PDA

View Full Version : Solo Hikers??

WIAPilot
05-23-2012, 13:07
Do the majority of NOBO thru hikers travel in small groups; with a partner; solo? What percentage would you estimate it to be? In your opinion, are solo hikers more (or less) inclined to finish? Would really like to read the benefits of each...

ChinMusic
05-23-2012, 13:14
IMO being able to happily function as a solo is a tremendous advantage.

wteason2
05-23-2012, 13:19
I don't have personal experience, but it seems that you wind up in a rather tight knit group no matter how you start.

I've read that people starting in groups can experience some serious strain on their relationships if they have different expectations during the hike. But I know it can become just as stressful if you wind up spending long periods of time alone when you don't want to.

On my last hike, I didn't see another soul for nearly 48 hours during the hardest section of the trip and absolutely wish I had some company in camp. It makes you stronger in the long run, but it isn't fun at the time.

Spokes
05-23-2012, 13:25
If you choose, it's not hard to establish a "trail family" on the AT. Works great especially when splitting motel room costs or even watching each others stuff when doing grocery store shopping. I ended up having 3 different "families" on my thru hike.

I would basically hike alone during the day and meet up with fellow hikers in the group at a lunch break, tent, or shelter spot. Pretty low key stuff.

kayak karl
05-23-2012, 13:29
if you hiking your own hike it changes week to week. if your group goes to town and you don't want to you may end up in a different group or alone. if you stick with some groups you may go broke. some don't care "what costs so much" :)
i never hike with any one person! i think it's a great way to ruin a friendship.

Spokes
05-23-2012, 13:34
Ahhh yes, HYOH...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

bigcranky
05-23-2012, 13:42
Being able to hike solo is a definite advantage, unless you are part of a long-term partnership (married, long time hiking partner.) If you go with a group or start with someone you meet online, it's still best to be able top function as a solo hiker.

You'll meet plenty of friendly hikers heading north, and most people fall into a group early on (like the first day or two), but the composition of that group changes constantly. You'd have to work at it to avoid seeing the same folks day to day.

Rickard
05-23-2012, 14:05
I'm going out solo/NOBO for 153 miles. It would be great to join a group if a 20 mile per day average can still be maintained. I don't care what time camp is set up, just as long as I get my miles!

wookinpanub
05-23-2012, 14:08
This is a pretty interesting question. As a solo southbounder, I got to meet most of the northbounders and listen to many hiking partner stories. My observation was that the groups which started together rarely finished together. The exception would be family units. Husbands/wives, father/sons, etc. were always together. There were only 2 friend groups that I met who were still together when I met them in NY and WV. I say, unless a family member wants to accompany you, plan for solo and enjoy hiking company as it's convenient.

Veetack
05-23-2012, 15:56
I'm going out solo/NOBO for 153 miles. It would be great to join a group if a 20 mile per day average can still be maintained. I don't care what time camp is set up, just as long as I get my miles!
When are you leaving? I head out from Springer on the 28th to head to Fontana. I prefer actually hiking alone, but I imagine if you're leaving at the same time, we'll cross paths at shelters, as I'm shooting for 20+ a day.

Andrewsobo
05-23-2012, 16:51
I'm planning solo sobo, and I expect to be pretty lonely at times. I'm trying to get friends to join me on section hikes and as of now I'll have someone doing the 100 mile wilderness with me, then parts of new england, and then a few in the south to join me so I'll have three different groups of section hikers to keep me company.

Shae
05-23-2012, 19:11
I'm planning solo sobo, and I expect to be pretty lonely at times. I'm trying to get friends to join me on section hikes and as of now I'll have someone doing the 100 mile wilderness with me, then parts of new england, and then a few in the south to join me so I'll have three different groups of section hikers to keep me company.

When are you starting?

10-K
05-23-2012, 19:28
Hiking solo is a lot easier in almost every way you can think of. Easier to hitch into town, stop when you want, start when you want, eat when you want, take a break when you want, tent where you want, resupply when you want, resupply where you want, stay where you want in town, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Miner
05-23-2012, 19:29
I'm planning my upcoming AT SOBO hike solo as I found that I prefer to hike around people but not actually with them. I might choose to hike with them for a few days, but I doubt it will last longer due to different daily milage and town stops/zeros.

I've seen tight groups form and the goal of the hike changes to being with the group. And then if someone gets injured or decides to leave the trail, the person remaining goes through feelings of depression and sometimes will find themselves getting off instead of finishing unless they can push through it. When you hike with others long term, you have to hike someone elses hike as you are constantly forced to compromise what you would want to do otherwise. I've seen hikers get caught up spending too much time and money in town and falling behind their schedule. Some run out of money as a result. Others start to run out of time and have to break free and do a death march or a flip flop hike inorder to finish. That said, some people seem to make it work.

My experience on my PCT thru-hike is that if you want to HYOH and keep to your own schedule and mileage goals, you have to hike solo. This doesn't mean that you won't hike arround the same hikers for awhile, seeing them at breaks and sometimes camping with them, but different mileage goals and the desire to zero in town more or less often will seperate you within days or a few weeks unless you fall in with a group that has similar goals as you. Even if you hike solo at a different pace then most people, it isn't like you'll be alone as you'll be constantly meeting people everyday. This is the most flexible method of hiking as you are free from contraints by anyone but yourself. And I was suprised how I finished around some of the same people I saw early on despite not seeing them for ~1000 miles.

P1nkPanther
05-23-2012, 19:59
I'm interested in hearing if any husband/wife teams end up hiking more solo day-to-day. Meeting up more like a trail family?

Before a month on the AT this year, I'd done all of my overnights with either my husband, female best friend, or as a foursome with her husband. I compromised a lot on how far we hiked. I'm not fast, but I have stamina and don't like camp downtime.

The best friend started with me on the AT, but had to leave due to family emergency. I was more than happy to stay on the trail solo.

As a woman alone, I was more aloof at shelters. I did not find people I clicked with or did the same miles as I did. But I liked being solo. I found several guys who did more miles than me then would zero to rest their feet and I enjoyed catching up with them on the trail.

I did end up meeting a group of hikers in the Smokies I really liked. I felt part of a family, but I wonder if the fact there were finally other women around made me more comfortable. And I couldn't tent, so I was forced to be more social.

I hadn't planned to thru, but I had to get off the trail early because of a family emergency. (Yes, two separate accidents involving close relatives ended this entire trip.)

I'm now jonesing to get back on the trail, hopefully sometime this year. And hopefully with my husband? Except now I'm worried I liked hiking solo a bit too much.

Miner
05-23-2012, 20:24
Most couples that I saw staying together preferred to hike seperately during the day, meeting up at breaks and then camping at a previously agreed spot. This seemed to avoid more fights as even little things get exaggerated after spending 24/7 together all the time so having some time apart seems to help. That said, I did see one hudsband/wife team hiking together most of the day, but they seemed to have pretty similar paces to begin with. I can't tell you have much conflict can happen just because one wants to hike much faster then the other during the day. So its best to decide how to handle it ahead of time.

ChinMusic
05-23-2012, 20:27
My experience on group hiking, for even short section hikes on the AT, is that it is akin to herding cats.

Mags
05-24-2012, 00:00
Most solo hikers (myself included) form very loose trail families they hike on and off with during their thru hikes.

On the AT, a solo hiker is seldom alone. Enough people keep a similar pace and schedule that you hike on and off with them over the course of the trail. I finished with a few at Katahdin at the end.

On the PCT, you tend to meet a few people here and there and keep pace with them for a while but eventually split off.

On the CDT? You may run into others, but you are truly alone for the majority of the hike if you choose to hike solo.

Other trails? Solo is solo. :)

Not to say you can't form deep friendships from these loose partnerships. One of my closest friends is someone I met on the PCT (I was best man at his wedding. I also helped landscape his yard here in Boulder! ) and I still see people I met on the CDT. In fact, I went to one couple's wedding and housewarming here in Colorado. They are also coming to my wedding. :)

baxter
05-24-2012, 01:07
Do the majority of NOBO thru hikers travel in small groups; with a partner; solo? What percentage would you estimate it to be? In your opinion, are solo hikers more (or less) inclined to finish? Would really like to read the benefits of each...I never make plans to hike over a few days with someone, sometimes it just works out that way. I learned at the tender age of 18 that my plans can't depend on someone else. I had planned a 1200 mile bicycle trip with another fellow and the night before we were to leave, he bailed on me. I packed up in the morning and left by myself and have never looked back. It was a valuable lesson learned at a young age. On my AT thru hike, I hiked with various people at different times. Out of five other people who I met and hiked with on day one, three finished. One 3 days after me, one 1 month after me, one 2 months after me. These guys wanted me to hike together with them, I said we'll see. I refused to let someone else dictate what my hike schedule was. I guess this comes from the fact that I was 50 years old and used to doing things my way. I hiked at various times solo, or with someone, sometimes for a few days or a few weeks. I hiked my own hike. When I got to NJ, I ended up hiking with a guy all the way to the summit of Mt K. I credit my buddy, Rethinker with getting me through some tough times in the Whites and Maine. It really was nice to have him there suffering beside me when the times got bad, or laughing with me when things got stupid and ridunkulous! The best part was when I got to Mt K, I got to summit with 3 other folks that I had hiked with at various times on the trail. That was magic, for sure!

Andrewsobo
05-24-2012, 11:20
When are you starting?

Shooting for august 1st.

Moose2001
05-24-2012, 12:16
Most solo hikers (myself included) form very loose trail families they hike on and off with during their thru hikes.

On the AT, a solo hiker is seldom alone. Enough people keep a similar pace and schedule that you hike on and off with them over the course of the trail. I finished with a few at Katahdin at the end.

I refused to let someone else dictate what my hike schedule was. I guess this comes from the fact that I was 50 years old and used to doing things my way. I hiked at various times solo, or with someone, sometimes for a few days or a few weeks. I hiked my own hike.

Pilot, IMHO, these are the two best answers for your question. It's your hike. You do what works best for you. When you start hiking with a group, you start dealing with group dynamics and group think. I've often seen hikers do things, hike a different pace then they wanted, get involved in things they didn't want to do and spend WAAAAAAAY more money than they had planned just to stay with a group. If that works for them, fine. Just do what you feel is best for you and you'll have a great time no matter who you hike with.

WIAPilot
05-24-2012, 14:23
Thanks Moose! Sounds like a plan.

rocketsocks
05-24-2012, 22:51
I am reminded of a couple songs that seem to fit with my model

At times I find it lonley but always am content
can't think of a better way of how my time is spent
it's raining now and the sun don't shine my thoughts are all for you
and how one day I'll stray this way on the trail that leeds to you~

It's your thing....do what cha wanna do
I can't tell ya.....who to sock-it to
cause it's your thing...be what cha wanna be~

I deffinatly prescribe to HYOH I always have,and always will...I just didn't know that's what it was called.:)

Tinker
05-24-2012, 22:55
IMO being able to happily function as a solo is a tremendous advantage.

Seconded. If you really like lots of people around they have these things called cities and towns :rolleyes:.

When I head out (granted, I'm not a thruhiker). I like my company (if any) in twos and threes. (I don't think I need an apostrophe for twos and threes, but it looks strange :-?).

ChinMusic
05-24-2012, 22:59
I like my company (if any) in twos and threes.

Why does that remind me of Office Space?

rocketsocks
05-24-2012, 23:08
There's a fella that posts here,but can't remember who it is that says this,but I like it and will abopt it as my own.and that is:Lets hike together,but keep it loose.So to me in my way of thinking that means will hike,but if something comes up,and I should not run into you again,then I'll catch ya on the next one.O'coarse if I've made plans to go somewhere with a group of people,that is a intirely different thing,and well,yes.....were together.Geez I'm glad that's over,now I just gotta remember what it was I just said. LOL

rocketsocks
05-24-2012, 23:11
Why does that remind me of Office Space?So like Manège you sleep over there,and I'll be over here.

fiddlehead
05-24-2012, 23:15
I think there's probably 1 in 30 people that hike the same pace as me.
Maybe a third of them would like to take the same breaks as me.
OK, i can compromise. But not for too long, OK?

I've got an upcoming (hopefully) climb of Kinabalu where they now made it a law you have to take a guide.
OK, I am sure the guide can go whatever pace I choose. But, I worry that there will be others in the group.
Hopefully it won't cost me too much to take my own.

Not into waiting for grandma, or rushing to keep up with the German speedsters.
Not into taking rest breaks on an uphill. (more than every hour anyway)
Not into getting up at 2 AM to see the sunrise on the summit.

All of those scenarios would seriously take away from my fun.
Having somebody to go for the water while I set up the tent is not worth it.

ChinMusic
05-24-2012, 23:20

In China if you are a 1 in a million kind of hiker, there are a thousand others just like you...........

rocketsocks
05-24-2012, 23:26
OK, i can compromise. But not for too long, OK?

I've got an upcoming (hopefully) climb of Kinabalu where they now made it a law you have to take a guide.
OK, I am sure the guide can go whatever pace I choose. But, I worry that there will be others in the group.
Hopefully it won't cost me too much to take my own.

Not into waiting for grandma, or rushing to keep up with the German speedsters.
Not into taking rest breaks on an uphill. (more than every hour anyway)
Not into getting up at 2 AM to see the sunrise on the summit.

All of those scenarios would seriously take away from my fun.
Having somebody to go for the water while I set up the tent is not worth it.Oh yeah,Ilove running up a Mountain at 2AM to see the Sun rise....and then running down the Mountain so's I can see it rise again.Not me brother:rolleyes:

Tinker
05-30-2012, 00:00
In China if you are a 1 in a million kind of hiker, there are a thousand others just like you...........

Great observation. :)

Grampie
05-30-2012, 10:18
Hiking solo let's you do what you want when you want to do it. Hiked alone for about 1,200 miles of my thru. That doesn't mean that I didn't meet a lot of trail friends that I still have today 11 years after my hike.

Old Hiker
05-30-2012, 14:51
I started my 497 miles solo for a few reasons:

a. I'm pretty much shy (anti-social) until I've been around someone for quite a while.

b. I didn't have anyone around here that can do a 6 month vacation. I'd been planning/saving for years.

After getting on the Trail, I still hiked solo:

a. Everyone (I mean EVERYONE, including one young lady with a soft cast around a sprained ankle) was hiking faster than I was. Hard to hike with a group that puts in 5-10 miles more than you do per day. The first few weeks were a death march just making 8-10 miles per day!

b. No real reference points with the young pups (nothing personal). I liked being around them, but felt I had nothing of value to input. They were doing great, lots of experience, enthusiasm, etc. That being said, for the most part, the young pups (Thanks, Father-man ((he's important!!)), Blueberry, Bubble-foot, Big-E, et.al.) for making me feel at home the few days I was hiking around your group.

c. I could pick and choose when/where to stop for the night. Some of the sites were pretty small and I hate being around myself, let alone other people at night. :eek: Plus, I'm not what you call a morning person.

2016 may be different. Dunno. I have a few Scouts who will be in their 20's around then and are making noises about tagging along. We'll see.

rocketsocks
05-30-2012, 18:41
I started my 497 miles solo for a few reasons:

a. I'm pretty much shy (anti-social) until I've been around someone for quite a while.

b. I didn't have anyone around here that can do a 6 month vacation. I'd been planning/saving for years.

After getting on the Trail, I still hiked solo:

a. Everyone (I mean EVERYONE, including one young lady with a soft cast around a sprained ankle) was hiking faster than I was. Hard to hike with a group that puts in 5-10 miles more than you do per day. The first few weeks were a death march just making 8-10 miles per day!

b. No real reference points with the young pups (nothing personal). I liked being around them, but felt I had nothing of value to input. They were doing great, lots of experience, enthusiasm, etc. That being said, for the most part, the young pups (Thanks, Father-man ((he's important!!)), Blueberry, Bubble-foot, Big-E, et.al.) for making me feel at home the few days I was hiking around your group.

c. I could pick and choose when/where to stop for the night. Some of the sites were pretty small and I hate being around myself, let alone other people at night. :eek: Plus, I'm not what you call a morning person.

2016 may be different. Dunno. I have a few Scouts who will be in their 20's around then and are making noises about tagging along. We'll see.Old Hiker,I caught your journal,and think you did a great job.Your coments here I've found refreshing and one of the most honest and thoughtful responces,and I'm sure your trip next time around will be just great,I do wish you well.john/RS