PDA

View Full Version : Small section hike in Pa next month, general questions if anyone wants to indulge me

treesloth
05-22-2012, 14:33
Hi, I'm visiting my old hometown in NE Pa mid-June and I'm looking to hike for about 4 - 5 days on the Trail. I'm currently in training as I want it to be a somewhat enjoyable experience. My backpacking experience in itself is nominal, though I'm WELL researched and have thousands of walking and running miles under my belt. The only advantages I'll have here is a month+ worth of training, and the fact that I grew up in the hills of Pa (all the rocks will neither surprise or overwhelm me). My pack weight should be about 35# fully loaded and the only problem I anticipate is my feet. They did not fare well (blisters!) during a 50 mile / 3 day hike of Ocala National Forest here in Florida. But I'm trying to have that dealt with by then.

My plan is to go from Port Clinton to Wind Gap, about 60 trail miles. I'm looking to average about 12-14 miles a day. I see that the shelter locations are not necessarily aligning to my plan, but that's no worry for me as I plan to stealth camp where/when needed.

What I'd like to know about is MAPS for this area, gotchas, water sources, and must see things (i.e. Pinnacle Rock) if anyone has any info to share. If I need to alter the section, that would be fine too, but I don't want to put my parents out too much, who live in a rural section Wilkes-Barre.

I hope to do my own thru-hike soon enough, and I'd like to know what I'm getting into by means of this little trip. Any info at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Jim (Treesloth)

rocketsocks
05-22-2012, 14:57
I think your asking if there are maps available for this area,There are.Contact Cabellas in hamburg,or the Hawk Mt.Visitor center,i've seen maps there.Eastern Mountain Sports also has maps.Here is a guide book for the At that I like http://wwwtheatguide.com/ but there are others as well.

rocketsocks
05-22-2012, 15:11
Let me try that link again. http://www.theatguide.com/

Don H
05-22-2012, 15:11
That's a nice section, hope you enjoy it.

The stretch from Lehigh Gap to Wind Gap is extremely rocky, the little ankle biter type that twist ankles. This stretch is dry too, the only water is at the Leroy Smith shelter unless you want to go way down the ridge to Stempa Spring.

Try to do the climb out of Palmerton (Lehigh Gap) first thing in the morning. It gets hot since you're in the direct sun with no shade until you get back into the woods at Little Gap.

Good news is after you climb out of the gaps it's fairly level walking.

Cookerhiker
05-22-2012, 16:53
Re. maps, your first choice should be the official AT maps. I'd call the locations (EMS, Cabella's, whomever) first to make sure they stock them. If not, order from the ATC. This link takes you to the particular map you need: https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=208&compid=1

atbackpacker
05-22-2012, 21:24
if your looking for AT trail maps...try the public library. i've borrowed them from our local branch in the past.

tdoczi
05-22-2012, 23:04
the good news re" maps is that swatara gap to DWG, which includes the section youre hiking and then some, is all one map. and unlike many AT maps, is readily available without buying the whole state set plus guide book.

http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=506&Itemid=104

third item on the list.

Rickard
05-23-2012, 10:47
the good news re" maps is that swatara gap to DWG, which includes the section youre hiking and then some, is all one map. and unlike many AT maps, is readily available without buying the whole state set plus guide book.

http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=506&Itemid=104

third item on the list.

I have that map, it's excellent ... I highly recommend it.

As for Port Clinton to DWG, that's the rockiest part of the state. Just keep your feet dry, take off socks for drying on breaks, bring duct tape .. and you should be fine.

The Pinnacle is pretty awesome, as is The Pulpit. There is another great view at Dan's Pulpit, just past the Eckville Shelter. I haven't been North of 309 yet, but I hear it gets even rockier .. haha. Hard to imagine.

tdoczi
05-23-2012, 12:07
I have that map, it's excellent ... I highly recommend it.

As for Port Clinton to DWG, that's the rockiest part of the state. Just keep your feet dry, take off socks for drying on breaks, bring duct tape .. and you should be fine.

The Pinnacle is pretty awesome, as is The Pulpit. There is another great view at Dan's Pulpit, just past the Eckville Shelter. I haven't been North of 309 yet, but I hear it gets even rockier .. haha. Hard to imagine.

if you look at said map, north of lehigh gap theres a reference to something like "southern boundary of glaciation" the areas immediately north and south of there are what i think earns the whole "rocksylvania" thing.

Rickard
05-23-2012, 13:37
if you look at said map, north of lehigh gap theres a reference to something like "southern boundary of glaciation" the areas immediately north and south of there are what i think earns the whole "rocksylvania" thing.

Heh, I hear there's a point dubbed "knife edge" where you're literally climbing on boulders for some time. That must be it. I may go against my preferences and get a trekking pole for that adventure.

Not to derail, but I'm heading out this Saturday .. starting at PA/MD border, hiking to Port Clinton in about 8 days. Should be a blast, because I hear that part of the state is pretty rock-free until just before the 501 shelter. I wish you better weather than I am going to have!

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 13:51
Heh, I hear there's a point dubbed "knife edge" where you're literally climbing on boulders for some time. That must be it. I may go against my preferences and get a trekking pole for that adventure.

Not to derail, but I'm heading out this Saturday .. starting at PA/MD border, hiking to Port Clinton in about 8 days. Should be a blast, because I hear that part of the state is pretty rock-free until just before the 501 shelter. I wish you better weather than I am going to have!Don't forget to order the fries when you get to Port Clinton,I here there Huge!:D

Rickard
05-23-2012, 13:59
Don't forget to order the fries when you get to Port Clinton,I here there Huge!:D

No kidding! This is a huge part of the reason I am ending there. I've been to PC many times, but only the hotel once. I ordered the iconic burger and fries, and the small basket was even enormous! I love that town, we even shuttled back to have a great breakfast at 3c's(and to hang my hammock in the pavilion again, that was nice). My only beef is the climb going SOBO toward 183 with all of that food in my stomach. :D

tdoczi
05-23-2012, 14:24

Not to derail, but I'm heading out this Saturday .. starting at PA/MD border, hiking to Port Clinton in about 8 days. Should be a blast, because I hear that part of the state is pretty rock-free until just before the 501 shelter. I wish you better weather than I am going to have!

youll see plenty of rocks in places. just south of rt 30 and on cove mountain (south of duncannon) come to mind, but there are some others. but theres also prolonged very easy stretches.

Rickard
05-23-2012, 14:42
youll see plenty of rocks in places. just south of rt 30 and on cove mountain (south of duncannon) come to mind, but there are some others. but theres also prolonged very easy stretches.

I'll take notes of these areas with me and plan for it when considering my section mile total, thanks for the heads up!

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 15:35
No kidding! This is a huge part of the reason I am ending there. I've been to PC many times, but only the hotel once. I ordered the iconic burger and fries, and the small basket was even enormous! I love that town, we even shuttled back to have a great breakfast at 3c's(and to hang my hammock in the pavilion again, that was nice). My only beef is the climb going SOBO toward 183 with all of that food in my stomach. :DYep,same going North I think,the nearest shelter,I wanna say is windsor furnace.but I'm really not sure, but if it is,that's like 12 miles awa,I'd just curl up under some tree,with a log for a pillow.LOL.Have a great hike.

treesloth
05-29-2012, 10:19
Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys, I just got my section map in the mail (thanks Rickard) and it looks great.

jabroni
05-29-2012, 20:10
Hi all. Is the Winter Trail at Lehigh Gap open? Last I heard it was closed as work was being done on the Superfund site.

shelterbuilder
05-29-2012, 22:49
Hey, treesloth, I'm an old Forty Fort boy myself! Good luck - the rocks should defintely bring back memories!

Blisters? Have you tried sock liners of some sort? They really work for me. I will get "warm-spots", but by morning, things are back to normal.

This is rattlesnake country all the way, so watch were you put your fingers, feet, and butt...but if you see one, consider yourself blessed. (The same goes for black bears, which do have a way of sniffing out food bags....) The ticks are probably going to be really bad this year (mild winter) - Lyme is always a possibility.

Water shouldn't be a problem - even though we had no real snow, we've had good rains lately, so mid-june should still see the springs running good. On BMECC's section: Pocohantas Spring, Furnace Creek (Hamburg Reservior), the spring at Windsor Furnace Shelter, Gold Spring, Panther Spring (heading down toward Eckville - really a stream), the faucet at the Eckville Shelter (say "hi" to Mick, the caretaker), Dan's Spring, the springs at the Allentown Shelter (DOWN the mountain!), the 3 springs at the Bake Oven Knob Shelter (upper may be dry, middle should still be okay by then). Farther north - you're on your own - I volunteer with BMECC and don't get north that much!

Primitive, one-night camping along the trail on State Game Lands is permitted, provided you stay within 200 feet of the footpath, and more than 500 feet away from water sources, road crossings, trailheads and parking lots. To be safe: no fires! Camping within the Hamburg Reservior is PROHIBITED, except at the Windsor Furnace Shelter (yes, they DO patrol and cite for violations). Since the whole of Pa. is a crazy-quilt of different landowners (federal and state agencies, plus the Hamburg Watershed), the ATC maps are helpful in knowing whose land you are on (and whose regulations you are dealing with).

Sights to see? Natural sights include some re-growth American Chestnut trees between Pocohantas Springs and Hamburg Reservior (still blighted, but still hanging on), Pulpit Rocks (a favorite local climbing/rapelling site, and site of the Lehigh Valley Astronomical Society's observatories), the Pinnacle (watch out for the copperheads here, and don't go into the caves at this time of year because of them), Hawk Mountain Sanctuary (if you venture back along THEIR trail, prepare to pay THEIR use-fee, but they have some cool lookouts, even if it's not migration-time), Dan's Pulpit (named for Congressman Danny Hoch, a BMECC member and sponsor of the first - unsuccessful - trail-protection legislation in Washington in the 1940's), Tri-county Corner and nearby "Balanced Rock", Baer Rocks (that's "Pa. Dutch", not ursine) and nearby "Knife Edge" (where the footpath runs along a VERY narrow rock up-thrust on the ridgetop), and Bake Oven Knob (on a clear night, you can almost see the lights of W-B!).

Man-made "attractions" include the Windsor Furnace Shelter (c. 1970 - please excuse the condition of the old privy), the Eckville Shelter (NPS-owned, an old turn-of-the-century farmhouse and out-building that BMECC renovated just for the purpose of having a shelter here) the Allentown Shelter (new shelter and clivus multrum privy from a few years back), and the Bake Oven Knob Shelter (c. 1937, one of the oldest shelters in continuous use along the entire trail - no privy!).

Hope this helps.

Monkeywrench
05-30-2012, 08:39
Don't forget to order the fries when you get to Port Clinton,I here there Huge!:D

Yeah, I ordered a large. I wish the bartender had told me just how large they were. She was a sullen woman, though; not much in the way of conversation.

treesloth
06-21-2012, 10:21
Hi all... it was a good run! My calves feel like someone wrung them out like wet socks, and my knees feel like they were hit with sledgehammers, but no regrets here!

I started out of PC as planned, at noon, climbed up and over and was treated to all the great views, and made it to the Windsor Furnace shelter at 2:00. I felt great so I continued on 10 miles to the Eckville shelter and got there by 6:00.

I won't even make mention about the rocks, we all know. :)

At any rate, it was all good. Shelterbuilder, I saw your great post yesterday (after I got back), sorry I missed it. I didn't stop at Stempa Spring, I stopped at Delps Spring. After 18 miles, I'd rather have climbed .37 miles down a ridge than .60... I'd heard a rumor that it was dry, but blessed be it wasn't. Climbing back out of there with 15 exra pounds of water (in me and on me) wasn't exactly a picnic, but I found a great little campsite up the trail (as fate would have it, right near the Stempa trail entrance). I had enough water to get me through to Wind Gap (barely enough, glad my dad had cold water waiting for me!) and I was out by noon.

Great hike, overall I was able to keep moving. 16 miles the first day, 17 the next, 20 the third (counting the spring run) and a nice 9 for the walk out. Not bad for a flatlander, huh? :-) I even got to mix it up with some thru-hikers... one of which (name withheld) who hasn't done his business in the woods or in a privy for 1000+ miles! He said he shuttles into town to do so, as he is an extreme germophobe. Interesting, to say the least. I couldn't do it.

It's safe to say though, that I will NEVER walk that section voluntarily again, unless I'm on a thru-hike! :-)

Thank you all once again for helping me plan an awesome walk in the woods. I did truly enjoy it.

Treesloth