PDA

View Full Version : Piercings On The AT

Josh Calhoun
05-23-2012, 14:21
any of yall out there had any problems with piercings while on the trail? anything ever got infected? im not talking about just ears im talking about lips,nose, eye brows ect ect. I have my lips pierced twice. hygiene is obviously going to be important. anybody ever had any trouble?

Gray Blazer
05-23-2012, 14:25
I'm a freak cuz I don't have any tatoos or piercings.

Can't help you there.

WIAPilot
05-23-2012, 14:29
You might want to be careful in the shelters. I've heard the mice use them as a springboard...:)

Ender
05-23-2012, 14:31
If they're older piercings, you probably won't have much issue. But having some rubbing alcohol on hand in case they happen to get infected wouldn't be a bad idea.

New piercings though... I'd take special care to keep them clean.

Spokes
05-23-2012, 14:49
Can't speak for piercings but in 2009 it was so wet on the trail I ended up in the hospitithica Gorgam, NH with a leg cut that required antibiotics to treat the infection. It was just a tiny thing at first then all hell broke loose. I just couldn't manage to stay ahead of it despite treating with antiseptic and neosporin 2-3 times a day.

Good luck.

GolfHiker
05-23-2012, 18:46
Honestly, who new this could be a problem? Okay, hike your own hike...

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 19:03
Can't speak for piercings but in 2009 it was so wet on the trail I ended up in the hospital Gorham, NH with a leg cut that required antibiotics to treat the infection. It was just a tiny thing at first then all hell broke loose. I just couldn't manage to stay ahead of it despite treating with antiseptic and newsprint 2-3 times a day.

Good luck.Spokes over the years,I've had little nicks and cuts all over my hands.While doing some work at a hospital,I had one that just would go away lucky for me we were re-doing the ER so one of the nurses hooked me up with some antibiotics,on the up & up of coarse,but the tetanus she through in for free.Good thing that wasn't that MRSA my daughter had a bad infection once that put her in the hospital for a short time,not MRSA but still bad.Now I don't take any chances anymore I liberally rinse with hydrogen peroxide....all the time.

Spokes
05-23-2012, 20:41
Yep MRSA is nasty stuff for sure. I have a couple micro size Nalgene bottles and keep some peroxide in one and betadine in the other. If I go out for more than a weekend hike both are in my first aid kit.