PDA

View Full Version : Loop Hike in the Mahoosucs

Beegfut
04-09-2005, 23:18
I am planning a loop hike starting from the Carlo Col trailhead at Success Pond Rd via the AT to Grafton Notch and return via a different route. I see a possible return route via a trail that starts west from Rt. 26 about 0.75-1.00 mile north of the Appalachian Trail crossing. After about 0.50 mile, the trail reaches the Swift/Cambridge River and follows it upstream for about a mile. It then leaves this drainage, turns S/W and follows along the contour of Old Speck Mtn. to Camp 3 on Silver Stream in about 2 more miles. The trail then continues generally west along Silver Stream for another mile, ending at Success Pond Rd.

This trail shows very plainly on Map #7 of the Maine series but it is not named and I have been unable to find any more information about it. Such as:
o Does it have a name?
o Is the trail open to the public?
o If so, are there any restrictions I should know about (i.e., is camping permitted)?
o General condition of trail or if unknown, then who might know?

Mr. Clean
04-13-2005, 04:30
I'm not aware of any trail where you are talking about, but I don't have my maps with me either. I'll have to check. Speck Pond trail just south of Old Speck will take you back to Success Pond road, roughly four to five miles north of your car at Carlo Col.

rickb
04-13-2005, 08:05
The best place to ask this question might be at www.viewsfromthetop.com.

In the Spring, even driving Success Pond Road can be a challenge-- if you drive a low to the ground car like mine, anyway.

The guys over at VFTT will have all the answers. They have as much experience off the AT in the Whites as people here have on it.

Rick B

DLANOIE
04-15-2005, 22:17
Im looking at my #6 map from the white mountain guide book. Im also planning to hike in the Mahoosucs this weekend(very excited). Im looking at the map and do not see any trail north of the Old Speck trail...

im a bit confused, I have hiked Old Speck a few times, I know some people who live in Upton Maine and they know nothing of the trail you speak of.

Sorry I cant help you with the questions towhich you seek answers, but Ill be staying at the Full Goose Campsite and maybe Ill see you there!

attroll
04-16-2005, 00:08
Im looking at my #6 map from the white mountain guide book. Im also planning to hike in the Mahoosucs this weekend(very excited). Im looking at the map and do not see any trail north of the Old Speck trail...

im a bit confused, I have hiked Old Speck a few times, I know some people who live in Upton Maine and they know nothing of the trail you speak of.

Sorry I cant help you with the questions towhich you seek answers, but Ill be staying at the Full Goose Campsite and maybe Ill see you there!
You might want to check on the snow condition in the Mahoosucs. I know wetern Maine still has some snow. I was planning on going up to north western Maine this weekend snowmobiling. But I had to cancel do to other commitments.

Tramper Al
04-16-2005, 07:05
If you take a look at the topo map (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=14&Z=19&X=108&Y=1543&W=3&qs=%7cbethel%7cme%7c), I think you'll see that there are several former roads and tracks in that area. I think it is the one labeled '4WD' that Beegfut is looking at. It has been my experience that most every track like that marked in the Delorme or fairly recent topo map is indeed followable, but you'd better bring your compass and navigation skills, and be prepared to find other logging roads not on any map.

In terms of loops around Grafton Notch, know that the western half of the Grafton Loop Trail (http://www.matc.org/glt1.htm) is scheduled to open this year. Added to the eastern half opened last year, this will make for a great loop hike!

weary
04-16-2005, 07:23
I am planning a loop hike starting from the Carlo Col trailhead at Success Pond Rd via the AT to Grafton Notch and return via a different route. I see a possible return route via a trail that starts west from Rt. 26 about 0.75-1.00 mile north of the Appalachian Trail crossing. After about 0.50 mile, the trail reaches the Swift/Cambridge River and follows it upstream for about a mile. It then leaves this drainage, turns S/W and follows along the contour of Old Speck Mtn. to Camp 3 on Silver Stream in about 2 more miles. The trail then continues generally west along Silver Stream for another mile, ending at Success Pond Rd.
I believe that is an old logging road that used to have a locked gate at least part of the time. When the gate was open it was a short cut back to Maine.

I'm suspect it is still walkable, but I haven't been there in a long time. It's all private land, though our Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust and the Northern Forest Alliance have talked to people about a possible acquisition as an additional buffer for the AT. It's among the high priority areas, if and when money becomes available. The paper company that used to own the land has sold it to a real estate investment trust (i.e. developers and land speculators).

But it's available if we had the money. As private land it is subject only to state laws governing campfires. In Maine, that means no fires without a permit and a permit is probably not available. I don't know about New Hampshire laws.

Weary www.matlt.org

PS Hikers this weekend should expect deep snow.

Mr. Clean
04-18-2005, 20:40
According to my USGS Old Speck quadrangle, there is a 4WD trail from just north of Grafton Notch State park that travels south-bound, crosses the swift river, and then if you take a right after the crossing, it takes you SSW toward Silver stream.Just before silver stream is a left hand turn that goes uphill briefly toward Speck Pond, but stops well short of the ridgeline. It stops, on the map, at 2700' alongside silver stream. My map does not show exactly where the trail/4Wd road starts. It appears that this road loops back westerly to Success pond road near the Speck Pond trail. Hope this helps.