PDA

View Full Version : REI rant.

flatfeet
05-23-2012, 04:36
Does anyone else not like REI? It seems all there products are too heavy/bulky. And the options for thru hiking sorely lacking.

Not only that but they continue to promote this outdated mode of backpacking- 5lb backpacks, full size 2 inch thick sleeping pads, leather boots, 3lb one man tents.

It's obvious that more and more people are going lightweight/or ultra lightweight. And yet REI carries almost no lightweight gear. There lightest backpack is almost 3 lbs. They have no alcohol stoves. No backpacking pots. No quilts.

I like their return policy. But they have almost no gear I would even consider buying. So the return policy doesn't really apply. I would buy socks there. But that is about it.

Would it be so difficult to hire some designers to promote a new UL line? Or is it that UL just doesn't sell and people want the 5lb external frame backpack with all useless bells and whistles?

-I realize UL isn't for everyone. But in this day and age there in absolutely no reason why anyone would need, and i stress need a 30+ pound backpack.-

Firefighter503
05-23-2012, 05:40
I disagree. Most of their packs fall in line with the current 'backpacking model.' They are also much lighter than the packs of past generations. Plenty of people thru hike just fine in REI branded/sold gear.

I own a Vargo alcohol stove, and an REI TiWare pot, both from REI. Both lightweight.

Like it or not, UL has not become mainstream yet. Generally speaking, people going into the woods tend to overpack at first, hence the need for larger/heavier packs. Until people are educated differently from the start, that ain't going to change. Even after being educated, people will carry extras based on what they are comfortable with.

This from a reformed (read: formerly traditional with 40 lbs of ****) backpacker with a 9 lb base weight.

Velvet Gooch
05-23-2012, 05:52
It's been decades since REI's primary focus was on equipment for serious climbers, backpackers and mountaineering expeditions.

people want the 5lb external frame backpack with all useless bells and whistles?

I'll never give up my Dana Design/K2 Terraframe. I purchased four of them back in the day: one for backpacking, one for hunting and two spares. Ever

Bags4266
05-23-2012, 05:56
I agree, there stores are nice to look around but I hardly ever buy.

KYLarry
05-23-2012, 05:59
I have been buying from REI for years, and plan on continuing to do so. Perhaps REI has not adopted the UL model, but they certainly have plenty of other gear besides packs to choose from. I would venture to guess that thru-hikers don't represent the vast majority of those that enjoy backpacking and even camping in general. I have been backpacking for close to 20 yrs and will probably never thru-hike, but if I did decide to do so I would probably go for a pack made by one of the cottage industry gear makers like ULA. Besides that, REI-branded clothing and other gear are made well and the return policy is second to none.

It certainly doesn't bother me that that you are not an REI fan, as I have no dog in that fight, but I think that they do a solid job of providing great gear to a very large audience of outdoor enthusiasts.

peakbagger
05-23-2012, 05:59
REI and other mainstream stores are handicapped by expectation that equipment bought is guaranteed for life no matter what the purchaser does with it. They also have to buy gear at a steep discount to retail in order to cover overhead (including the lifetime guarantee). Much of the ultralight gear is built to minimize weight and that means going with less durable materials that will take less abuse. A typical ultralight buyer will realize the trade off between weight and durability, but a mainstream buyer will not necessarilly, leading to a lot of claims for replacements or oney back. This costs them money. A small ultraight firm can sell direct to the public so they can cover their higher costs of manufacture, if they had to sell at a markup to REI or another high end retailer, the utilmate price would be far higher and this would discourage sales.

Rocket Jones
05-23-2012, 06:00
REI makes it's money from the weekend warriors, not from thru hikers. Catering to the dedicated long distance hiker is a good way to go out of business. That said, it's perfectly reasonable to buy every piece of gear from REI and successfully complete a thru hike. Maybe not the most comfortable way to go, but certainly doable.

Rif
05-23-2012, 06:04
Well after standing in a line halfway around the local REI to checkout last Friday evening, the first night of the sale I would say they have plenty of what the average person wants.

Most of the true UL stuff is made by small cottage industries that typically sell directly. There are a few exceptions that do wholesale but most mainstream selelrs, REI and EMS cater to the masses. In most cases REI stuff is priced right, has a great return policy and when on sale is an even better bargain.

Most everything I own other than my Gossamer Gear pack came from either REI or Backcountry and bought at a huge sale discount.

Rif

Nutbrown
05-23-2012, 06:45
I'll disagree also. REI does well what it does. Maybe they don't have a lot of ul, but what they have is quality brands they stand behind. Clothing outfitters and geer outfitters are for the outdoorsy type, not for thru hikers.

Mrs Baggins
05-23-2012, 06:46
My REI Flash backpack weighs just over 2 lbs. I have their Ti Ware coffee cup and .9 ltr cookpot, both featherweight. Pocket Rocket stove purchased there - 3 oz. Thermarest Neoair mat bought there - 8 oz. REI Subkilo down sleeping bag - the name says it all, less than 2 lbs. All of that is light enough for me and apparently for many others since it all sells so well. I'll take some comforts over trying to get pack weight down to way under 20 lbs. I can deal with the pack weight but not sleeping on a sheet of tyvek in a gossamer thin bivy.

Don H
05-23-2012, 06:59
The guys at my store are fairly knowledgable.
Many of the sales staff that work at my local REI are thru-hikers.
They have lots of stuff thru-hikers use.

I bought several items from them that I used.
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack
MSR Pocket Rocket stove
Platypus water bladders
Thermarest NeoAir sleeping pad

They also have good variety of shoes, insoles and socks.

They don't carry a UL tent that I would want for a thru, maybe because these are likely to be damaged easily.

plurpimpin
05-23-2012, 08:09
REI has a fair selection of UL stuff, just not in the store, you have to order online but then you can return in the store. I bought a Granite Gear Crown VC 60 from REI's website and then returned it in the store because it did not fit right. My local REI also stocks TI pots, titanium Vargo alcohol stoves, and ultralite pads like expeds and neo airs. Alot of gear you've requested is very specialized so it's not really a surprise that REI doesn't carry it. I mean I could count on one hand how many companies make quilts and UL packs.

The other thing to keep in mind with UL backpacking is that you have to know what you're doing. It's very different skill set from traditional backpacking. It's all about getting by with less and if you lack the knowledge to do so you could end up in alot of trouble. I actually had a lengthy discussion about this with an REI employee last week when I was there getting a set up superfeet for my trail runners. He admitted that he doesn't even own boots anymore. He said the problem is you can't give joe public that comes in for hiking boots a pair of trail runners unless they have the appropriate conditioning and lightweight kit to go along with it. They'll end up going out and hurting themselves. Alot of people don't understand that getting by with less can actually make their experience more pleasant by reducing their pack weight.

plurpimpin
05-23-2012, 08:11
Oh and I forgot to add, if you have such a problem with REI go shop somewhere else. You don't see anyone coming on here and complaining that Dick's sporting goods or Walmart don't have a good selection of UL gear, we all know it's not their market so we shop at other stores.

Don H
05-23-2012, 08:23
Dick's Sporting Goods has those little rolls of ultra light toilet paper that I like.

Tinker
05-23-2012, 08:23
REI guarantees everything that they sell, no questions asked (unless you are known as a habitual abuser of their liberal return policy).
They really cannot afford to carry anything that is less than reasonably durable. Ultralight gear tends to be more fragile (and expensive) than mainstream hiking gear.
Specializing in fragile, expensive gear is not the best way to make (and keep) money.

You can find plenty of light, durable gear at REI. It just won't be cutting edge. That segment of the market will be satisfied by gearheads in small quantities in garages and barns (until they realize that they can't make production demands - then it may be made overseas).

garlic08
05-23-2012, 08:34
I don't buy candy, so I don't go to the candy store. But I have nothing against the candy store, its owner, or the people who go there. So I don't care if REI (stands for "Return Every Item") doesn't sell stuff I don't use anymore. I just don't go there.

I understand some of your frustration, though. They do seem to have changed over the years. I was displeased when my local store in CO stopped carrying a good stock of X-C ski wax in order to display more children's Patagucci fleece booties or whatever. But hey, my fellow shoppers were way more interested in buying booties and spent more in one visit than I ever did in many seasons of ski wax, so it made business sense. Coop members want that dividend.

jakedatc
05-23-2012, 08:50
Osprey Exos series backpacks, REI and Snowpeak Ti pots, Pocket rocket stove, Patagonia and marmot 800 fill puffys, icebreaker and patagonia merino baselayers, REI subkilo bag, BA air core and TR neoair air pads,

ever think that some placed don't SELL their stuff TO REI ?

DavidNH
05-23-2012, 09:00
I disagree as well. There's nothing unreasonable about REI. Frankly, I think you are being a bit of an ultralight snob.
My backpack weighs 5 lbs empty. I thru hiked the AT in 06 carrying loads ranging from 30 lbs to 55 pounds fully loaded. Some of us don't want to go into down every few days to re stock.

I would suspect that the true ultra light folks are in a very small minority among the general hiking public.

davidnh

Cuffs
05-23-2012, 09:08
I shop REI like I shop for other things in life. I get what I need from them and get other things at other stores. I've never seen any one outfitter have everything I need. Just as one department store will not have an entire outfit. One grocery store will not have every ingredient for a recipe.

Get what you need. Get out. Move on. Quit complaining.

Stink Bug
05-23-2012, 09:14
Somebody made a gear list a year or so ago to show you can get decent, UL gear from REI...http://lytw8.com/uploads/REI_Ultra_Light_Gear_List.pdf

Admittedly some of the gear is a little out of date, but it's still more than capable. As others have said, if you don't like REI, don't shop there; I'm sure Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear, ZPacks, Trail Designs, Katabatic Gear etc will be more than happy to take your money.

ATMountainTime
05-23-2012, 09:17
REI is ok. They have a 30% off sale right now, which is the only time i shop them. Otherwise i stick to the mom and pop packer shops to support thier buisness. even if it means paying a little more.

But REI does employ my next wife. she works in the backpacking side, and has completed a thru hike...

Suckerfish
05-23-2012, 10:46
I never discriminate when purchasing equipment. I buy what I need, test it out and see if it fits the job or not. REI, I go there simply because it is close. Howevever I think they are expensive and overwhelming. They have products for just about every person who enjoys the outdoors. You just have to take time and disect what they have in regards to your personal needs. For instance, I purchased an MSR Sweetwater filter there and a new snow peak ultra light stove. the snow peak fits right into my pot and weighs ounzes. I would put that stove up against any other stove on the trail.

I have used alchohal stoves in the past, I dont like how much fuel consumtion they need and the fuel does add to pack weight. However REI here in dunwoody, Ga has alchohol stoves.

I also got a big agnes 72 mummy pad from there, is it light, no but I am ok with it. It is insulated and allows me to pack a lighter sleeping bag due to the isnulation, it's also well worth the comofort when sleeping.

I think REI is what it is, a superstore for outdoor products. Really it is one of a kind when you compaire it to anything else out there, Bass Pro, Cabela's and even Dicks. Rei blows them all away with their product line in my opinion. Just know what you're looking for before you head in there and know they have products for all types of outdoors.

Spokes
05-23-2012, 11:01
If REI only served the niche of UL hikers they would either be a cottage industry run out of someone's garage or would be out of business.

Lone Wolf
05-23-2012, 11:04
Campmor is the only place i buy stuff

Spokes
05-23-2012, 11:06
I like Campmor too. They've ramped up customer service lately and improved shipping delivery times based on my recent purchases. Yeehaw!

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 13:20
Does anyone else not like REI? It seems all there products are too heavy/bulky. And the options for thru hiking sorely lacking.

Not only that but they continue to promote this outdated mode of backpacking- 5lb backpacks, full size 2 inch thick sleeping pads, leather boots, 3lb one man tents.

It's obvious that more and more people are going lightweight/or ultra lightweight. And yet REI carries almost no lightweight gear. There lightest backpack is almost 3 lbs. They have no alcohol stoves. No backpacking pots. No quilts.

I like their return policy. But they have almost no gear I would even consider buying. So the return policy doesn't really apply. I would buy socks there. But that is about it.

Would it be so difficult to hire some designers to promote a new UL line? Or is it that UL just doesn't sell and people want the 5lb external frame backpack with all useless bells and whistles?

-I realize UL isn't for everyone. But in this day and age there in absolutely no reason why anyone would need, and i stress need a 30+ pound backpack.-Hey Flatfoot,I know you are talking about gear here,but since you listed as a "Rant"well I figure I can chime in.A while back REI hosted a rock climb/clean-up at a local place where I hike.We couldn't climb that day because of all the blow downs from a ice/snow storm,but instead spent the day clearing trees off the trail.Even though we couldn't climb and the event called off,REI reps still showed up,and served us coffee and dounuts,bagels,juice and more.In addition to all the good eats,they gave awya all kinds of stuff,a few items of which I got include a Aluminum bottle w/quick closing cap,coupons with no expiration,which I have since used,and some T-shirts,These T-shirts were not the cotten cheapies,but instead are of fine quality polyeaster that wicks,I was very immpressed,and the day went well.So...I'm bias,and like REI but not for that reason alone jm2c thanks

WIAPilot
05-23-2012, 13:30
Hey Flatfoot,I know you are talking about gear here,but since you listed as a "Rant"well I figure I can chime in.A while back REI hosted a rock climb/clean-up at a local place where I hike.We couldn't climb that day because of all the blow downs from a ice/snow storm,but instead spent the day clearing trees off the trail.Even though we couldn't climb and the event called off,REI reps still showed up,and served us coffee and dounuts,bagels,juice and more.In addition to all the good eats,they gave awya all kinds of stuff,a few items of which I got include a Aluminum bottle w/quick closing cap,coupons with no expiration,which I have since used,and some T-shirts,These T-shirts were not the cotten cheapies,but instead are of fine quality polyeaster that wicks,I was very immpressed,and the day went well.So...I'm bias,and like REI but not for that reason alone jm2c thanks

I don't care if some of this is marketing. This makes me like REI too, although I like a few other companies too.

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 13:39
I don't care if some of this is marketing. This makes me like REI too, although I like a few other companies too.yep,EMS was there also with some giveaways,and vouchers with no expiration 25% off I think it was ,I may still have one of those laying around.

Feral Bill
05-23-2012, 13:43
No ones has mentioned that REI is a co-op, owned by its members, who get a share of any profits based on their purchases. Management and staff are hired by the co-op and receive competative compensation. Most members do not actively take part in management, but certainly can. It is a different business model that owes nothing to anyone but the members. That gets my support, even though I do not agree with every decision.

Old Boots
05-23-2012, 14:26
REI has a broad cross section of outdoor equipment, by far the best that I have near me. I have purchased UL stuff from them. I just purchased some La Sportiva trail runners. They carry Neoair and Exped sleeping pads. They carry Mountain Hardware down bags and hammocks, bivys and tarps, alcohol stoves, etc. I purchased a Big Agnes's Fly Creek tent. All of that generally qualifies as UL I believe.

Odd Man Out
05-23-2012, 15:06
As pointed out, each retailer has its own niche, and each item of gear in your bag is likely to come from a different category of retailer, depending on your needs. The closet specialty on-line gear retailers (ULA, MLD, TT, etc) are popular for some items (packs, tents), but don't provide much advantage when shopping for nylon gym shorts. One of the world's most popular stoves can't be purchased for any price (excluding the $0.50 cat food can from the grocery store). As already pointed out, shops like REI are the best place to get certain kinds of items. There is no one kind of retailer that is best for everything.

fins1838
05-23-2012, 15:27
just the kind of store i'd invest in. selling gear to people who cut toothbrushes in half & pull out bristles to make them lighter ;-) Go broke in 3 months. No matter what I can't get my pack under 33 lbs, so I just except it & move on. But one of these days I'm gonna get me a lighter tent. Just can't handle sleeping on plywood floors in the shelters.

leaftye
05-23-2012, 16:22
It doesn't help that REI won't be carrying Golite gear anymore, but that's no fault of REI.

Theosus
05-23-2012, 16:40
I like them... They have some decent stuff and helpful staff, and getting my dividend back was nice. I just wish they were closer. I have to drive 2 hours to get to one. I shop my local backpacker place too... It's closer without as much selection, but those guys know their stuff. One of the guys thru hiked twice.... If anyone knows gear, he probably does.
REI example: InReach is on sale this week, for 199 from 249. Plus my 20% member coupon makes it 169. End of year I'll get $16 back, making my total cost $153... A hundred dollar savings. My local store can't come close, and that's $100 I can save and use on gas to go hiking in NC...

rhjanes
05-23-2012, 16:55
REI example: InReach is on sale this week, for 199 from 249. Plus my 20% member coupon makes it 169. End of year I'll get $16 back, making my total cost $153... A hundred dollar savings. My local store can't come close, and that's $100 I can save and use on gas to go hiking in NC...You sure? I just went today to my local REI. The Marmont rain pants were already on sale, so the 20 percent did NOT count towards them (the coupon states REGULAR PRICED ITEM). So the 20 percent came off a water-proof stuff sack (most expensive non-sale item I purchased). But yeah, I'll get year end savings. I used last years dividend cut off a third of the cost of my 2.8 pound pack (I guess that is only lightweight and not the OP's Ultra-lightweight).

Sailing_Faith
05-23-2012, 19:13
I like REI. I wish I had one close to where I live (nearest one is 6 hours away). I have been a member for a long time and have no complaints with them....

.... but I do not enjoy complaining nearly as much as some folks do.... so there IS that.....

Maybe it is just my problem that I don't dislike REI... but hey, I like SNP too and most folks seem to want to complain about that too. :)

ChinMusic
05-23-2012, 21:54
I like REI. I use an REI credit card for many of my purchases during the year.

REI's business model is not catered towards the thru-hiker. It is catered to the weekend warrior. But, looking at my go-to thru-hiking gear I do find many items I can get at REI.

Pack - nope (ZPacks)
Bags - nope (Montbell)
tent - nope (LightHeart)
pad - yep (NeoAir)
shoes - nope (New Balance)
socks - yep (Smartwool)
pants - yep (RIE Sahara)
drawers - nope (Under Armour)
shirt - nope (they carry Icebreaker but not the one I like most)
gloves - yep (REI liner type)
overmitts - nope (Mountain Laurel)
windshirt - yep (Marmot)
rain jacket - nope (Montbell)
rain kilt - nope (Zpacks)
parka - nope (Nunatak)
poles -yep (Leki)
headlamp - yep (Black Diamond)
water Tx - yep (Steripen)
watch - yep (Suunto Core)
permethrin - kinda (got the spray but not the soak)

Bottom line: Who besides REI would do better on my list? I doubt anyone.

bwburgin1015
05-23-2012, 22:12
I've seen quite a bit of lightweight gear there...perhaps not UL...but good luck finding that at any standard outfitter. Their flash series packs are lighter than most name brands.

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 23:01
I like REI. I wish I had one close to where I live (nearest one is 6 hours away). I have been a member for a long time and have no complaints with them....

.... but I do not enjoy complaining nearly as much as some folks do.... so there IS that.....

Maybe it is just my problem that I don't dislike REI... but hey, I like SNP too and most folks seem to want to complain about that too. :)Oh my gosh SF,you have to sail 6 hours to get to REI,thats ruff.Where do you Slip the Ship?:D

AAhiker
05-23-2012, 23:21
As a card carrying(except i lost the actual card) REI Co-op member I think they are okay. They are a bit overpriced(so is EMS) but they have good service, decent sales, I was disappointed in my dividend check because I spent a lot more money there last year but... It is a great company, listed as one of the top 100 employers in the country annually I think in the top 10 as of a paper I did last year, and they have a huge variety of stuff. I agree with most people here they need to purchase what the general consumer is interested in. I think they have something for everyone but not everything for everyone. I look at it like when I worked at PETCO. They had a lot of great stuff, but the companies that sold to the pet food foodies refused to sell to them because they couldn't keep up the quality at a higher volume. I am a pet food foodie. Anyway I have definately been frustrated with REI and always search the web for the BBD(bigger better deal) but I think they are a great company as a whole. With out them think of how many people would probably never make it out into the woods to see what they are missing.

Big Dawg
05-23-2012, 23:48

.-

I disagree w/ your "rant". Totally false information.

Several recent examples,,, my newest pack from REI, Osprey Hornet 46 @ 1 lb 9 oz,,,, Exped Synmat UL7 sleeping pad (20"x72"x2.8") @ 16.2 oz,,,,, Montrail Mountain Masoquist trail runners @ 21 oz for the pair. I could go on and on and on.

Overall,, great sales throughout the year,,, great selection,,, unmatched return policy,,, yearly member dividend. They don't have eveything I need,, but they have a lot.

Odd Man Out
05-24-2012, 00:21
I like Campmor too. They've ramped up customer service lately and improved shipping delivery times based on my reent purchases. Yeehaw!

I just went through my Campmor catalog today. They had a bunch of external frame packs and a 5 lb internal frame pack. They had one good sized Osprey pack listed as a daypack. Their GSI cook set with 2 large pots, two plates, two bowls, two spoons was listed for one person. The Neoair was listed as self inflating (I wish). Makes me wonder.

flatfeet
05-24-2012, 00:41
Well I don't think all the gear should be UL. But I don't see why they can't make some really cool and UL gear in a small part of the store. Yeah thru-hikers and UL hikers don't make a big market. But I still think they are missing an excellent opportunity to introduce some really cool gear. I'd love to see some cuben fiber, UL tarps, sub 1 pound bags. It's true that there is some good UL gear there. I just wish there was more of it.

jakedatc
05-24-2012, 01:25
Well I don't think all the gear should be UL. But I don't see why they can't make some really cool and UL gear in a small part of the store. Yeah thru-hikers and UL hikers don't make a big market. But I still think they are missing an excellent opportunity to introduce some really cool gear. I'd love to see some cuben fiber, UL tarps, sub 1 pound bags. It's true that there is some good UL gear there. I just wish there was more of it.

I don't think you know how retail stores work...... see they have to BUY everything in advance and then sell it for a profit. They also need to be SOLD that gear and many of those companies can't or won't do it.

Cuben fiber is hardly sold by small places that have it. Also it is pretty fragile so the REI return policy on an extremely expensive piece of gear is suicidal.

Also, the small companies that produce the UL sub 1lb bags/quilts, cuben tarps, custom packs don't produce the numbers needed to cover REI stores all over the country.

Anyway, The gear is out there just not all at REI. get over it and you will feel better.

T.S.Kobzol
05-24-2012, 06:55
But REI does employ my next wife. she works in the backpacking side, and has completed a thru hike...

Does she know you or are you planning ahead? ;-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

hikerboy57
05-24-2012, 07:51
im amazed that anyone can think that all camping gear should be ultralight. REI carrries kayaks, too, pretty useless on a thru hike. there are those that will use their 6 lb external frame pack to hike in 50 lbs of equipment all of 2 or 3 miles into the woods and camp out for a week.some of the best UL gear cant be found in many stores, and thats what wb helps out with.
maybe rei is in it for the money?

10-K
05-24-2012, 08:41
REI is not a hiker store.... what do you expect? I buy very little there these days but when I started backpacking they were a tremendous resource.

I would say that it would be easy to completely equip for a thru there and still start out with a pack lighter than most if you knew what you were doing.

UL hiking is not foremost how much the stuff you carry weighs as it is knowing what to take and what not to take. Then you worry about weight.

I love the map section at REI...

Spokes
05-24-2012, 10:26
I agree with 10-K. I shop REI now mostly for paddling gear and some quick pick up items in a pinch. Their member sales/discounts are pretty good.

Rocket Jones
05-24-2012, 10:42
REI carrries kayaks, too, pretty useless on a thru hike.

Wait... what? I don't need... Hot diggity, I just went UL!!!

Spokes
05-24-2012, 10:56
.... REI carrries kayaks, too, pretty useless on a thru hike. ...

Careful! Zelph might figure a way to stick a wick in one, call it a fancy name, and market it as a new alchy stove.

Sad thing is somebody will buy it, make YouTube review video about it and then everybody will want one. In a couple years the trail will be littered with 12 ft. Recreational yaks!

Damn it!!

Old Hiker
05-24-2012, 11:41
.......................... REI carrries kayaks, too, pretty useless on a thru hike. ...........................

I dunno. After the thunderstorms on the night of 17 May, a kayak might have come in handy on the water-running "Trail". Seemed more like a white-water stream to me!!!

No REI near me and I can't convince the wife to allow me to take a trip up to the nearest one up in Atlanta, even waving the two Tanger outlet malls on the way up. Shopping online for now!

hikerboy57
05-24-2012, 11:42
ive been on sections of maine that were more stream than trail!

Odd Man Out
05-24-2012, 14:22
ive been on sections of maine that were more stream than trail!

They do make packrafts. Should we start including this in our thru-hiking gear lists. One of the "Big Five"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packraft

Feral Bill
05-24-2012, 14:44
I just went through my Campmor catalog today. They had a bunch of external frame packs and a 5 lb internal frame pack. They had one good sized Osprey pack listed as a daypack. Their GSI cook set with 2 large pots, two plates, two bowls, two spoons was listed for one person. The Neoair was listed as self inflating (I wish). Makes me wonder. Campmor has a lot of gear on it's web site that is not in the paper catalogs. Probably more than is in them. Take a look.

Double Wide
05-24-2012, 15:55
Why get all your gear at one place? I use REI, Campmor, Bass Pro, Amazon, basically wherever I can find the best deal for the equipment that suits me the best. Granted, I'm no ultralight geek, but to say that they don't carry UL equipment is a pretty broad generalization. Besides, the hardcore UL-ers are a pretty small and specific niche, and certainly somebody out there is willing to get into that business. But to badmouth REI because they choose not to focus on that on that market is just poor form. REI is a business, bottom line--they're in it to make money, period, just like every place else on the planet that you choose to spend your hard-earned dollar. Part of their reputation is their generous return policy, and the super UL stuff just plain wears out quicker, so it would make sense that they don't want to lose the goodwill of the return policy in exchange for a piece of such small niche market. Until UL goes completely mainstream, one will have to continue shopping for that gear at the UL specialty shops.

Otherwise, the original rant is like complaining that you can't find a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven at Etowah...

WIAPilot
05-24-2012, 16:03
Excellent point, Double Wide.

hikerboy57
05-24-2012, 16:07
Mahoosuc trail:http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/4/8/1/camerashotsmine2_014_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=48905&c=563)

bfayer
05-24-2012, 18:19
I just stopped at REI and picked up a Sawyer Squeeze water filter. I saw they had the Exped Synmat 7 UL L/W on sale, and I took a quick look at a titanium alcohol stove on the way out.

Looks like they have pretty up to date stuff to me.

If I had my way they would sell Tarptent, Lightheart and ULA gear also. but that's just so I can play with the stuff before I buy it:)

REI is what REI is. If you don't like it, become a member, run for the board of directors (I promise I'll vote for you), and change it. Otherwise, don't shop there. That will leave more stuff in their attic sale for me :)

WalksInDark
05-24-2012, 19:06
Asking any store....retail, wholesale, cottage industry to meet all of your needs...is an exercise in futility.

I buy what I buy from REI largely because: they have it in stock; the price is reasonable; and nobody beats their return policy.

Sure, I buy some stuff from dedicated outfitters and backpacker shops; also a few items from small cottage industries. I appreciate the smaller shops great customer service, expert knowledge, and want to continue to support innovation in design.

But when it comes to immediate availability ---lots of times---, price, and a fairly wide selection...off to REI I go!

My Experience:

I started backpacking in Roanoke, VA. NO nearby REI.

Choices for camping supplies: Dicks, Walmart, Gander Mountain, Sportsman's Warehouse, several local outfitters. My most frequently shopped "Go-To" place ended up being Sportsman's Warehouse.

FAST FORWARD:

Due to a corporate restructuring, Sportsman's Warehouse decided to close the Roanoke store.

Once the (significantly cheaper) Sportsman's Warehouse store was closed and shuttered..

the prices for lots of the camping and backpacking stuff went up between 20-34%.

Now, I am back in the D.C. area...and spending much of my backpacking/camping funds at REI.

Viva la difference!

Feral Bill
05-24-2012, 22:56
[QUOTE=Double Wide;1291924 REI is a business, bottom line--they're in it to make money, period, just like every place else on the planet that you choose to spend your hard-earned dollar. ...[/QUOTE] Simply not true, please see my post #29. REI is in it only for the benefit of it's members.

stranger
05-25-2012, 02:14

-I realize UL isn't for everyone. But in this day and age there in absolutely no reason why anyone would need, and i stress need a 30+ pound backpack.-

REI is for the masses, the average user...who will spend 3 nights in the field each year and will never hike more than about 40-50 miles continuously.

Long distance is a TINY market, so tiny many well known companies don't even bother attempt to break into because there is no return.

Also...most of your beloved ultralight gear prices would be 42% higher in a REI due to standard mark up, so thats another reason you won't see a shop full of Six Moon Designs, ULA, Tarptent, Lightheart, etc...

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 02:31
They do make packrafts. Should we start including this in our thru-hiking gear lists. One of the "Big Five"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packraft Colin Fletcher had a blow-up life vest for river crossings.what the!

And I agree with Eziria Johnson,if REI had a pack for sell that was made out of Cubin(that may last one season or one thru-hike)then there return policy would have to be modified...and I don't think you'll ever see that happen any time soon.2c's