PDA

View Full Version : Bugs ?? in Conn.

speedbump
05-22-2012, 19:31
Will be hiking Conn as a section hike soon with the boyfriend. Anyone been hiking in Conn, how are the bugs this year. Last year at this time when we hiked VT, they were brutal ! We could not stop for a second ! But, it did make the miles faster : ) :-?

Wise Old Owl
05-22-2012, 19:36
Permethrin on clothes and ultrathon on skin. Works great!

speedbump
05-22-2012, 19:38
I am not familiar with permithrin, is this a lotion ?

Wise Old Owl
05-22-2012, 19:48
no its a soak... Look here for details ... it's in the higher quality bug nets and clothes.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent-24-Ounce/dp/B001ANQVYU

coach lou
05-22-2012, 20:02
I have been out at least once a month since October, including this past weekend. The mosquitos were not ferocious, but late in the afternoon saturday it was muggy, and when I came out in the grass at rands view I could not hang around too long, they were moving me along. The black flies were not biting, they were buzzing eyes and noses. The trail in lighted sections had tall grass going to seed and I managed to pick up NO ticks, but I am super vigilant about checking and not staying too long in the grass. I also use Ultrathon, alittle goes a long way. I've used many different deet concoctions, but found Ultrathon and have used it in many areas and I'm sold. Doesn't melt Goretex, varnish or skin.

Wise Old Owl
05-22-2012, 20:09
Ok Couch, this tickles my funny bone and I am going to PM you cus your avatar is so small....and the bugs are bigger than you let on....

Driver8
05-23-2012, 09:43
I was eaten alive Saturday in the lower elevation areas of Stratton, having forgotten insect repellent. I didn't repeat that mistake Sunday, brought spray with me Sunday when hiking Bash Bish just over the line in Mass, and went unmolested by our six-and-eight-legged friends.

RedBeerd
05-23-2012, 11:00

Yeah, that! Ill be hiking the CT section starting tomorrow. With freshly treated clothes and lotion im thinking what bugs?

Joker4ink
05-26-2012, 03:12
Be sure to bring your headnet!

Monkeywrench
05-26-2012, 07:59

Doesn't do a damned thing for the black flies. I think they drink Permethrin for breakfast.

Ironbelly
05-26-2012, 08:13
I live and hike in CT all the time. The bugs in general every year in CT arn't that bad. This year is no different, they are out there of course, but they arn't that bad. Normal measures work on CT bugs, like regular bug sprays, head net in some instances, and the best method of all that I have found is treating your clothing in permetherin. You can pick up permetherin from alot of outdoor stores, including rei, ems, walmart. You can save some $$ by going to places like Tractor Supply and looking at their insectisides and find one that is only permetherin concentrate and dilute as nbeccesary to soak your clothes. The spray treatments are good for like 3-5 washes, and the soak treatment is good for like 40-50 washes.

Oh, and we don't allow black flies in CT. So you don't have to worry about them. Once you cross the state line though your on your own.

moldy
05-26-2012, 14:43
Bugs are bad right now. If you want to improve the quality of your hike you should go as late in the summer as you can. Late August will be better.

rocketsocks
05-27-2012, 07:12
Will be hiking Conn as a section hike soon with the boyfriend. Anyone been hiking in Conn, how are the bugs this year. Last year at this time when we hiked VT, they were brutal ! We could not stop for a second ! But, it did make the miles faster : ) :-?I hear the Jackanapes are purticuly troubling in kent this year.They just buzz around in your ear making niose....but there harmless.have a great hike speedbump,and as always....HYOH