PDA

View Full Version : Using a tarp instead of a tent

ericrhett
05-22-2012, 14:44
Hi! I hiking Davenport Gap, TN to Hot Springs in 3 days in early June. Assuming the forecast is no rain, can I use a tarp instead of an enclosed tent? I know the temp will be ok (I checked) but what about bugs in that area of the AT? Are there any factors that should cause me to use a tent over a 3 sided, floorless tarp? Im a beginner so please, respectful, informative answers only.
Thank you!
Eric

flemdawg1
05-22-2012, 14:51
Are you going to primarily use the tarp to sleep under or were you planning to use the shelters? Can you confidently set up a tarp to stay dry if you need it? Bugs normally arent' a big deal on that area of the AT.

Spokes
05-22-2012, 15:15
Grandma Gatewood used a shower curtain........ So yes.

quilteresq
05-22-2012, 15:23
I love my tarp more when it's damp and rainy. Much better ventilation, so things IN the tarp aren't as wet. I made a net tent to go with it, because the Whites aren't blessed in bug department.

coach lou
05-22-2012, 15:40
I use a Fly from a dome tent, 8'X3' piece of plastic, and a surplus [my supply battalion] mosquito net. I'm covered for whatever comes along

Tenderheart
05-23-2012, 12:07
I thru hiked with a tarp and can honestly say that I never got wet in a rain storm. Of course, the key is to not set up in a depression. As for bugs, all but mosquitoes go to sleep at night, and there is not that much standing water on the AT. IMO, a tarp is the only way to go. Mine was an 8 X 10 siltarp.

flemdawg1
05-23-2012, 12:17
Hi! I hiking Davenport Gap, TN to Hot Springs in 3 days in early June. Assuming the forecast is no rain, can I use a tarp instead of an enclosed tent? I know the temp will be ok (I checked) but what about bugs in that area of the AT? Are there any factors that should cause me to use a tent over a 3 sided, floorless tarp? Im a beginner so please, respectful, informative answers only.
Thank you!
Eric

Yeah, take the tarp. its only 3 days.

jesse
05-23-2012, 12:19
You can use it in the rain. That's what they are built for.

shelb
05-23-2012, 21:37
Of course, the key is to not set up in a depression..

What is the best area to set the tarp up in? My guess is the flattest you can find,...

10-K
05-23-2012, 21:56
What is the best area to set the tarp up in? My guess is the flattest you can find,...

I'm not a tarp guy but I would think a slight incline might be better than flat for drainage.

coach lou
05-23-2012, 22:12
I'm not a tarp guy but I would think a slight incline might be better than flat for drainage.

I concur, head higher than feet for me.

MuddyWaters
05-23-2012, 23:05
I prefers my tarp in the shape of a tent.

stranger
05-24-2012, 07:34
Tarps are fine but in June the bugs will be out so I would bring some type of bug net. The key to staying dry under a tarp is site selection, don't use established sites cause all the soil is compacted and water can run, try to find something on a slight rise, hill, bump, etc... Sometimes if you view the site from a distance it's easier to see this.

Tenderheart
05-24-2012, 09:32
[QUOTE=shelb;1291677]What is the best area to set the tarp up in? QUOTE]

Yep, as others have said, the ideal site is a slight mound with drainage in all directions from the center. And, of course, head slightly elevated above feet. You can't always find such a place in the real world, but you get the idea.

QiWiz
05-24-2012, 15:52
You can use a tarp for rain protection, but may need bug protection in the form of deet or netting of some kind.

MuddyWaters
05-24-2012, 21:50
You can use a tarp for rain protection, but may need bug protection in the form of deet or netting of some kind.

Yep, and my hexamid provides me with both. Coincidence??? I think not.

QiWiz
05-25-2012, 10:56
Yep, and my hexamid provides me with both. Coincidence??? I think not.

I also love my Hexamid when ground dwelling. Prior to the Hexamid, used to use a Gatewood Cape with NetTent when bugs were out. Both are good tarping options.

lemon b
05-25-2012, 11:32
I did back in 78. Never again. Way to difficult to stay dry. Not sure if some of the newer ones work better. Today I use a small dome at under 3 pounds.