PDA

View Full Version : First time hang in the AT

pakmule
05-21-2012, 22:24
I need advice as to what is a good first time trail. Not TOO long!! I want a site that I can drive to within a couple of miles of. I am going this weekend. I would like to get good elevation so I can be above the fog in the mornings. Any help?? I have looked at the map but not sure where is the nicest views!
Thanks
Mike

pakmule
05-21-2012, 23:16
How about Mt Sterling #38?? Looks good on the map! I hope it has trees! LOL I suppose that is what I am going for.

Grits
05-22-2012, 07:09
421 North to Shady Valley turn left at flashing light drive 3 miles south on 91 to Cross Mtn Road and parking on the left. AT crosses the road there go Nobo 3 miles to double springs shelter a great place to hang. (about 1-1/2 hr drive from Wilkesboro) or you could go sobo an visit Uncle Nick Grindstaff. You can make a great 3 day 43 mile loop at this location up to Damascuson the AT and back sobo on the iron mtn trail. Get a AT map it is on there. Lots of trails on Mt Rogers not far from you as well as the Grandfather mtn trails and the Linvile Gorge and wilsons Creek areas. lol so many places to go whats a hiker to do. :confused:

JJJ
05-22-2012, 07:23
Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers is pretty close to you. It's hard to beat. Get the NGS map and have at it. You won't regret it.

JJJ
05-22-2012, 07:27
Oh, one more thing. It will be crowded at Rhododendron Gap this weekend, but hangin' it always easy to get out of the crowd if that's your cup of tea.

Bearpaw
05-22-2012, 08:55
How about Mt Sterling #38?? Looks good on the map! I hope it has trees! LOL I suppose that is what I am going for.

Mt. Sterling is completely covered with trees. The great view is from the fire tower.

pakmule
05-22-2012, 18:56
Thanks. I didn't know which way to go today and before I could get back to this forum I made a gut decision to go to the Smoky Mountain National Park at Mt. Sterling #38 on Sat. Then on Sun. Go to # 21 I will have to come out and drive around to get over to 21 but would like all the scenery I can get. I didn't know about Mt. Rogers but I will be giving that a try soon do you have to have a permit there? I was going to Linville this weekend but they said they wouldn't issue any more permits for this month! So that trip has been postponed to the 4 of July week and I ended up having to chose something else. I am looking forward to it. Do you guys like it in the Smokys? Do the bears ever give any trouble? Also how does the cabins work? I have never seen anything like this. Do you have to stay at the cabins? Or can you just hang at each one? I think I would like to hike the entire AT across the Smokys sometime. That shouldn't take more than about 6 or 7 days I wouldn't think.
I was kinda hoping to get above the fog in the morning to see the sun rise with a view not to obstructed by trees. Seeing as #38 was a fire lookout station I am assuming I did good. Does anyone know??
Anyway thanks again I video my trips. maybe I can give a video report when I get back.
Mike

Bearpaw
05-22-2012, 21:25
You need to contact the backcountry reservation office and get a reservation for sites #38 and #21. The number is 865-436-1231. You may have to call several times to get through, and it's possible there may not be space left, but you will probably be fine.

Charlie Oscar
05-23-2012, 15:55
OK, I doubt I did this in the right place but I am new to this forum/threads/blogs. I am section hiking and this year am going to use a hammock (Hennessy Expedition). I have not had a chance to spend a night in it but I have managed to hang it up and after bending the crap out of a fence post, hang out abit. Given that it is so warm right now, I was thinking of NOT bringing my thermarest. A little less space and a little less weight. I have a good down 20 degree bag so I am thinking I'll be warm enough but don't know if a pad is important in a hammock?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Bearpaw
05-23-2012, 16:35
OK, I doubt I did this in the right place but I am new to this forum/threads/blogs. I am section hiking and this year am going to use a hammock (Hennessy Expedition). I have not had a chance to spend a night in it but I have managed to hang it up and after bending the crap out of a fence post, hang out abit. Given that it is so warm right now, I was thinking of NOT bringing my thermarest. A little less space and a little less weight. I have a good down 20 degree bag so I am thinking I'll be warm enough but don't know if a pad is important in a hammock?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Bring some sort of under insulation. You will pack down the underside of the sleeping bag and sleep cold. Also, once you hit elevation, you will likely be surprised how cool nights can get. In the Smokies and Grayson Highlands area, I have hung in 40 degree weather in July on more than one occasion.

Last, if your section takes you through the Smokies, you will need to stay in shelters, and the thermrest will be very much desired.

Charlie Oscar
05-23-2012, 16:51
Thanks Bearpaw, I am just always amazed at how much crap I end up taking for a 5 day trip! But I don't want to scimp In the areas of keeping warm. The pro-lite doesn't wiegh much but just takes up space. I was somewhat surprised that the hammock was as bulky as it was. I am looking forward to it, leaving the truck at NOC and getting a ride back to Deep Gap where I left off last year. Thanks again CO

pakmule
05-23-2012, 19:07
I agree with bearpaw. It gets kinda cold without something on the underside of your hammock. I use a Warbonnet Yeti. Small and very light. I take it even if it is warm just in case it gets cool. Like he said with elevation comes cooler air. Which is kinda what I have been worried about. One of the volunteers at the park said teh lows were only in the 50's but at 5800 ft. that sounded a little warm I expected at least into the 40's.

I got my Res. and I am looking forward to it. Number 38 on Sat. and 21 on sun. suggestions on a scenic route into #38 would be much appreciated?
Mike

Charlie Oscar
05-23-2012, 21:52
OK, I am going to use a reflective gizmo and a down blanket and leave the pro-lite at home. I'll be doing the GSM next so let me know how your hike goes and thanks for the come back.

pakmule
05-23-2012, 21:57
Your welcome and I plan on videoing the trip I may upload it. I went on youtube and found several videos uploaded on Mt.Sterling. It looks really nice. Be safe.

AAhiker
05-23-2012, 22:11

Honestly it would depend on when you go and where you go. I have the hennessey expedition and I never used a pad. I think it could be nice, give a little bit more shape to the hammock. I own a pad but I just put it on the ground so my dog could sleep on it. I have spent a few september days in my hammock hiking the High Peaks in the Adirondacks where it got down to low 30 and a high 28 one day and slept fine without a pad.

Rickard
05-25-2012, 14:01
If you are looking for a cheap option, walmart sells a closed cell foam pad for about $8. It isn't as comfy as my thermarest, but it's wayyyy lighter and doubles as a seat pad. Which means I can also leave my trail stool at home to cut down on weight. You also don't have to worry about punctures, or leaving it out in the sun. Food for thought. Definitely grab something though, cold butt syndrome isn't fun.