PDA

View Full Version : Merrell Boot soles

TickPicker
04-09-2005, 21:09
Some of the reviews I've read on Merrell boots are that the soles wear out too quickly. Does anyone know if they've addressed this issue in thier latest endeavors???:bse

weary
04-09-2005, 21:41
Some of the reviews I've read on Merrell boots are that the soles wear out too quickly. Does anyone know if they've addressed this issue in thier latest endeavors???:bse
The one Merrill boot that I've owned -- dating to 1993 -- didn't wear out. It was slippery on the trail that year, a major handicap.

Weary

neo
04-10-2005, 00:28
i bought a pair merril gortex boots,took them back,worst pair gortex boots i have ever had,you couldnt give me a pair:cool: neo

TickPicker
04-10-2005, 13:36
i bought a pair merril gortex boots,took them back,worst pair gortex boots i have ever had,you couldnt give me a pair:cool: neoHey Neo..........can you be more specific........what went wrong with the boot. Thanks

Steve

Jack Tarlin
04-10-2005, 13:42
The only times I got from Georgia to Maine without replacing my boots, I was wearing Merrell's. This happened on three occasions.

I've got a pair of Technicas on right now (which I'm very happy with), but if the store I was working in carried Merrell, I'd probably be wearing a pair now.

In my experience, good shoe, good company.

LEGS
04-10-2005, 20:24
Had Mine Since 1999, Have Hiked Over 2000 Miles In Them, Even Worn Them For Work Many Times. They Are Still Doin Fine, Will Wear Them Again This Year. Damn Fine Boots I'd Say. I Think They Are Travlers Or Something Like That Is Thier Boot That Is Next To The Mountaineering Boot. Bought Mine From Serria Outfitters For 99.00, Good Investment, I May Get Another Pair In A Year Or Two.

Saluki Dave
04-11-2005, 13:45
I owned a pair of Merrell Grand Traverse and put about 400 or so miles on them section hiking before the toe cup on the left boot came unbonded and began to peel back, gradually taking the sole with it. The nice lady at the REI gave me a full refund, which I used to buy a pair of Montrail Torre GTXs for $.01. Conclude what you will.

The Solemates
04-11-2005, 14:32
I owned a pair of Merrell Grand Traverse and put about 400 or so miles on them section hiking before the toe cup on the left boot came unbonded and began to peel back, gradually taking the sole with it. The nice lady at the REI gave me a full refund, which I used to buy a pair of Montrail Torre GTXs for $.01. Conclude what you will.

I bought a pair of Grand Traverse's in 98 when they first came out. I have put over 2500 miles on those boots, mostly in winter snow conditions, and they are still going strong. I wouldnt ever buy a boot that heavy again, but they sure have lasted...

Saluki Dave
04-11-2005, 15:25
Yeah, I loved the boot, and was sorry to see it come apart. I wear a size 13, and one boot was 2# 4oz on the REI scale. Quite disheartening when I weighed a PAIR of trailrunners at 1# 14oz. At around 330 pounds with pack though, I figure I need the support. Thank God for Super Feet.

rickb
04-11-2005, 17:38
Got a pair of "Wilderness" boots about 10 years ago, which were full-leather and rugged looking. A bit heavy by today's standards, but not all that bad for what they are. Perfect for early winter, late spring.

Anyway, the soles on these wore down very quickly. To the point of being a bit scarry on a steep hillside. And this came without all that many miles, I think I am on my third set Vibram soles. Replacements were suposedly OEM.

This company advertised in the AMC Magazine, and did a good job each time for me: http://www.cobcord.com/

That said, companies as big as Merril probably use all sorts of diffent types of Virbram, from year to year, and from model to model, and even from market to market.