PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions

walkin' wally
04-09-2005, 20:59
I don't know if this articles section is the right place for this but I am wondering if there could be a White Blaze (straight forward) information area for Trail maintenance, trail relocations, trail conditions and trail maintainers that that hikers could access? (Rather than putting it in trail news and updates)

For example, a hiker wrote to the forum last year asking about the condition of the Firewarden's Trail on Bigelow. Some folks said they thought the trail was badly eroded and in somewhat poor condition when actually there have been rock steps and other improvements going on for 3 or 4 years and the maintenance will continue for at least another 2 years from now. A lot of trail hardening has been done there.

At the MATC annual meeting today in Farmington Maine today a lot of information was given out on projects in areas from Grafton Notch to Rainbow Lake. This includes a relocation already of the new Grafton Loop trail and the return of respsponsibility to MATC of the non AT trail to the head of Gulf Hagas. A lot of trail hardening is being done on the north side of Whitecap Mountain etc.

Maybe the information could be separated state by state if there is enough regional response or questions from members, maintainers etc.

Just some ideas on the articles section. :-?

Brushy Sage
04-09-2005, 23:12
A lot of this information is available on the ATC website. I searched their site for "trail conditions" and got a database for each state the AT goes through. It isn't as complete or up to date as what you are suggesting; it's pretty good, though.

Rain Man
04-10-2005, 09:34
Perhaps, but only if reports are about the Appalachian Trail itself, and not extraneous trails. Perhaps a bona fide access trail that connects directly to the AT.

But I think ANY info, pictures, whatever about extraneous, non-AT trails, hikes, locations, whatever, is a drag on this WhiteBlaze web site.

Rain:sunMan