PDA

View Full Version : Bear Activity at Cosby Knob shelter in GSMNP

Veetack
05-22-2012, 19:27
I stayed at Cosby Knob last night and at dusk a ridiculously large bear came snooping up a bit too close for comfort. I talked to other hikers at Standing Bear this morning and several had told me that this guy stays in the area and likes to get close. If you're running through there, take extra care in storing your food.

HikerMom58
05-22-2012, 21:29
Thanks for heads up Veetack!!

judypudy
05-23-2012, 01:47
Have a reservation there for a section hike in June. Hoping I'm not the only one spending the night there.

coach lou
05-23-2012, 08:02
Have a reservation there for a section hike in June. Hoping I'm not the only one spending the night there.

Judy, Judy, Judy.... with Mr. Grizz in your backyard, your worried about a few Black Bear?

Chaco Taco
05-23-2012, 08:41
Its pretty common this time of year in that area and north of the Smokies especially around Watauga Lake :D

Mike2012
05-23-2012, 10:28
There were cub and adult sightings at Iron Mountain Shelter both north and south of the shelter and at the spring (above Watuga as Chaco Taco says).

Veetack
05-24-2012, 03:59
Funny story about this incident, actually. There was a young boy hiking with his father staying with us in the shelter, and he was kind of scared, so I told him that the bear was coming up just to tell him that only he could prevent forest fires. Provided a good laugh at a somewhat tense moment.

Chaco Taco
05-24-2012, 05:53
Funny story about this incident, actually. There was a young boy hiking with his father staying with us in the shelter, and he was kind of scared, so I told him that the bear was coming up just to tell him that only he could prevent forest fires. Provided a good laugh at a somewhat tense moment.
You gotta keep a sense of humor about it.:)

mattsvensson
05-24-2012, 17:41
Actually, 13MAY, a guy had a bear canister "stolen" at Cosby Knob Shelter. He left it outside the shelter (on the ground) and, at about 6:30, we woke up and saw the bear down the hill by the stream, but never found the canister.

Lyte-w8-hyker
05-24-2012, 20:42
any pictures?

Veetack
05-25-2012, 17:35
any pictures?

I only carry my iPhone as a camera, but unfortunately it was just a little too dark, and nothing would come out.

Patton
05-28-2012, 22:36
Stayed at Derrick Knob in early may and had a visit similar to this at about 840pm. I tried to get ;photos but the flash was off and when I got it turned on, all I got was the eyes. He was about 15 yards from the front of the shelter. Cool experience though.

One-8T
05-29-2012, 12:36
I stayed at Cosby Knob last night and at dusk a ridiculously large bear came snooping up a bit too close for comfort. I talked to other hikers at Standing Bear this morning and several had told me that this guy stays in the area and likes to get close. If you're running through there, take extra care in storing your food.

GSMNP Ranger called me the morning to tell me they changed my reservation from Cosby Knob to site 29 because they just closed that shelter. No word on how long, but he said the bear activity was becoming multiple aggressive bear activity.

Anyone used site 29 and know how far off trail it is?

The Cleaner
05-29-2012, 13:58
GSMNP Ranger called me the morning to tell me they changed my reservation from Cosby Knob to site 29 because they just closed that shelter. No word on how long, but he said the bear activity was becoming multiple aggressive bear activity.

Anyone used site 29 and know how far off trail it is? It's been many years since I was at #29 and I'd say it's in another location now.I think it may be a few miles down Snake Den Mtn. trail..

One-8T
05-29-2012, 14:09
It's been many years since I was at #29 and I'd say it's in another location now.I think it may be a few miles down Snake Den Mtn. trail..

Thanks. I pulled the map and it is off of Snake Den Ridge and then down Maddron Bald Trail. Looks like it may be about 2.5 miles one way.

flemdawg1
05-29-2012, 15:35

Anyone used site 29 and know how far off trail it is?

Crap, I'm supposed to be there Sat night. I guess Walnut Bottoms is my alternative SOBO? Or should I also go to 29?

One-8T
05-29-2012, 15:38
Crap, I'm supposed to be there Sat night. I guess Walnut Bottoms is my alternative SOBO? Or should I also go to 29?

The ranger indicated to me that he was calling everyone that had reservations and telling them what there new site was. I tried to change mine up and change my days and mileage to another shelter and just skip this Cosby Knob, but he said everything was booked solid in both directions....

judypudy
05-29-2012, 16:02
@one-8T- when was your reservation for Cosby Knob? I have one for June 8 - tried to change last week but same problem with full shelters.

One-8T
05-29-2012, 16:12
@one-8T- when was your reservation for Cosby Knob? I have one for June 8 - tried to change last week but same problem with full shelters.

I was scheduled for Cosby Knob on June 28th. I am starting to think about changing the entire agenda but all shelters are at capacity it seems.

judypudy
05-30-2012, 09:25
So got the call from the rangers this am. Was thinking I would have to skip GSMNP but by changing dates by one day, I'm reserved at the other AT shelters. Yay! What a relief - was impressed by the job the rangers did. Must be such a PITA to call all these people.

flemdawg1
05-30-2012, 10:21
Weird, I just called the BC reservations office to make sure I get the right (or any) campsite and they already had me moved to Walnut Bottoms. (#36).

born2weld
06-06-2012, 00:01
I was moved from Cosby to #37 for 6/19. I'm staying at Pecks on 6/18 I guess
this will be a 14 mile day?

Veetack
06-08-2012, 17:25
I was at the Fontana Hilton yesterday morning, and there was a posting there that Cosby Knob Shelter has been closed due to bear activity now. That's a tough loss, because it's a great jumpoff point into Davenport.

flemdawg1
06-11-2012, 12:41
Just got back from the Smokies. Some people have been staying there, but ridgerunners are in the area. And rangers have been alerted to folks staying there.

In a related note, if you're dumb enough to break the rules by staying in the closed shelter, don't sign the register saying you did such. Ridgerunners and rangers do read them.

tain4x4
06-22-2012, 23:17
Mice are WAY worse at cs29 than any shelter I have stayed at in the smokies. Had two friends get holes chewed in their packs one night, and unless your hammocking a level tent site is pretty much nonexistent.

aaronthebugbuffet
06-23-2012, 05:19
Mice are WAY worse at cs29 than any shelter I have stayed at in the smokies. Had two friends get holes chewed in their packs one night, and unless your hammocking a level tent site is pretty much nonexistent.
I remember having a hard time finding a nice spot at 29 as there were a few others already tenting there.
I don't recall any mice though.

rmitchell
06-23-2012, 08:43
Don't stay at closed shelters. They are closed for a reason. There is a ridgerunner active as well as a backcountry ranger who can issue a ticket. Also the park service frequently installs cameras at closed sites to record movements of the bears to help determine when to reopen closed sites.
Just got back from the Smokies. Some people have been staying there, but ridgerunners are in the area. And rangers have been alerted to folks staying there.

In a related note, if you're dumb enough to break the rules by staying in the closed shelter, don't sign the register saying you did such. Ridgerunners and rangers do read them.

RED-DOG
06-23-2012, 12:12
Man that bears been around their for years, every time i go thru their i see him.:confused:

Joe Merchant
07-12-2012, 21:43
Was at Cosby July 7. Shelter just recently reopened (was closed when I made original reservations mid June). Water decent. We did not see a bear. All were very careful with food. We even cabled our packs. Talked with a "mountain man" while at Standing Bear and while hiking in the region recently he had to run off a bear with rocks. The bear charged him 3 times growling, barring its teeth and slapping the ground! Point being the Ranger Rick advice to click your poles at the bears may not always work.

MuddyWaters
07-12-2012, 23:47
Was at Cosby July 7. Shelter just recently reopened (was closed when I made original reservations mid June). Water decent. We did not see a bear. All were very careful with food. We even cabled our packs. Talked with a "mountain man" while at Standing Bear and while hiking in the region recently he had to run off a bear with rocks. The bear charged him 3 times growling, barring its teeth and slapping the ground! Point being the Ranger Rick advice to click your poles at the bears may not always work.

That sounds like textbook bluffing from a frightened bear, that didnt want to leave the area, possibly either food or cubs.

Joe Merchant
07-13-2012, 07:07
If you have to throw rocks at the bear wounding him is that really a bluff! More like bullying. This same fellow (and I believed he was telling the truth) had other encounters with aggressive bears. He wanders the side trails of the Smokys. He told of another incident where the bear was "bluffing" and when a pack of wild hogs came by the bear took off after a small hog! Another hiker coming from Springer for a major section hike told of a hammocker who had a bear bite his foot while in the hammock. This fellow had to chase off the bear 3 times before it got quiet again. Nancy or Andrea at the Hike Inn told of a couple of thruhikers run out of their tent by a bear over a forgotten tube of chapstick. I think aggressive bear activity is more common than we are led to believe.

MuddyWaters
07-14-2012, 16:22
Barring teeth, popping jaws, biting at the air, slapping ground with paw, charging at you then stopping, are a bears way of saying "get away from me, you are too close". A bear can have a reason it doesnt want to leave an area , even though it is frightened . Often a food source , or cubs.

That is not the same as being aggressive.

When it comes close and does not display those symptoms, then you need to start worrying, because the bear is not afraid. Aggressive bears, are generally bears that are not afraid of people.

Quite a few hammockers have been "mouthed" by a bear, not uncommon, the bears are curious.

Joe Merchant
07-15-2012, 09:36
"Often a food source ,"

Thanks MuddyWaters for your comments. I am new to black bear interactions. Are you a biologist or ranger? What is your expertise? The mountain man indicated the bear wanted his pack not that he was too close. When he missed with the rocks the bear would run over and smell the rocks. The mountain man felt sure the bear was trying to "bluff" him out of his pack. Interesting about the hammockers being mouthed.

MuddyWaters
07-15-2012, 13:14
I have heard of people stalked by bears that wanted their pack and food in it, often out west and in drought areas.

Unless someone gave it food previously when it exhibited that behavior, then it might learn to expect it. It would only take once.

MuddyWaters
07-15-2012, 16:44
from another thread

"The ranger also said that three times in the last two weeks campers sleeping in hammocks had been "mouthed" by bears at night. The ranger said the bears did not bite the folks, but rather the bears were just checking out the hammock contents by getting their jaws around what was inside. "

Rhythmic
09-28-2012, 02:04
When we were looking into scheduling our itinerary for our upcoming hike, over the next couple of weeks, Cosby was again closed, it just re-opened early last week... when the BC Office informed me of this, the lady insisted that we could go ahead and stay there, I stuck to our initial back-up of CS 36 because it's obvious this shelter has frequent problems.. the shelter was also closed for an extended period this time last year. Since we will still be passing through this same area, I'm curious as to something that was previously mentioned by MuddyWaters....

Last year when we hiked Fontana to Newfound, we heard the sound of some bear cubs about 30-40 yards off the trail just south of Silers (at that time, closed)... no biggie, we made noise and kept on truckin'. The next day after leaving Double Springs Gap, a mile or so south of Clingmans, we had a rather large (for a black bear) male cross the trail about 20 yards ahead of us. I just happen to see the black "shadow" moving through, up ahead of us. I stopped my cousin, explained what I saw, and assured him it was in fact a bear... so, based on everything that we had ever read, we began talking loudly, clinking poles & stainless-steel water bottles together and slowly moved on up trail --- again, the bear had already crossed the trail, so I assumed we would not be "blocking his path". As we passed by him, he stood about 15' off the trail to our left and just watched us as we passed by. I didn't dare look his way, just kept facing forward while watching him out of the corner of my eye from behind my sunglasses... we continued speaking loudly and making noise as we passed. This bear did not budge... didn't seem to be intimidated in the least... just calmly watched us pass.

So, does that mean you're saying that we were actually at greater risk since he was NOT acting aggressively towards us?

If so, I'd be interested to know for future reference before we step off on our next section on Wednesday.

Bear Cables
09-28-2012, 11:56
"Often a food source ,"

Thanks MuddyWaters for your comments. I am new to black bear interactions. Are you a biologist or ranger? What is your expertise? The mountain man indicated the bear wanted his pack not that he was too close. When he missed with the rocks the bear would run over and smell the rocks. The mountain man felt sure the bear was trying to "bluff" him out of his pack. Interesting about the hammockers being mouthed.

If you are new to Bear behavior or as I did, for a while, have the bear heebie jeebies, check out the North American Bear Centers website. Lots of good information. One suggestion given by their researchers was to shake a black garbage bag at the bear. They get use to banging pots and pans and hiking poles. They are more scared of the unfamiliar.

MuddyWaters
09-28-2012, 22:55
A bear watching you pass close by may mean it isnt afraid, but that doesnt mean its aggressive. It may be used to people, many park bears are.

I dont remember seeing anything about Cosby being closed over the last few months.

I packed out a 1lb box of wet pasta someone left on table there 2 weeks ago . No surprise to attract bears with that behaviour.
74 miles and we didnt see any bears, except there was a small one at Icewater's spring that ran off quickly when two people went to get water and surprised it..

MuddyWaters
09-28-2012, 22:57
Of course I sleep with earplugs in so unless one decides to taste me, Im unlikely to know its there anyway. Heck I never saw or heard a mouse either. Earplugs are wonderful.

Rhythmic
09-30-2012, 20:52
A bear watching you pass close by may mean it isnt afraid, but that doesnt mean its aggressive. It may be used to people, many park bears are.

I dont remember seeing anything about Cosby being closed over the last few months.

I packed out a 1lb box of wet pasta someone left on table there 2 weeks ago . No surprise to attract bears with that behaviour.
74 miles and we didnt see any bears, except there was a small one at Icewater's spring that ran off quickly when two people went to get water and surprised it..

Thanks, I was just curious that I may have been acting in too confident of a manner in retrospect, based on past information I had looked into.

Yeah, when I called the backcountry reservations office, the lady who took my call didn't think it had been closed recently either... I swear it was listed under the facility/road closures on the actual nps website along with cs 21. After we got off the phone I went back and double-checked it, cs 21 was still listed but not Cosby. Perhaps it was an error on the website because she certainly didn't know about what I was referring to.

johnnybgood
09-30-2012, 21:16
Never saw any bear activity warning signs when passing thru there 4 weeks ago. I did however see a small bear high up ,50 ft my est.,in a tree coming down the Low Gap Trail.

ThinAirDesigns
11-12-2012, 13:57
Never saw any bear activity warning signs when passing thru there 4 weeks ago. I did however see a small bear high up ,50 ft my est.,in a tree coming down the Low Gap Trail.

Spend Friday night at this shelter (11/09/12). Large and varied group (mostly unregistered). Everyone there was knowledgeable and well equipped -- just lazy and inebriated.

Several packs with food inside (including bacon) were left hanging from the rafters above the food prep area and predictably a bear came by repeatedly in the night and began picking them off one by one (as folk slept off the whiskey and pharmaceuticals).

It was nice to see the careless rewarded (one guy never even found his pack and lost phone, ipod touch, IDs, camera, etc), but not good to see the bear encouraged. This will not end well for the bear.

JB