PDA

View Full Version : Hammock vs Tent

AAhiker
05-22-2012, 18:09
So I have a Hennessey Hammock that I like pretty well but I am thinking for the A.T. I might prefer a tent so I can enjoy rainy time better. Any thoughts from you thru hikers?

kayak karl
05-22-2012, 18:14
never used a tent on AT. never want to. got snowed in twice for 36 hours each time and i am so glad it was in a hammock. BUT HYOH :)

G.G.
05-22-2012, 18:21
I prefer my tarp & hammock in the rain. I'm off the ground, lounging with plenty of room to fuss around, cooking is easier or less of a worry... Tho my tarp (OES Deluxe with 2qzq door mod.) has doors which does make a difference for extended weather and protection.

ChinMusic
05-22-2012, 18:28
So I have a Hennessey Hammock that I like pretty well but I am thinking for the A.T. I might prefer a tent so I can enjoy rainy time better. Any thoughts from you thru hikers?
If you like the HH, you answered your own question.

ocourse
05-22-2012, 18:31
I agree with both replies above. I don't know how many nights I have hammocked over rocks and bushes, and on severe slopes - places it would be hard to find a tent spot. You can keep dry in a hammock and have shelter underneath for cooking.

Tinker
05-22-2012, 18:34
Go with your heart. Buy a larger tarp and maybe have perimiter bug netting sewn in (or velcroed on). You'd have the best of both worlds. Permethrin on the netting would be a good idea, and don't forget to allow for the straps/ropes exiting at the ridge line.

bigcranky
05-22-2012, 18:47
I got a larger tarp for my Hennessy Hammock and much prefer using it in rainy weather on the AT. While it's possible with very careful (and lucky) site selection to be just as dry and cozy in a tent, the hammock makes that a lot easier.

AAhiker
05-22-2012, 18:59
Thanks for helping pull me back from an unnecessary splurge. I'm turning into a UL junky and it is hard to stop!

Tinker
05-22-2012, 19:02
Not as hard to stop as some habits (and much less harmful) ;).

flashbang009
05-27-2012, 11:14
I'm in the same place as you. The UL lure is hard to resist! I just made a DIY UL Hammock that weighs in at 7oz. Working on narrowing everything else down too.

Bucho
06-02-2012, 21:01
I'm not sure of how I'd deal with sleeping in a hammock personally but I was envious of easy it was for them to find a good place to set up. You'll also generally be able to hang out/cook/play monopoly deal in the shelters and maybe even hang your hammock in there.

Deadeye
06-03-2012, 11:04
A bigger tarp solves the rain day/zero day/camp time issue. I have a Speer winter tarp, and it's nearly the size of my bedroom at home. Plenty of space for hanging around, and you don't have to worry about keeping a clean floor, or crawling to get inside. Set 'em both up on a nasty, rainy day at home, and then decide which you'd rather spend a rainy afternoon in.

douginky
06-03-2012, 17:10
Since this seems to be the current active hammock thread I'll ask this here - how do side sleepers like hammocks?

RedBeerd
06-03-2012, 17:17
I seem to be the exception. Had a HH and resorted back to a tent..a tent just seems like a home away from home and a hammock seems like a bed only! I toss and turn A LOT as well which felt awkward in the hammock

Stir Fry
06-03-2012, 17:32
I have a WB and have no truble sleeping on my side.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. After trying both, pick what you like.

Less of a learing curve in a tent. Sight selection being the bigest thing. Easer to learn on the trail.

Staying warm in is the big one for the hammock. Best to figure this out before you leave or you will have some cold night in the begening.

Deadeye
06-03-2012, 19:56
@Douginky: No problems side sleeping in a hammock for me, much more comfortable than sleeping on a pad, even a nice thick Big Agnes.

@heavypack627: With a stock Hennessey, I agree that it's a sleeping place only, and somewhat claustrophobic at that. But, if you swap out the Hennessey tarp for something bigger, you solve that problem.

Tinker
06-04-2012, 01:07
Since this seems to be the current active hammock thread I'll ask this here - how do side sleepers like hammocks?

I usually start out on my side and sometimes end up on my back. I can't sleep comfortably on my back in my bed, but side or back is just fine in my hammock (honestly, better than my old style "sleep number" - before the numbers - bed).
I use a basic hammock with an ENO bug net. That way I don't need an underquilt to keep the underneath warm. My bag slides over my hammock, making it warm all around. I use a lighter bag in the summer with the netting.

jvengineers
06-06-2012, 07:07
Both have their own advantage , Hammock feels enjoyable and comfortable but does not protects you from rain sunlight etc and same with the tent it protects you from rain sunlight etc but less comfortable and enjoyable than hammock. :)

Texico
06-06-2012, 22:52
After tenting for a 400 mile section earlier this year, I will be switching to a hammock & tarp set up for a trip later this summer. I now have a ENO doublenest and a OES MacCat Deluxe tarp. It's so incredibly comfortable compared to my Skyscape Trekker and Synmat UL7. Nice and dry with TONS of room under the tarp. I can't wait to get back to the trail!

Country Roads
06-07-2012, 19:03
I actually prefer my hammock and tarp in the rain. I don't feel "penned down" in it. I can lounge, take a leak, cook and just watch it rain. I even hung in Dolly Sods Wilderness during hurricane Irene. It was way better than a tent and way better than staying home.

JaxHiker
06-07-2012, 20:20
I actually prefer my hammock and tarp in the rain. I don't feel "penned down" in it. I can lounge, take a leak, cook and just watch it rain. I even hung in Dolly Sods Wilderness during hurricane Irene. It was way better than a tent and way better than staying home.

Amen! Rained on me this week at Spring Mtn Shelter and rather than being cooped up in the full shelter I was cozy in my hammock.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

ChinMusic
06-07-2012, 21:01
I'm just the opposite. I welcome the rain in my tent. 90% of the time I can stay in awning-mode and just enjoy the rain. I can lounge, take a leak, cook and just watch it rain. I even got caught in a 10" downpour in the Knobstone and stayed dry and comfortable.

Tinker
06-07-2012, 23:37
Aah, the rain... Something happens to me when it rains. I might be found standing in the doorway staring out into the gloom much as I would if I found suitable shelter along the trail or sitting in my hammock under my tarp. It happened at work today. I didn't want to go back to work. I was mesmorized by the splashes made by the drops in the puddles on the parking lot and the drumming sound of the sudden deluge on the awning over the door. I could have stood there for 15 minutes or more, but that's not what I get paid for. :D

I must be a hiker. :)

kayak karl
06-11-2012, 07:37
I actually prefer to have a hammock rather tents. I disposed our tents and purchased many hammocks for my family. I bought my hammocks here http://www.mexicanhammocks.com.au/ and their hammocks are really great and durable.

Try it!
http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/07/spam.jpg

ChinMusic
06-11-2012, 11:14
I prefer the Spam Singles.

Don Newcomb
06-12-2012, 17:52
I prefer a hammock as long as I'm in a place where I can use it. I recently camped in a state park that forbid tying anything to a tree. I've camped in National parks that required you stay in a designated campsite. Needless to say, the vast majority of the designated campsites were clear of trees. Kind of makes it hard to set up a hammock.