PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal/Harpers Ferry...bear bag?

CentralVaAt
05-23-2012, 08:50
I'm hiking from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry this weekend and was wondering if it was necessary to bear bag. I know some people have specific opinions on this matter. We plan on staying north of Dicks Dome shelter Friday night, Sam Moore Shelter Saturday night, and David Lesser Shelter Sunday night. Also, any word of trail conditions at this time would be appreciated!

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 09:12
Do you know bear sign,scat,tree rub(scratch),paw at ground under logs for ants bees and honey.If no signs in the area then you might be ok.Some bag,some don't and me,well I like to use a political term my friend taught me.

Mugwamp:which states that your on the fence with your mug on one side and your whomp on the other.

moldy
05-23-2012, 09:25
The shelters in this section have bear poles. This is an indication that you should hang your food. You can have bears and not notice bear sign. Better to be safe than sorry.

CentralVaAt
05-23-2012, 09:36
The shelters in this section have bear poles. This is an indication that you should hang your food. You can have bears and not notice bear sign. Better to be safe than sorry.

Didn't know the shelters had bear poles, thanks!

scree
05-23-2012, 12:07
Didn't know the shelters had bear poles, thanks!

Dick's Dome has bear poles and lots and lots of running water. Keep in mind, however, that it's located in a large "Wildlife Management Area" (Hunting ground) and I rarely see much in the way of large mammals. You're going to be keeping food safe from raccoons rather than bears, in addition to pondering the wisdom of the shelter design.

I've been hiking that section for years and haven't seen any sign of bears, nor have the rangers (most of whom recognize me) have said they hadn't seen or heard reports of bears near the trails in the area between Linden and Ashby Gap in years.

Firefighter503
05-25-2012, 05:57
I've seen scat in Sky Meadows area, and multiple dens. I'd bear bag.

scree
05-25-2012, 11:28
I've seen scat in Sky Meadows area, and multiple dens. I'd bear bag.

Good to know, and I'll take your word for it. One thing I can say, if there are bears around Sky Meadows they are definitely not habituated to people.