PDA

View Full Version : Hikers rescued in Va.

Deer Hunter
05-22-2012, 19:06
http://www2.nelsoncountytimes.com/news/2012/may/22/hikers-found-nelson-county-after-distress-signal-ar-1933681/

uwharriebackpacker
05-22-2012, 19:29
Glad they were found and not like most folks who just wander around aimlessly making the search harder than it needs to be. If it was medical, I hope they are alright.

quilteresq
05-22-2012, 19:39
Not enough info there. NH news reports the reason hikers summoned help. And they can charge you for the rescue if you're hiking while stupid - i.e. unprepared. Medical emergencies are pretty much exempt from that, though.

WingedMonkey
05-22-2012, 21:07
May 22, 2012

Two distressed hikers were found early Tuesday morning following a four-hour search along the Appalachian Trail in Nelson County.
"They are what you call through hikers," says Paul "Massie" Saunders, a member of the Fast Initial Response Search Team (FIRST). They were hiking from Georgia to Maine and this was their second trip through."
Search teams found the Georgia couple shortly after 5 a.m. near Harpers Creek and Maupin Field. The man, who was recently diagnosed with health issues, told his wife to call 911 after suffering complications during a hike.
According to Nelson County Life (http://bit.ly/JPppWo), emergency crews got an alert from an emergency beacon along the Appalachian Trail late Monday night.
“Our agency got the call around 11 p.m. last night. [They] set off a locater beacon that contacted a center in Georgia. The call came in as a medical emergency from GA authorities,” Sheriff Brooks told NCL.
The search took longer than expected because crews focused on the immediate area around where the call originated.
"You could see the pink in the sky on the horizon. When it started to break daylight, I turned the last corner to the general area of where we thought they were and there was a glow of a tent," Saunders said.
The couple was found and carried to safety. They were taken to Augusta Medical Center in Fishersville to be checked out. There is no update on their conditions.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/Missing_Hikers_Found_in_Nelson_County_152490825.ht ml

scree
05-22-2012, 23:32
Very grateful to hear they were brought to safety.

Think the "locator beacon" was something like a Spot?

Ender
05-23-2012, 08:27
Really glad to hear that they were found safe, and hopefully he is recovering well and quickly. My thoughts are with them.

moldy
05-23-2012, 09:30
It's a good test that the beacon worked, that Nelson County Emergency 911 was listening and that the cops were willing to locate the people. Good exercise.

MyName1sMud
05-23-2012, 09:53
Glad they were found okay!

moldy
05-23-2012, 09:54
It was "Headin-out", a hernia. Dos' 2012 on Trail Journals has a post about it.

sardodge
05-25-2012, 10:14
It's a good test that the beacon worked, that Nelson County Emergency 911 was listening and that the cops were willing to locate the people. Good exercise.

Having the coordinates plugged into my GPS and my dog, gave my teammate and I the confidence that we would find the couple on the trail and we did. It was a tough time for the gentleman to hike out, but my teammate carried his pack and we exited north at maupin field shelter. it was an amazing hike at night. and Very happy for a happy ending and praying the gentleman is doing well.

Ender
05-25-2012, 10:17
Having the coordinates plugged into my GPS and my dog, gave my teammate and I the confidence that we would find the couple on the trail and we did. It was a tough time for the gentleman to hike out, but my teammate carried his pack and we exited north at maupin field shelter. it was an amazing hike at night. and Very happy for a happy ending and praying the gentleman is doing well.

Thank you for your, and your teams, effort! I know the gentleman you rescued appreciates it.

sardodge
05-25-2012, 10:21
thanks! we love doing it and it was on my list to hike as we live in the county, just didn't expect to do it at night. glad we could help!

WIAPilot
05-25-2012, 10:34
Pretty awesome!

moldy
05-26-2012, 14:55
From Trail Journals
May 22
, Just cleared chimney view. Trying to find a spot for the tent. 6:30. It is thundering. no spot, only on trail. good enough. fixed supper and in the tent by 7:30. 8:30,Headnout is in awful pain. doubling over and stomach and back pain. Lasts 10 minutes. takes 2 vicadin. 3 hours later same thing. 2 more vicadin. Put the "SPOT " out and hit the 911 button. its 10:30. he is settled down. 2 a.m. and again pain. another vicadin. r u counting? Did i mention it is raining?
finally both of us sleeping when I hear some russling by the tent. back and forth,back and forth. Voices are next. Tim, Nancy r u ok? r u in there? YES,YES. we are here. Tim again in pain. Mattie and Aliena and the dog are there to help. It is 5 a.m. Mattie contacts dispatch . we get things ready to go down the Mt. We have yet to go over 3 ridges. we are about 4 miles from Maupin Shelter. The atv is waiting,somewhere in-between. Mattie is carrying the big black pack and I carry my own. Tim is carrying Matties daypack.Up and down we go. On to the atv then down to the ambulance.Passed 3 sobo's.On to the hospital and then to Waynesboro for the night. Our friend drove from Mi. to pick us up and we are now home. Tim had kidney stone and hernia.The stone passed and we have a Drs. app. next Wed. If all goes well we will be back. Hope all is well with all of you. Miss you all. Hope to see you soon. Tagnalong

-headnout and tagnalong

WIAPilot
05-26-2012, 15:11
Thank God you are both OK! Thank God for Mattie and Aliena and dog! May I ask if you also had a cell phone, as well as the SPOT? if so, were you able to get any kind of signal?

SawnieRobertson
05-26-2012, 15:42
Dadgum stones! Under your feet, in front of your toes, pain. In your kidneys, incredible pain . . . knowing you are dying because no one could have this much pain without dying. And the worst of it is that you don't know what is causing it. Sorry this happened to y'all.--Kinnickinic