PDA

View Full Version : Guidance please...

Brandon French
05-23-2012, 14:36
I am obviously planning a thru-hike next spring and wanted to pick somebodies brain for advice on gear. I have a 3200 internal frame, wanted to know if that would be big enough, and have a 40 degree bag didn't know if I should possibly get a zero. And how do you think I could manage with a hammock as opposed to a tent? Any advice/tricks/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brandon

Spokes
05-23-2012, 14:41
Here's my standard gear list post from Winton Porter from Mountain Crossings (ignore the popup if you get it).

It's tried and true and gives you a cold wather base weight pack between 16-18 lbs. Tweak for summer to go lighter. Gloves and fleece beanie are givens. I'd add a trash compactor bag for a liner. Include a 100 weight fleece of you're cold natured.

Tent or hammock? Your choice but I see no value in weight savings when you add underquilts, top quilts, and all the other crap to keep warm in a hammock. Summer time? I love my Hennessey........

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Cheers!

mattsvensson
05-24-2012, 17:52
Just my technique which worked in 38-42 degree weather with an MSR Hubba tent.

I had a 45 degree comfort, 38 degree low rated bag (Snugpak jungle bag) and their Paratex Dry outer bivvi bag. Together, with some warmer clothes on, I was perfectly comfortable from 19APR-19MAY on the trail and was able to remove the bivvi/clothes when it was warmer. A few guys on the trail ended up switching out there cold weather bags mid-hike because they got too warm as summer approached.

I agree with Spokes re the hammock.

88BlueGT
10-09-2012, 16:27
Pack size will depend much more on sleeping size. For a thru-hike I would think 3,200ci would be a bit small. I know I couldn't pack that. I'm perfect right with a ULA Circuit which I believe is 4,200. I'm not UL but I'm pretty small/light.

magic_game03
10-10-2012, 15:20
Brandon, what is your start date. Mid-Feb is whole different set-up than mid-April

Slo-go'en
10-10-2012, 17:25
Seeing that the OP only made one post, four months ago, good chance he went away...

Drybones
10-10-2012, 17:59
A 60L (I believe that's about 3600 ci) is right for me. My base weight is about 17 lbs, only time the pack gets really filled is when I'm carring 6 days or so supplies. The pack has side and back stretch pockets but no lid or other pockets. A must for me is a back pocket to store tent and rain gear so it's easy to get it in and out.

LDog
10-10-2012, 20:03
Pack size will depend much more on sleeping size. For a thru-hike I would think 3,200ci would be a bit small. I know I couldn't pack that. I'm perfect right with a ULA Circuit which I believe is 4,200. I'm not UL but I'm pretty small/light.

I too have been perfect with my Circuit. With shoulder weight gear, and 5 days of food, it's pretty full. With summer weight gear, it can be slightly underpacked. Put over 30 lbs in it and it starts to feel overloaded. There are standards by which pack volume is measured, and ULA has been criticized for overstating theirs.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ula_circuit_ula_catalyst_ula_camino.html

Basically, they measure both the internal volume of the pack, and all the external pockets to arrive at a total volume, when others use only their internal volume. I say this just so you understand that comparing ULA packs to others by volume is problematic. By some standards, and possibly for comparison purposes, the ULA is a 2900ci/48L pack.

This is from the ULA site:

Volume Breakdown
Main Body: 2,400
Front Mesh Pocket: 400
Side Mesh Pocket: 350 ea
Ext. Collar: 500
Hipbelt Pockets: 100

Total Volume: 4,200 cu in

88BlueGT
10-11-2012, 09:52
I too have been perfect with my Circuit. With shoulder weight gear, and 5 days of food, it's pretty full. With summer weight gear, it can be slightly underpacked. Put over 30 lbs in it and it starts to feel overloaded. There are standards by which pack volume is measured, and ULA has been criticized for overstating theirs.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ula_circuit_ula_catalyst_ula_camino.html

Basically, they measure both the internal volume of the pack, and all the external pockets to arrive at a total volume, when others use only their internal volume. I say this just so you understand that comparing ULA packs to others by volume is problematic. By some standards, and possibly for comparison purposes, the ULA is a 2900ci/48L pack.

This is from the ULA site:

Volume Breakdown
Main Body: 2,400
Front Mesh Pocket: 400
Side Mesh Pocket: 350 ea
Ext. Collar: 500
Hipbelt Pockets: 100

Total Volume: 4,200 cu in

This is true. Everyone packs differently but for me you can immediately wipe out the side pockets since I use them for water bottles, theres 700ci gone.

When they say ext. collar are they referring to the top of the bag that gets rolled down? Cant think of anything else it they would be referring to...

LDog
10-11-2012, 11:02
This is true. Everyone packs differently but for me you can immediately wipe out the side pockets since I use them for water bottles, theres 700ci gone.

I use those side pockets for water if I need more than the liter or so I carry on the shoulder straps. But that big back pocket can swallow a whole lotta stuff!

When they say ext. collar are they referring to the top of the bag that gets rolled down? Cant think of anything else it they would be referring to...

That's it.

88BlueGT
10-11-2012, 11:07
I use those side pockets for water if I need more than the liter or so I carry on the shoulder straps. But that big back pocket can swallow a whole lotta stuff!

That's it.

Yea, they are pretty big and deep as well. I always carry two gatorade bottles in them though (one in each). I also carry a 2.5L bladder. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty crazy w my water! LOL On a positive note, I never have to stop for water resupply :)

RJ Lewis
11-02-2012, 01:19
The ULA Circuit is actually quite a roomy pack. I myself have one and it's now too big for even a weeks' worth of gear, because as I have downsized in gear and weight, my need for a larger pack also goes down. I use a 40 ltr pack now and can get up to 10 days' food plus my base load (under 10 lb), and it's quite comfy. I can't wait to get out on the trail!! I have also moved to a cuben fiber tent made by Judy of Lightheart Gear, and let me tell you, she makes top quality gear, with her prices on cuben fiber being pretty spot on. Order early, as they go fast. Worth every penny to me, to get those last couple of pounds off my back. :)