PDA

View Full Version : new rules for hiking in winter at mt. rogers

Frog
04-09-2005, 06:29
:-? I havent seen the rules myself yet. My brother read some of them to me that he got in one of his boy scout books. The trail is suppose to be closed if the tempature is real low or with a forecast for snow or freezing rain. If the winds are above 35 m.p.h. This has came about because of the two rescues up there this winter. Maybe some one else can post all the rules as i dont have them right now.

SGT Rock
04-09-2005, 07:08
Nothing on their website. But then again it didn't have the rules posted anywhere that I could find them.

Stoker53
04-09-2005, 08:00
Closing wild places because they are dangerous is, in my opinion, a knee jerk reaction by people motivated by staying within their budget. Hope this is not true.

Make the area a "no rescue zone", require special permits that mandate gear insspection, charge for rescue opertations but don't close it to the very people who would relish the experience of winter packing.

chris
04-09-2005, 19:14
Make the area a "no rescue zone", require special permits that mandate gear insspection, charge for rescue opertations but don't close it to the very people who would relish the experience of winter packing.

Definitely. Besides, Mt. Rogers is a pretty tame area and it seems like it would be hard for a prepared backpacker to get into any trouble they couldn't get out of on their own.