PDA

View Full Version : Erwin to Roan next week

ATVIRGIN
05-24-2012, 19:38
I finally settled on taking my 13 yo son and hiking from Erwin thru the Roan Highlands next week.

Can anyone provide info on the water situation? Any places not to miss, or to avoid?

Are any rhododendron blooming yet?

Thanks!

10-K
05-24-2012, 22:17
Water is fine - there are 2 reliable piped springs just off the trail on this section and water is flowing at both shelters (Cherry Gap and Curley Maple Gap).

I wouldn't carry more than 32 oz at a time anywhere on this 35 mile stretch.

Whack-a-mole
06-01-2012, 12:12
If you make it north of Carver's Gap, go on up over Jane Bald and continue up on top of Grassy Ridge. The AT turns off a little lower, but Grassy Ridge is 6011ft high, and is a total bald with a 360* view. It is beautiful up there if the haze isn't too bad. We used to ride up there every Thanksgiving for the weekend, and the views were stunning in the crisp Nov air. There is great water at Carver's Gap, but then none until you get up on the trail where it turns hard left on grassy ridge.

chelko
06-01-2012, 14:47
Think about going SOBO from Carvers Gap to Erwin.. you and your son may enjoy the hike more, not so much uphill.

Tennessee Viking
06-01-2012, 15:31
You should be walking on some new trail climbing up Roan.

The Gardens area should be open now.

Cloudland has a little bit of history. Balds are awesome. Sometime after the 4th, there should be the annual Goat Project on the Balds. Grassy Ridge is a must. Stop by Overmountain Barn.

Apple House is gone.

Dthomps2012
06-01-2012, 20:52
You should add Carvers gap to 19E absolutely beautiful. The views are amazing. Going up Roan from the south was brutal after putting in a 12 mile day. Had to get to Ash gap campsite.

I agree with Chelko SOBO would be better if you have that option and your son is new to backpacking.

Enjoy your trip

ATVIRGIN
06-03-2012, 09:42
Was a good trip. 3 days , 42 miles, from Indian Grave to 19E. Fair amount of Rhododendron Blooming. Some challenging terrain, some spectacular views, a mix of everything. Great section of trail. Water very available. too. Thanks to all! Mountain Harbour did the shuttle and was a great place as well.

From top of Little Hump mtn you look straight ahead up Hump across grassy bald, then the trail turns, you go back into woods in the wrong direction, back down the base of Little hump practically to where you started, and then turn and wrap all the way around the base of the mountain to get back to the base of Hump. Even my son was saying ***rick?? Why the trail couldnt go downhill a couple hundred yds?

walkinslow
06-03-2012, 18:22
I may do this trip in two weeks with my son we haven't hiked in awhile i hope we can make it in three days. Did you leave your car at Indian Grave or at Mountain Harbour?

ATVIRGIN
06-03-2012, 23:45
We parked at Mountain Harbour, ate breakfast there (7:30 sharp!), and then had them shuttle us to Indian Grave Gap and then hiked back. Mountain Harbour is about 300yds west of where AT crosses Hwy 19E when you get back to Roan Mtn, TN. Pretty simple. $65 for shuttle. A few others were shuttled to Carvers Gap and Hughes Gap the same morning we were. They stay busy with shuttling this time of year with the rhododendron blooming on Roan, so reservations for shuttle need to be made as soon as possible if you want to get an early slot.

Trail is quite varied, good mix of most everything (except waterfalls). Water was plentiful, all springs, most were piped. We planned for 4 days, but covered trail faster than expected in spite of some pretty taxing climbs.