dead when it comes to "manual-adjustments", so I need something simple!
2. Would like to get the new camera now, and try it out on shorter trips, in prep for a Thru!

Thanks!!!!

There are few really bad cameras out there now, at least from major makers. With all due respect, if you have had problems with dozens of cameras, perhaps the issue is operator error. It might pay to read up on photography skills before choosing a camera that suits you, then practice, alot.

Bucherm
05-22-2012, 21:44
Well, it's also possible he bought a series of crappy(but cheap!) P&Ss because they had "more megapixels" and someone at Best Buy told him more MP=Better.

Size of the sensor matters quite a bit, as does the glass. Very cheap point and shoots(like most cameras on phones) have tiny sensors, which means less light is hitting the exposure medium, which means the picture is going to be terrible.

Wise Old Owl
05-22-2012, 22:03
There are few really bad cameras out there now, at least from major makers. With all due respect, if you have had problems with dozens of cameras, perhaps the issue is operator error. It might pay to read up on photography skills before choosing a camera that suits you, then practice, alot.

see we still agree... he needs to read instructions,,,,,

fredmugs
07-19-2012, 07:41
I have used 2 different Coolpix cameras on hikes and they are nice but not great. I wanted something better for my JMT hike this fall and I bought a Sony DSC-HX9V. The difference in speed and quality is a significant upgrade. Manual pics are impressive and it also has a panorama feature where you just click to start and then start sweeping the area and it stops on its own. It takes 1080P video and I recently took a video at a rock concert that the performed posted on his FB page. Make sure you get a Class 10 memory card for video. It also has GPS capability and the SOny software that comes with it is better than any other camera software I have used. The only drawback to this camera is the body is thicker than a Coolpix but for the quality I don't care.

For the person who can never remember where he took the pics I always take a picture of any distance signs and then based on the times I took the other poictures I have a pretty good idea where all my pics were taken.

Cookerhiker
07-19-2012, 08:06
I'm on my second Coolpix (I'd still be on my first if I hadn't lost it, followed by losing a Canon PowerShot) and I'm quite pleased with it. I've got the best of both worlds in that Canon's photo editing software is superior to Nikon's so I still use it.

Re. operating the camera and using the bells & whistles, like most people I don't read the 100+ page manual and likely pay for this negligence in the first few months but eventually, you learn by doing.;)

The other point I want to make is consider buying via e-Bay. I bought my last one this way - a Coolpix L22 advertised as "used." In fact, it was new right out of the box with all the accoutrements included. I paid $57 for it. In addition to being pricier, all the store cameras had rechargeable batteries, a no-no for long distance backpacking.

OzJacko
07-19-2012, 08:13
Depends on what you most seek.
If you are essentially looking for basic photo taking, anyone of the excellent waterproof, shockproof offerings from Panasonic Canon Pentax or Nikon as long as it takes batteries that match anything else you carry (AA recommended). I think that Panasonic may have the best options. Do an online search on Ebay and then follow a couple of links to the online shops that come up. Many of them have reviews on the cameras they sell.
I am holding off until just before I leave for the USA as I am looking at more expensive options as I have GPS recording (I take a LOT of photos and it helps to keep track), and at least 10x optical zoom (I want close ups of bears and rattlers without getting too close up) as my premium wants. Shockproofing and waterproofing may have to be compromised to get this combo. I would not recommend this as moisture is a real pain for cameras and even (especially) in the pack a camera will get banged around on the trail.

Lyle
07-19-2012, 08:45
I generally use a dSLR now, but I did try out a bunch of P&S before returning to SLRs. My favorite was the Canon Powershot A560 IS. No longer available, but had many of the things I liked and would look for again. Great image quality for a P&S, decent video capabilities, AA batteries (use lithium - lighter, longer lasting), and a viewfinder (very important for stability and photo taking in bright sunlight). Plus the Image Stabilization was real, mechanical stabilization, not just increasing the ISO as many P&S compacts do.

I was very disappointed with the Image Quality of the Olympus Stylus 600 that I tried.

Every Fujifilm camera that I've had (several) gave very good Image Quality, but they were not as compact as the other's I've listed.

Lyle
07-19-2012, 08:53
I have a nikon cool pix I use all the time. It is a simple light weight point and shoot. I have 4-4 GB cards I cary that way next to nothing. I put the camera in a zip lock bag to stay dry. I wouldnt recomend any SLR cameras, yea you will get better photos however the weight nixes any advantages an SLR gives you on trail.

Although the OP specifically stated he wanted "simple" a SLR probably isn't for him. To say, however, that the extra weight of a SLR nixes the advantage of better Image Quality is simply not true. It all depends on what your goals are.

My take, is that I will probably never return to most of the places my hikes take me, so if I want the highest quality photos, the weight is definitely worth it. The relatively high quality, lightweight lenses that are available today makes this even more true than it used to be in the film days.

OzJacko
07-19-2012, 09:01
I have a DSLR but the weight penalty for a thru hike just don't justify it.
Then there is also the fact that nearly everything you post to online needs it resized down and you only print a couple of large ones and "point and shoot" comes up best for the trail.
If you're keen on photography a DSLR is a wonderful thing, but only the really serious should consider one for anything longer than 2-3 day trips.

atraildreamer
07-19-2012, 09:16
I got a LG Tracfone (w/double minutes for life!) that has a 1.3 MP camera that also can be used as a movie camera and a voice recorder. I bought a 4 Gig microchip from Amazon (about $4) to increase the memory capacity. Photo/movie quality is decent and is downloadable to a PC. Battery life is very good and you can use the phone feature to annoy others at the shelter! :D

colonel r
07-19-2012, 09:45
Sony DSC-TX10

Pros:
small and lightweight
good battery life
can be recharged from USB
takes excellent pics (let me know if you would like to see some)
waterproof, takes underwater pics, dust proof, shockproof
can be as simple or complex as you want it
takes movies and panoramas

Cons:
does not use std batteries
slow shot to shot

I really like mine and it is in my pocket every time I go on the trail

Col R

Farr Away
07-19-2012, 11:54
As far as batteries go, use Lithium. That makes a HUGE difference with cameras.

-FA

Tree Nerd
01-15-2013, 20:39
I just purchased the Pentax Optio WG-2 with GPS this week. Waterproof. Shockproof. Cold proof.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_WG-2_GPS_Shiny_Orange

It was recommended by a really great AT photographer who did a thru a few yrs ago. His photos are amazing so maybe mine will stand a chance...

+1....I have the WG1. I Just picked it up about 6 months ago off ebay. If was suppose to be lightly used but I dont think it was ever used. I got it for $120. It takes great pictures and has a lot of awesome functions. It is real easy to operate if your technotarded but it also allows you to change everything manually if your autistic, i mean artistic. It takes really great pictures and it allows you to label them. Unfortunately, the pictures dont look good when on the camera but when you load them up to your computer they look amazing! I fell in love with mine shortly after getting it and I have never regretted it.......I highly recomend you read the manual so you can figure out all the cool functions.

Regardless of what camera you decide on, I highly recommend the Mountainsmith Cyber II camera case. It will fit vertically on the shoulder strap of your pack. It comfortable and convenient. If you see something on the move you can just unzip it, grab your camera and snap a picture without ever having to take off your pack. I LOVE IT! BTW, if you go with the Pentax WG1 or 2, get the Mountainsmith Cyber II in medium.

johnnybgood
01-15-2013, 21:19
Olympus Tough TG-820 --$299

Pros:

* Uses long lasting lithium battery * Cons -A tad heavy .
* Shock proof
* Water proof to depth ^ 33ft
* Cold weather resistant -10*
* 12 megapixals~ 5x zoom

snowblind
01-15-2013, 21:52
Cherokee Bill,

Real question is with or without GPS? I took/am using my 7 year old Canon SD850 (7-8MP~) which works just fine. No GPS, but I wasn't budgeting for a new camera for trail. Example pic below. Next camera I buy WILL have GPS, but for the AT, I didn't feel the need.

Tree Nerd
01-15-2013, 22:21
IMO, Without!.....a GPS on a camera is worthless unless your doing that stuff on google where your pictures have a location. A camera GPS has several downfalls in my opinion. First off its more expensive. Second off it will most likely be inaccurate and if you load maps into it or tracts you will have to have a bigger card with less space for pictures. This may also bog down the camera and make it process pictures slower. Im not sure about the last one but it makes sense in my mind. Also, do camera GPS's even have the ability to to have maps loaded onto them? Lastly, if you plan to use the GPS for as a navigational tool it will kill your battery looking for a signal and this will most likely result in you missing a perfect picture because your battery is dead. One more thing, if your in the woods the camera GPS will most likely not pick up a signal at all due to the canopy, if it does it will most likely be super inaccurate due to refraction.

My 2 cents.

fcoulter
01-18-2013, 17:22
IMO, Without!.....a GPS on a camera is worthless unless your doing that stuff on google where your pictures have a location. A camera GPS has several downfalls in my opinion. First off its more expensive. Second off it will most likely be inaccurate and if you load maps into it or tracts you will have to have a bigger card with less space for pictures. This may also bog down the camera and make it process pictures slower. Im not sure about the last one but it makes sense in my mind. Also, do camera GPS's even have the ability to to have maps loaded onto them? Lastly, if you plan to use the GPS for as a navigational tool it will kill your battery looking for a signal and this will most likely result in you missing a perfect picture because your battery is dead. One more thing, if your in the woods the camera GPS will most likely not pick up a signal at all due to the canopy, if it does it will most likely be super inaccurate due to refraction.

My 2 cents.

I was unaware that cameras with GPS could even be used for navigation. I thought they just geo-tagged the photographs.

My concern (and I don't have one, so this is just a guess) is that if you don't have the camera on until you see the perfect shot (like a Florida Panther), you're not going to want to wait for the GPS to lock on. So I'm not sure how useful the GPS would be for geo-tagging if you normally turn the camera on, take the picture, then turn it off.

But I'm very happy to hear from people who actually have worked with cameras with GPS.

Dash
01-18-2013, 18:23
I got the Gopro for my trip it comes with a waterproof housing and i can use a chest strap to shoot video or have it right there for a great picture. I can also attach it to my trekking poles for alot of different uses. www.gopro.com (http://www.gopro.com) full hd photos and video.

Odd Man Out
01-18-2013, 19:04
Well, it's also possible he bought a series of crappy(but cheap!) P&Ss because they had "more megapixels" and someone at Best Buy told him more MP=Better.

Size of the sensor matters quite a bit, as does the glass. Very cheap point and shoots(like most cameras on phones) have tiny sensors, which means less light is hitting the exposure medium, which means the picture is going to be terrible.

Listen to Burcherm. My uncle is a professional photographer. He was shooing my niece's wedding. His camera was a high-end Cannon worth about a bazillion $ with I think a 10 MP sensor and he said the same thing.

Assuming you don't want his 10 lb, 10 bazillion $, 10 MP camera, you could consider a Cannon S100 (or whatever the most recent of that line is). It is a high-end P&S camera. Like the professional SLR, they go for more chip area than MP than most P&S, plus better optics and software. RAW format for the silicon-room enthusiasts (that's the new equivalent for the dark room).

As for battery, I bought a back up Li battery for just 8$. I shot hundreds of pictures over several days at Yosemite without having to recharge. I too considered AA batteries at first, but those are only on low end cameras these days, and you might as well just use your cell phone (which is probably why this end of the market is disappearing).

Odd Man Out
01-18-2013, 19:06
19105 For example:

Tree Nerd
01-18-2013, 20:00
I was unaware that cameras with GPS could even be used for navigation. I thought they just geo-tagged the photographs.

I have never used a camera with a GPS and I am not sure if they can be used for navigation. Main reason I haven't used (purchased to use) one is because I have always seen them as inferior and useless. I spend a lot of time with multi thousand dollar GPS's for my job and I wont use much else. If they cant be used for navigation than what is the point of it? and what is the point of spending the extra money for something worthless? If its used for geo-tagging, it would still suck to wait for the GPS to pick up a signal, especially if your in the woods. It could take up to a half hour or more to get an accurate location (after you turn it on), and then you have to worry about it killing your battery. Your better off just looking at google and guessing where you were at haha...between the constant charging and waiting for the GPS signal you would probably save more time looking at google maps.

Like fcoulter said, if your using it for geo-tagging the the GPS probably wont pick up a signal for photos that have to be taken fast....like of animals.

Drybones
01-18-2013, 21:49
Olympus Tough TG-820 --$299

Pros:

* Uses long lasting lithium battery * Cons -A tad heavy .
* Shock proof
* Water proof to depth ^ 33ft
* Cold weather resistant -10*
* 12 megapixals~ 5x zoom

I was researching cameras a while back and called my daughter in Tampa to get her input, said she had a friend with an Olympus that took really nice photos, asked her where he got it, said he found it at the bottom of the ocean while spear fishing...not a bad recommendation.

RockDoc
01-20-2013, 17:01
Ask yourself what you are going to do with the images. If you are just going to post them on the web then the inexpensive point and shoots are fine--that's what they are made for (tiny sensors) because screen resolution is relatively poor and there's no advantage in huge file sizes, in fact a few hundred kilobytes is adequate. Even the cheap camera on your phone can do OK for this.

Don't expect to get a decent 8x10 or 11 x 14 inch paper print from these cameras, and be aware that it's easy to loose all your digital photos through hard drive crashes, disk defects, and as media changes are regularly brought in. Many people have lost a lot of digital photos and don't have any older than about 5 years. Yes it is possible to back up, at least for a while, but permanence is a real problem with this technology because obsolescence is a high priority of the manufacturers. They want to stimulate continuing sales.

At 65 yo you may not be comfortable with all this rapidly changing computer/web tech stuff and prefer tactile paper prints, like in the old days. If you just want paper prints for a photo album, and the ability to make the odd enlargement of fine archival quality, then film cameras still have a place. My older relatives use the cheap instant film cameras from drug stores with good results and never have to touch a computer. If you want more control, better cameras are available for bargain prices. I've used a Rollei 35 backpacking with exceptional results.

So weigh the trade-offs. If you are not comfortable with tech and computers and rapid obsolescence there are very good retro options. Yes you can still get film, except Kodachrome and Polaroid.

bonebroke
01-20-2013, 17:21

Thanks!!!! :-?

Flikr.com has a great camera link where you can see others actual photos and feedback. You might want to check what others are saying about the camera your interested in. I went with a Nikon aw100.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras

wicca witch
01-20-2013, 19:01
u do have a great camera. Yet i carry my Nikon D3000. Sure it weighs a bit with the lens,yet i am very comfortable with it. I also carry 3-32 BG cards for the vids i take.
And yes the glad heavy duty zip-loc bags r wonderful

Franco
01-23-2013, 20:14
Just some general advice in this old thread...
I would forget about film , leave that to the highly motivated or nostalgic photographer.

don't buy a "brand" buy a model.
(Same as you would not just pop in and buy a Ford because you read somewhere that Ford are good cars...)

Most cameras now use propriety batteries , not AA, so you can only use the type made for it.
(if you find an AA powered camera you like ,then use disposable lithium or Sanyo Eneloop )

To find out the expected number of pics per charge just check the CIPA figure (IE google "Canon S100 CIPA")
That CIPA figure will not tell you what you will get, it is just an apple with apple comparison with other cameras.
Same as miles per gallon on a car.

All cameras have a fully auto setting.
Canon and Pana have a particularly good all Auto function but most can do better that a beginner fiddling with manual settings.

Definitely back up your files , say one copy in your C drive and another on an external drive or flash storage.
Check them every so often but they will remain exactly the same as when first downloaded. Film on the other hand keeps deteriorating from day one.

It is more important to be able to handle comfortably your camera (that is neither too big,too small or too heavy) and see the image on the finder than having a few extra pixels.

Most mid to high end compacts can give you a better 8x10 than most compact film cameras of yesteryear's...

For fuss free hiking I would recommend the Pana TS4 (or 25 on lower budget) or the Olympus TG1/2
Water/dust proof, relatively light and compact and pretty good image too.
Both have a decent wide lens for panoramas or just tight locations (like inside a tent...)

tds1195
01-23-2013, 21:34
I use a Samsung W300. It's not the best camera in the world, but I got it from newegg refurbished for $50 - can't beat that (retails for $160). It's a camcorder but takes 1080p pictures. Waterproof up to 16+feet, shock proof up to 6.5ft, and dustproof. Good and durable - and cheap! Plus it takes pretty good pictures for a camcorder - video is good, too.

Not Sunshine
01-23-2013, 22:13
After 6 years of seeing multiple people with Canon ELPHs (and 3 digital cameras myself), I finally was due for a new camera - and if my ELPH died on me today, I'd buy another IMMEDIATELY. It's point and shoot. Takes excellent photos without any work. Lightweight. Good battery. It's perfect.

Franco
01-23-2013, 23:49
Just to clarify my point about CIPA and longevity of the batteries.CIPA stands for Camera and Imaging Products Association, so it isn't directly related to battery standards, it just happens that as a key "word" next to a camera model Google will find the amount of pictures CIPA has measured being taken with that camera.

next to emphasise the" look for a model not a brand" , as an example,I mentioned the Olympus TG1/2, part of the Olympus Tough series however much better than the rest.
So the point is if your mate takes great shots with a Tough TG1 don't expect to get the same or even similar performance from another Tough camera.
The same for "Elph" "Coolpix" and the rest...

R1ma
01-24-2013, 13:39
After 6 years of seeing multiple people with Canon ELPHs (and 3 digital cameras myself), I finally was due for a new camera - and if my ELPH died on me today, I'd buy another IMMEDIATELY. It's point and shoot. Takes excellent photos without any work. Lightweight. Good battery. It's perfect.

Digital ELPHs are great cameras. Probably the best P&S.

But, for another option, I saw a Samsung WB150 the other day @ Best Buy for $180 (much cheaper online though, but I just mention that I saw it in person). Full manual (PSAM), supposedly 190g, good reviews.
I personally have a Nikon S3100, full auto, but only 119g. Not the greatest camera, but cheap, light, and decent pictures.

SunnyWalker
01-25-2013, 00:28
One of the Garmin Oregon 450 models has a camera. You can tag the photo to a location that way. I hear its really good. Of course you can use it for navigation. I happen to have an Oregon model (450) without the camera though. Its great.

StylinLP38
01-25-2013, 14:36
Go Pro Hero3 Black Edition? I seen these for sale at Best Buy. Big end cap display with all the optional addons. Question: Why doesn't this look like a camera? There is no view finder or display screen. How can you frame a shot with it? looks like a dummy cam to me.

StylinLP38
01-25-2013, 15:46
Go Pro Hero3 Black Edition? I seen these for sale at Best Buy. Big end cap display with all the optional addons. Question: Why doesn't this look like a camera? There is no view finder or display screen. How can you frame a shot with it? looks like a dummy cam to me.

canoe
01-25-2013, 15:57
Ive been looking hard at the ProGO. but right now i use coolpics

Franco
01-25-2013, 19:22
The Go Pro is an "action" or helmet video camera.So it is designed to be worn doing some (usually ) fast moving activity where you focus on the action not the composition.
It happens to also take stills, but not all that good.
keep in mind that it has a very wide semi fisheye lens , so you get a lot of linear distortion, however it is ideal for giving that "you are there" feel.
The angle of view is either 127 or 170 degrees (127 on High Res)
As a comparison the "standard" wide angle , 28mm on a full frame camera, is 65 degrees so half of that.
An easy camera to use to document, in video format , your trip.