PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody know the water situation in GA

Jagglax
05-23-2012, 17:19
Im planning a brief section hike in GA this June and i was wondering if anybody knew how abundant water sources were along the trail there. Specifically the section of trail between Woody Gap and Unicoi. Are there any not well known streams not too far off the trail? Thanks

Cwd243
05-23-2012, 18:33
The 4 miles after hawk mountain shelter heading North are tough and waterless. Someone was kind enough to drop some water at coopers gap. It saved my butt. I had a gallon and I still ran dry. I came off the trail at woody so I don't really know much after that. I heard blood mountain is a hell of a hike and blood mountain shelter is dry.

ATMountainTime
05-23-2012, 19:22
Blood mtn is a monster for sure. we've had a TON of rain recently.

Whack-a-mole
05-23-2012, 21:13
Once you leave Neel's gap, there are a few sources. About 2hrs past Neels there is a spring about 100yds to the left. There is a good little trail to it, and there is a good creek at the next shelter, and several springs running down the rocks a couple miles before you reach Unicoi gap. If you tank up at the shelter (I'm sorry I forget the name at this time), you will be able to cruise out to Unicoi with no trouble. This week we have had tremendous thunderstorms in the upstate of SC and western NC, so I'm figuring that northern GA is getting it too.

Praha4
05-23-2012, 21:20
At Woody Gap, there's a spring approx 0.1 mile down a side trail to the left as you're heading nobo. There used to be a blue blaze sign for this spring. Slaughter Creek crosses the trail just south of Blood Mtn. There's usually some water there, depending on recent rainfall. There's also a couple small springs along the trail between Woody and Neels Gap.

Of course there's potable water at Walasi-Yi outfitter at Neels Gap. As you head north from Neels Gap, there's a few springs at some road crossings, can't remember the name now. But about 10 miles north of Neels Gap you get to Low Gap Shelter, there's always ample water there at the creek that passes right in front of the shelter. As you head north from Low Gap, you'll see a couple springs along the trail, then just before you get to Blue Mtn Shelter, there's a couple more springs just off the trail, and noted by a blue blaze. Unicoi Gap is just north of Blue mtn shelter.

good luck

mgeiger
05-24-2012, 07:40
From Woody- 3 miles in is Lance Creek.

At 5.5 miles in, there's a small spring to the left of the trail (NOBO) at Jarrard Gap. I would not rely on this one though

Slaughter creek 7.2 miles in, right at the base of Blood.

Then Mtn Crossings- 10.5 from Woody.

After that, I'm not familiar with the trail. Hope to see it soon though.