PDA

View Full Version : Where are you headed this weekend?

JoshL
05-25-2012, 10:21
Meant to post this in general but it ended up in Straight-Forward, and I couldn't figure out how to delete the post. Anyhow, I figured with the long weekend a lot of people will be out hitting the trails. I am headed to Estes Park around Long's Peak in Colorado. It will be my first time hiking in the Rockies and at elevation so I am really excited. Where else are people headed to take advantage of the 3 day weekend?

ScoutDad
05-25-2012, 10:50
Backpacking from Woody Gap to Springer Mountain with 3 of my kids, (16, 13, and 9). Starting Saturday around noon and finishing sometime on Monday.

JaxHiker
05-25-2012, 10:52
Supposed to be heading to Standing Bear Farm on Sunday and hiking back to it from Devil Fork Gap. Right now I'm at the ER with my mom so who knows?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

coach lou
05-25-2012, 10:59
The Mrs. & I are taking her 2 children, Mackenzie-14 and Clifton-10, on their 1st Backpacking trip. The grueling, nut busting force march up the Housatonic River between St. Johns Ledges and Rt. 4. Between... not up or down, the Ledges....and we are going to RUN and take all 3 days to do it. The erie wailing sounds coming from Stoney Brook Campsite, Saturday and Silver Hill on Sunday.....that will be someone in our party.....maybe me. HYOH:eek:

bigcranky
05-25-2012, 11:02
Heading to Swift Run Gap in SNP tomorrow, hiking south to Daleville.

Jaxhiker, sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she's better quickly.

scree
05-25-2012, 11:19
I'll be out paddling all weekend on the lower Potomac and surrounding marshes - will probably do an Old Rag run on a day off next week.

Josh Calhoun
05-25-2012, 11:41
Hiking Winding stair gap to the NOC in NC this weekend. be hitting the trail about 9 am tomorrow , hope everybody has fun!

Driver8
05-25-2012, 11:47
Meant to post this in general but it ended up in Straight-Forward, and I couldn't figure out how to delete the post. Anyhow, I figured with the long weekend a lot of people will be out hitting the trails. I am headed to Estes Park around Long's Peak in Colorado. It will be my first time hiking in the Rockies and at elevation so I am really excited. Where else are people headed to take advantage of the 3 day weekend?

That's awesome - have fun, Josh. Longs Peak by 2016 is an important personal goal for me. I will probably head to Mt. Lafayette or Lincoln. Depends on tomorrow morning's forecast. May do something shorter depending on that.

Double Wide
05-25-2012, 12:26
Just got outta the hospy a week ago, so this weekend is gonna be low-key. My big plan is to test some new gear in the backyard tonight. It's a bit warm to try the new silk liner in my 25 degree down bag, but my Quarterdome T2 hasn't been set up anywhere except in the living room so far. Now if I could just pry the cat off of my camp pillow, I'll be set...

Mags
05-25-2012, 12:51
First, I'll give my brother a call. He's in the air guard and was stationed in Iraq back in 2006 as a medic at the Belad Airbase hospital. He did not see combat, but he certainly saw the effects of combat....... Figure the least I can do is call him. :)

After that? I'll be driving down to New Mexico and going to the Pecos Wilderness. Fell in love with the place last year (http://www.pmags.com/enchantment-in-the-sangres-backpacking-in-the-pecos-wilderness-new-mexico), and can't wait to return.

Above tree-line ridge walks, alpine lakes and mountain wildflowers. What's not to love? :)

I am headed to Estes Park around Long's Peak in Colorado. It will be my first time hiking in the Rockies and at elevation so I am really excited

You aren't doing Longs are you? Still a technical route even in this lower snow year. Two of my buddies and I are doing an overnight in two weeks using crampons and ice axe. Be careful....

HEre is Longs Peak about two weeks ago from Twin Sisters (http://www.protrails.com/trails/view/64). Last weekend it SNOWED at 7500' or so feet when I was out hiking. Can only imagine what it did at 14k! :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7078/7253460880_72a5920e6e_z.jpg

Don't know what your plans are, but Twin Sisters is a nice hike in its own right with great views (like above!)

The TH is perhaps 15 minutes from the Longs Peak TH.

If you are willing to drive less than a half hour from Estes, Oskar Blues in Lyons, CO is a killer brew pub. Much better than anything found in Estes Park IMO.

http://www.oskarblues.com/restaurant/grill-brew

jeffmeh
05-25-2012, 12:55
Hitting the Presidentials with a heavy pack full of food and meeting up with my son on his NOBO.

Rasty
05-25-2012, 13:31
I'm at work all weekend. Food service has what I like to call reverse holidays.

Live_for_hiking
05-25-2012, 15:05
Nice easy walk in the Cumberland Valley ....

gram cracker
05-25-2012, 15:23
We are doing the northern half of segment 14 on the Colorado Trail.

dale1627
05-25-2012, 15:30
My three and eight year old daughters asked me to set up the Tent in the backyard tonight. This will be the three year olds first night in a tent. Hopefully do some kayaking tomorrow after the required graduation attendance for my nephew. Have a good weekend everyone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
05-25-2012, 15:45
Going to Petosky MI. May cross paths with the NCT at some point. Otherwise, will drink where Hemingway got drunk.

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 16:22
Workin on mile mar/posts!:D

hikerboy57
05-25-2012, 16:25
going to work:mad:

Veetack
05-25-2012, 17:17
I'm not headed out until Monday, but I'm headed from Springer to Fontana Dam... A little longer than a weekend trip.

AAhiker
05-25-2012, 17:34
Introducing the Girlfriend, her beagle, and one of my two dogs to backpacking in Ramsey's Wilderness area in George Washington Nat Forest,VA. Hoping noone gets heat stroke but I guess that is what I got my WFR for. I'd love to spend time in the Rockies!!

Giggity
05-25-2012, 19:05
nothin to do with getting out to the woods, but I'll be cheering on the USA tomorrow night as they play Scotland. First pro soccer match. Can't wait!!

JaxHiker
05-25-2012, 19:20
Jaxhiker, sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she's better quickly.
Thanks. They ended up sending her home. She had a heart ablation a month ago and keeps having complications instead of getting better. :(

Hiking Winding stair gap to the NOC in NC this weekend. be hitting the trail about 9 am tomorrow , hope everybody has fun!
Please have a Tail of the Dragon burger for me at the River's End Restaurant.

rocketsocks
05-26-2012, 12:28
Headed to a "cook out" with BBQ'd checkens,burgers,nitrates (weenies),and every thing!

No White Shirts!

JaxHiker
05-26-2012, 17:24
Now I'm not so sure. Looks like Beryl might make things interesting come Wed.

Marta
05-26-2012, 20:26
I worked today, but have tomorrow and Monday off. I'm planning a couple of day hikes in Glacier National Park up away from my neighborhood. I'm thinking about starting at Many Glacier for one hike, and going to Belly River on the other.

BobTheBuilder
05-26-2012, 20:49
I'm going to Australia! At least, that's what I am telling myself while I spend a three-day weekend chained to my computer writing a construction bid package for a client in Australia. Y'all have a good time without me.

rocketsocks
05-26-2012, 21:08
I'm going to Australia! At least, that's what I am telling myself while I spend a three-day weekend chained to my computer writing a construction bid package for a client in Australia. Y'all have a good time without me.not a bad thing Bob,your name could be "Bob the unemployed builder":sun

Whack-a-mole
05-27-2012, 22:35
Just got back from doing Winding Stair Gap to NOC. Met a lot of neat people and had a good time. It was hot as blue blazes and the campsites were pretty crowded, but that is to be expected on a holiday weekend. This section was pretty tough, but sitting on the deck at NOC enjoying a BBQ sandwich afterwards felt pretty good.

JaxHiker
05-27-2012, 22:40
I ended up postponing my trip. Working with emergency mgmt has its downfalls.

coach lou
05-28-2012, 18:53
All survived the childrens first backpacking trip. No animals were harmed, SAR , the State Police, or DCF were not called. We did not meet 'Marsha, the Kentlady', but we did met A fellow White Blazer, Sarcasm the Elf, and the children asked if we could do this again in the summer!........................................... ..............but, do I want to? No really, we had a good time and they did awesome.

Odd Man Out
05-28-2012, 19:30
Day hiked up by Petoskey MI. Took the Jordan River Loop and crossed the NCT. Hiked along the Pigeon River - home of the largest elk herd in the eastern US. Saw no elk bud did see Pink Lady Slippers, Tiger Swallowtails, jacks in the pulpit, a Leopard Frog, and a duck at sunset. Then ate dinner at a grill with a 125 year old walut bar where Hemingway drank.

Minnitonka
05-28-2012, 20:07
Headed for Sunfish Pond this weekend, AT near the Deleware Water Gap.

Connie
05-29-2012, 19:58
Odd Man Out,

Are there any Petoskey Stones left on the beach?

I gave mine to my Department Chairman at college so he could be one-up on the Geology Department Chairman.

Connie
05-29-2012, 20:01
Marta,

I didn't brave the high winds, followed by snow, followed by snow with rain either.

Maybe Belly River next week?

Odd Man Out
05-29-2012, 23:31
Odd Man Out,

Are there any Petoskey Stones left on the beach?

I gave mine to my Department Chairman at college so he could be one-up on the Geology Department Chairman.

Looked, but didn't see any. I'm not sure how obvious they are on the beach. I know what they look like polished in the gift shops, but not in their natural state.

Marta
05-30-2012, 02:05
I ended up doing more driving and less hiking than I had planned. Nothing like a nice, snowy Memorial Day weekend. Driving highway 49 was pretty hairy. Near Many Glacier Lodge there was a nice, big male grizzly napping in a grassy spot near the road. I, along with lots of other people, got a good look at him. There were several big-horned sheep lurking around there, too.

The weather was considerably drier and warmer on Monday so I took a longer hike along the western shore of Lake McDonald.

Maybe Belly River this weekend...