PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging children on the AT

icequeen
05-22-2012, 01:18
I apologize ahead of time, if this has been discussed, or if I'm posting in the wrong section.

My youngest daughter (just turned 11) has an obsession with the AT...and hiking in general. She's asked at least once a week for the past couple of years if I'll pull her from school and thru hike with her (we all enjoy hiking and go almost every weekend)...and yes she's being dead serious! A little background info: She's severely dyslexic. She struggles to read on a first grade level, therefore making her schooling first priority! We read White Blaze together, most of the AT biographies (granted some of them I have to substitute words/skip situations), as well as a few hikers blogs...they've only added fuel to her fire! On the trail, she feels no different than anyone else, her disability isn't noticed, and even at her young age, can hike like nobody's business.

So far we've only done AT long day hikes, and short section hikes. Despite her age, she's already completed, and most more than once: McAffee Knob Loop, Spy Rock, The Priest, Humpback Rocks, Sinking Creek Mt, Mt. Rogers, Dragon's Tooth, Punchbowl Mt- James Rivers, Sinking Creek, Sugar Run Gap and many other blue blaze trails/hikes, such as Crabtree Falls, etc. (we reside in VA)

I know that at 11, she's no where remotely ready for the physical/mental challenge a thru hike would demand, but my question is how do I keep her dream "reachable" until she's at a more reasonable age? Thoughts/ideas welcome!

WIAPilot
05-22-2012, 01:32
Here is a journal link to a father/daughter team who are currently hiking the Appalachian Trail. His name is Eric Gjonnnes. His daughter turned 12 just a few wks ago while on the trail. If nothing else, you might want to start aiming toward a section hike with your daughter on the trail so that over the course of a few yrs, she can complete it and it will teach her about goal setting. You already have made a great start in this direction.

Sunshine was also featured in this month's American Girl Magazine. If you are quick, you might be able to find a copy for your daughter.

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=364996

Nutbrown
05-22-2012, 07:27
...I know you prob get a lot of advice for the dyslexia, but my daughters teacher told me a trick that worked for one of her students. When the student read words through colored (I think it was yellow) plastic paper, like the kind for overhead projectors, the letters unscrambled. Weird, but anything is worth a try.

As for the age appropriateness of the trail, you could do home schooling that year through an ipad. I doubt her intrest will wain.

lemon b
05-22-2012, 07:37
This is a difficult one. You might not have to do anything she may just keep that dream until she can act on her own. Not sure if homeschooling is an option. In any event sounds like you already enjoy hiking together as much as your schedules allow.

Jim Adams
05-22-2012, 08:06
....maybe find where that father / daughter team is currently @ on the trail (Va.?) and try to hike that same section just so the two girls can meet.....maybe run into them with a little trail magic like fresh fruit or fresh veggies and dip. It may not "promote" your daughters ideas of waiting a few years but it would probably boost her morale even more.

BTW, I've also heard about the yellow colored film working.

geek

WIAPilot
05-22-2012, 08:11
....maybe find where that father / daughter team is currently @ on the trail (Va.?) and try to hike that same section just so the two girls can meet.....maybe run into them with a little trail magic like fresh fruit or fresh veggies and dip. It may not "promote" your daughters ideas of waiting a few years but it would probably boost her morale even more.

BTW, I've also heard about the yellow colored film working.

geek

Jim - I would rethink this advice unless you have their permission first. You have to remember that Eric and Sunshine are on a tight schedule - often hiking over 33 miles per day. It really isn't fair to either of the girls not to clear this beforehand and would be presuming a lot.

Cookerhiker
05-22-2012, 08:51
I'm thrilled at your daughter's enthusiasm for hiking and commend you for taking those hikes and supporting her interest.

Seems to me the best next step is a longer section hike in the summer when she's off school. Granted, hot sticky July is not the best time for most of the AT but you need to take advantage of the school break. The best AT hiking in July & early August - NH and Maine - is probably too challenging although I suspect you and your daughter will revel in the gorgeous views of the Whites. Can you treat her to a few nights in the AMC huts? You'll never forget it!

If you want more traditional backpacking, I suggest Vermont. Start at the MA Rt. 2 crossing in North Adams and hike north as far as you can with the goal of reaching Rt. 4 - a 107 mile hike. Besides nice views atop Glastonbury and Stratton Mountains, there's ponds to swim in (Stratton Pond is a delight) and plenty of shelters if you encounter rainy weather but you can also camp anywhere. You could still experience hot weather but not as much as the lower elevations of the mid-Atlantic.

Whatever course you choose, good luck!:)

Feral Bill
05-22-2012, 11:16
I assume your daughter has a special education teacher, as well as a classroom teacher. Try discussing this with them. Your daughter has a powerful motivation that can be used in improving her skills. If you can get away, it might not be crazy to do just what she wants. You could have her journal and read relevent materials along the way, probably getting in as much serious practice as she would at school. At 11 she may not be too young at all. Normally I do not support taking kids out of school (I am a teacher), but this could be just what your child needs. All my best to both of you.

icequeen
05-22-2012, 11:30
Thank you for all the suggestions!

Nutbrown: I have a close friend who is a special education teacher and she shared that little tidbit with us. I can't see where it has helped yet and we've tried every color it seems! The public school system is lacking in knowledge, so a lot of the "non traditional" methods we do at home. The situation gets a little sticky when it comes to homeschooling, and the AT. Her father (we are not together) would NEVER give his blessing to either...he's not a hiker, nature lover and just doesn't "get it!" If he did, I'd start a hike in Damacus when school finished for the summer and keep hiking until we reached Harper's Ferry, or she wanted to come off!

Cooker: Unfortunately, we're stuck to VA hikes for now. I have 3 other children to care for, and while they like hiking on occasion, have no desire to do longer sections...and there's no way I'm putting up with whiny, complaining kids on the trail! :)

Jim/WIA: We read Sunshine's blog, and I would never dream of interrupting their hike. We've also been following Howl http://followingblazes.blogspot.com/ and have tried to hike sections he's just completed (now that he's out of VA that will stop).

Bill: I'm a true believer of non traditional means of education....unfortunately the school system is not, and this year especially has been a trying and hair pulling out experience! I've fought with the school (rural public system) and showed my ass more than I care to admit this year! But, you are correct, she has motivation and is a stubborn little thing! :)

Thank you again everyone for advice, suggestions and well wishes. We'll keep plugging along, keeping her in the woods on the weekends! My current husband and myself are seriously contemplating a thru hike when she graduates high school (seven years away) and that will probably be her first opportunity.

Lostone
05-22-2012, 11:33
I would love to do this with my daughter.....I read parts the trail journal and enjoyed it and intend on sharing with my daughter.

But why do people get sponsors????? and why do company's give just random folks gear?????? the first page he is thanking his sponsors.

I am by no means a rich man and couldn't imagine asking people to sponsor my fun. I suppose it is like sponsoring a race car.....

I am frustrated, as I am a Scout Master in the inner city and have tried to get pack donated from manufactures and they simply won't do it and many won't return phone calls or emails. I see wealthy folks receiving donations for gear they could afford and all I ask for is 5 medium sized backpacks in 60 liters.

I will say that the folks here on whiteblazes donated a number and they have been used on 5 different trips since last fall when we received them. Thanks again. most of the Packs were large size....If anyone has some mediums they would be appreciated more than you could imagine.

icequeen
05-22-2012, 11:38
Also, for those that have experience with a thru hike, is there a section of the trail that is typically the most physically/emotionally demanding for most (I know that's a personal opinion type question). Maybe it would help if we planned to hike "that" section next year or so, so she can see just how different the terrain can be. At 11 I'm not sure she fully understands the extreme variances that are to be expected.

Moose2001
05-22-2012, 11:39
I know that at 11, she's no where remotely ready for the physical/mental challenge a thru hike would demand, but my question is how do I keep her dream "reachable" until she's at a more reasonable age? Thoughts/ideas welcome!

I would respectfully disagree with you. There have been kids way younger than 11 who have sucessfully hiked the AT. Here's a link to a journal written by a family I met in 2005 (Anchor, Troll and Oblivious). http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=88651

Oblivious, the son, was I beleive 8 at the time of the hike. He was very strong and probably pushed his parents to finish. If I recall, Troll (the father) and Oblivious went on to hike the PCT as well.

If you're concerned about removing your daughter from school, have you considered breaking the trip up between 2 years? Do half the trip one summer and the other half the next summer?

I think it would be a great trip for both of you.

icequeen
05-22-2012, 11:50
Moose: I'm sure there are children younger than her on the AT, most of our issues arise because her father is not on board with the idea. We both have joint physical/legal custody, and we've discussed homeschooling and he is completely against it. I'm also 100% positive that he wouldn't be too happy with the idea of not seeing her for 6+ months, when he's used to seeing every 4 days, and not being a hiker, he sees the AT as placing her in unneeded danger. Lastly, there's the custodial kidnapping problem if either of us cross state line without the other's written consent! If it was just up to me, I think I'd try it and see what happened out there!

Moose2001
05-22-2012, 14:11
Icequeen - All problems you are right in thinking about and considering. I don't have children so I won't even try to offer you advice on how to handle these issues! To go back to your original question of how do you keep her dream reachable, I would say you're doing the right thing by doing short hikes. Can you get her involved in organized group hikes? How about working with one of the VA trail mantainer clubs? Girl Scouts? Of course if her desire is as strong as you say, those things might be like pouring gas on a fire! Good Luck.

WIAPilot
05-22-2012, 14:22
I would love to do this with my daughter.....I read parts the trail journal and enjoyed it and intend on sharing with my daughter.

But why do people get sponsors????? and why do company's give just random folks gear?????? the first page he is thanking his sponsors.

I am by no means a rich man and couldn't imagine asking people to sponsor my fun. I suppose it is like sponsoring a race car.....

I am frustrated, as I am a Scout Master in the inner city and have tried to get pack donated from manufactures and they simply won't do it and many won't return phone calls or emails. I see wealthy folks receiving donations for gear they could afford and all I ask for is 5 medium sized backpacks in 60 liters.

I will say that the folks here on whiteblazes donated a number and they have been used on 5 different trips since last fall when we received them. Thanks again. most of the Packs were large size....If anyone has some mediums they would be appreciated more than you could imagine.

I REALLY apologize for the large, bold type. I copied it onto my iPad and didn't realize it would be so BOLD!! SORRY!!!

Many years ago, before I became involved in aviation, I was executive director of a non-profit organization. There is an art to asking (and receiving) donations. As everyone on the WB Planet now knows, I am very opposed myself to individuals who just sign up, hold out their hand, chat for a day or two - and then are never heard from again.

If you are referring to Eric (Balls) and Sunshine obtaining sponsors - you need to realize:

1. Sunshine is seeking to become the youngest hiker to complete the "Triple Crown of Hiking" = the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT); the Appalachian Trail (AT); and the Continental Divide Trail (CDT).

2. What is important to note is that Sunshine has already hiked the PCT as a 10-11 yr. old. She is not some wanna-be who announces to the hiking community about what she is going to accomplish. She has a proven track record! I get so tired of hikers with a fancy website who announce what they plan to do as a family or a record they will set as an individual and it is ALL TALK!! And then they actually DO use the money to take a vacation!

3. This is not a rich family! Eric is a writer and his wife just received her doctorate. He is doing this to help support his daughter's dream.

4. With Sponsors, it is all about advertising. These are not "random folks." Eric and Sunshine are internationally known and have appeared in numerous magazine and newspaper articles. Thousands read their Trail Journal. THIS is what Sponsors care about!

5. I do not mean this to sound snarky because I was a Girl Scout forever, but you and your inner-city troop are random folks. There is no way to really verify that you and your troop are who you say you are - and that is what Sponsors look for. Moreover, you ARE asking for donations "for fun" for your troop. I think it would be far more beneficial to your troop if you devised ways they could earn the money as a TEAM for the packs. Like car washes or a clean up project or ask a place that sells them if there is something your troop can do to earn the money. Are you really teaching them anything by asking for the packs? Even if you taught them how to obtain Sponsors, that would be a great skill to learn. (LOL Or we could start a debate in a separate thread and I can assure you that those who I annoy the heck out of will donate those packs to you in a heartbeat!! )

6. I don't think that Eric and his daughter are doing this "for fun" necessarily. I think the record is important to both of them, but they are also VERY focused on bringing an awareness of hiking to young girls - and to encourage that father/daughter bond among families.

7. They are also hiking to donate money for a water supply well for a foreign country, which shows a spirit of giving back.

8. Everyone on this site who knows me is aware that I am not a pushover. But I have already made a large donation to this young girl and her father and intend to triple it for the last hike. I believe and respect them both tremendously!!

Rasty
05-22-2012, 15:06

I REALLY apologize for the large, bold type. I copied it onto my iPad and didn't realize it would be so BOLD!! SORRY!!!

Many years ago, before I became involved in aviation, I was executive director of a non-profit organization. There is an art to asking (and receiving) donations. As everyone on the WB Planet now knows, I am very opposed myself to individuals who just sign up, hold out their hand, chat for a day or two - and then are never heard from again.

If you are referring to Eric (Balls) and Sunshine obtaining sponsors - you need to realize:

1. Sunshine is seeking to become the youngest hiker to complete the "Triple Crown of Hiking" = the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT); the Appalachian Trail (AT); and the Continental Divide Trail (CDT).

2. What is important to note is that Sunshine has already hiked the PCT as a 10-11 yr. old. She is not some wanna-be who announces to the hiking community about what she is going to accomplish. She has a proven track record! I get so tired of hikers with a fancy website who announce what they plan to do as a family or a record they will set as an individual and it is ALL TALK!! And then they actually DO use the money to take a vacation!

3. This is not a rich family! Eric is a writer and his wife just received her doctorate. He is doing this to help support his daughter's dream.

4. With Sponsors, it is all about advertising. These are not "random folks." Eric and Sunshine are internationally known and have appeared in numerous magazine and newspaper articles. Thousands read their Trail Journal. THIS is what Sponsors care about!

5. I do not mean this to sound snarky because I was a Girl Scout forever, but you and your inner-city troop are random folks. There is no way to really verify that you and your troop are who you say you are - and that is what Sponsors look for. Moreover, you ARE asking for donations "for fun" for your troop. I think it would be far more beneficial to your troop if you devised ways they could earn the money as a TEAM for the packs. Like car washes or a clean up project or ask a place that sells them if there is something your troop can do to earn the money. Are you really teaching them anything by asking for the packs? Even if you taught them how to obtain Sponsors, that would be a great skill to learn. (LOL Or we could start a debate in a separate thread and I can assure you that those who I annoy the heck out of will donate those packs to you in a heartbeat!! )

6. I don't think that Eric and his daughter are doing this "for fun" necessarily. I think the record is important to both of them, but they are also VERY focused on bringing an awareness of hiking to young girls - and to encourage that father/daughter bond among families.

7. They are also hiking to donate money for a water supply well for a foreign country, which shows a spirit of giving back.

8. Everyone on this site who knows me is aware that I am not a pushover. But I have already made a large donation to this young girl and her father and intend to triple it for the last hike. I believe and respect them both tremendously!!

You also never miss an opportunity to tell everyone on whiteblaze how generous you are. Why the need to self promote so much?

Mr. Bumpy
05-22-2012, 15:31
There is a novel for tweens called Halfway to the Sky by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley (2002) about a 12 year old girl who runs away to the AT. It is not painful for an adult to read as well.

WIAPilot
05-22-2012, 16:06
You also never miss an opportunity to tell everyone on whiteblaze how generous you are. Why the need to self promote so much?

WTH??? I think most people on WB don't think I am "generous" in the least! I offered to sponsor one kid on the WB Forum. And I made the statement that I had donated to Sunshine in the context that I fully support what she is doing. I really don't give a rat's patooty what perception you have of me. And thank you so much for keeping this on topic.

bigcranky
05-22-2012, 18:28
There is a novel for tweens called Halfway to the Sky by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley (2002) about a 12 year old girl who runs away to the AT. It is not painful for an adult to read as well.

There's a Stephen King book about a young girl who gets lost on the AT, called The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Awesome book, but probably not appropriate for an 11 year old. Unless she were already reading Stephen King, of course.

To Icequeen: 11 years old is of course old enough for a summer section hike, but I fully understand the other issues preventing this. Sorry to hear of them. If your daughter is anything like the rest of us around here, the dream of an AT thru-hike will live on.

Feral Bill
05-22-2012, 23:15
Could you and your ex trade time to make bigger blocks of time for both hiking and his interests with your daughter? Virgina has a lot of AT to explore. Also, perhaps he would be open to reading some materials that might allay his fears and help him understand your daughters interest. SOme of my best hiking has been with my daughter when she was young.

Firefighter503
05-24-2012, 09:04
It sounds like you two have knocked out a decent little chunk of SW VA on the AT. As motivation/something for her to use to see progress towards her goal, I'd suggest one of the National Geographic wall map/posters of the AT, and she can start highlighting the sections that she has done. Start by knocking out VA (a smaller goal than a thru, but a larger goal than just 'section hiking') and you two will have hiked 540+ (?) miles. As for some more grueling trail, head south to the Smokies.

icequeen
05-24-2012, 12:07
Could you and your ex trade time to make bigger blocks of time for both hiking and his interests with your daughter? Virgina has a lot of AT to explore. Also, perhaps he would be open to reading some materials that might allay his fears and help him understand your daughters interest. SOme of my best hiking has been with my daughter when she was young.

This is a good idea Bill! I'm not sure if he'd read anything I presented him with, but he'd probably read it with her if she had it on hand! I agree, hiking with my kids is not only better in general but is also hilarious at times! :)

icequeen
05-24-2012, 12:18
It sounds like you two have knocked out a decent little chunk of SW VA on the AT. As motivation/something for her to use to see progress towards her goal, I'd suggest one of the National Geographic wall map/posters of the AT, and she can start highlighting the sections that she has done. Start by knocking out VA (a smaller goal than a thru, but a larger goal than just 'section hiking') and you two will have hiked 540+ (?) miles. As for some more grueling trail, head south to the Smokies.

A wall map is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion of trying the Smokies, that's a section I've always wanted to hike. We're headed out tomorrow at noon for the long weekend. Not looking forward to the holiday crowds but it's another 3 days under our belts starting at Big Meadows, VA and hiking north.

WIAPilot
05-24-2012, 13:44
I think it is wonderful that you are doing this with her and for her. She will absolutely never forget this.