PDA

View Full Version : The Newest Whiteblazer

Mountain Hippie
04-10-2005, 03:17
On December 15, 2004 I became a Grand Father. I lack the words to describe the overwhelming feelings that I have experienced the past few months, so I will not try. I do know that I had been trying to plan carefully the things that I want to teach her and had started to feel that it would be impossible to teach a child in this day and age all the things that she would need to know. Life today is complicated. We see that fact simply by observing some of the conversations on Whiteblaze. How could anyone teach the right thing when there are two sides to every argument. I realized that I could not. I am not god and I don't have the answer to every question. Sometimes I don't even have the questions.
It was three days ago that I thought about my own Grand Father. I can say without a doubt that he was the one person that I most respected and loved in my life, bar none. I tried to think how he might handle this situation. I know it may sound stupid, but as I thought about him I realized that he "had" handled this type of situation.......... with me.
Some of my earliest memories where of my Grand Father taking me for walks in the woods and on the trails. Of course back then I had no idea that our walks where his way of teaching me that the two things that he valued the most was family and nature. Yet that was exactly what he did.
So for the first time since my Grand Daughter was born I feel that I can help her and I can make a difference in her life. I realize now that I don't need to solve every problem that she might have. I simply need to show and teach her what my Grand Father showed and taught me.
Yesterday I took my Grand Daughter to SNP and introduced her to one of the places that my Grand Father introduced me to many years ago. She is to young to form any memories, but I took pictures and plan to pass them to her when she is older. I also plan to continue my walks with her for as long as I am able.
I have posted a link to the photos that I posted here on Whiteblaze. At less than 4 months old she has literally set foot on the A.T. She covered a whole three foot of the trail, with my help of course. I hope that one day she will develop a love and respect for the trail and it's people.
I also hope that some day, just maybe she will think about me being the one that taught her the same two simple things that my Grand Father taught me. If I can accomplish that, then maybe I too will gain the most important thing that I could ever gain. To be remembered as being the Grand Father that cared enough to teach............... rather than answer.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1120

Don't pay any attention to the wild hippie looking dude in the photo. It is just her Grand Father. ;)

The Hog
04-10-2005, 06:11
Your granddaughter is one lucky girl (nice photos, btw). What a great moment, those first steps on the A.T.! You sound like a first class role model for grandparenthood.

When I was two, my mother drove me out to SNP for my first walk on the Trail. About 16 years later, she gave me a copy of Ed Garvey's Appalachian Trail Adventure of a Lifetime. That book prompted me to try a section hike in VT. Which led to more section hikes. Which led to a life-changing thru hike.

Happypappy
04-10-2005, 08:43
Congrats on the grandchild, M H. And I must say that I have had the very same feelings regarding the birth of my own grandchildren. I have three granddaughters, and truly hope that I can do the right things for them.
great pics, too.

neo
04-10-2005, 11:13
congrats on being a grandfather mountain hippie:cool: neo

One Leg
04-10-2005, 12:57
Mountain Hippie: CONGRATULATIONS on the g-daughter. It's also nice to finally have a face to go with the name. What part of Virginny do you live in? We're almost on the Tn/Va line here..

Scott

P.S. Noticed your age. You're a very young grandfather....Of course, Sgt.Rock's even younger, and he's a grand-pappy.
My wife's scheduled to deliver our new baby on April 22nd via c-section, and she's 41. Weird, ain't it?

Smile
04-10-2005, 13:21
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :banana

2XL
04-10-2005, 15:29
I feel your excitement as well, my first(a daughter) was born on Dec. 14th. She has not been to the AT yet, but I sure hope she wants to thru hike with her old man one day.

Smile
04-10-2005, 19:31
A ho Mountain Hippie....ever met 'Til When out there on the trail...E.B. Tsa la gi?

Mountain Hippie
04-10-2005, 23:09
First I thank everyone for their replies. It is always nice to be able to share not just the bad, but the good as well. In time I will upload the rest of the pics that I took this weekend. You can see from my photos how I got my trail name. Do take note that I trimmed my beard in between shooting the photos.

The Hog, I have a small library of A.T. and related outdoor books(including Ed Garvey's) that I intend to give her along with the photos. I also try to write a little note to go with each photo so that she will know how I felt when each one was taken. :)

One Leg, Scott I live on Lake Anna in Bumpass Va. It is about 30 miles northwest of Richmond. When I was 18 I lived in Damascus for about a year so I am familiar with some of the area down that way. I spent most of my time on the trail, on the mountain and down on south holston lake.
Congrats on the upcoming birth. My wife and I love our children but I wouldn't want to go through the whole deal again. I am happy to just be a Grand Father and to let others do the really hard work of bringing up a child. Let us know when your child is born and just holla if you need anything.
I know that Rock is a really young paw paw. I bet he will have that little one on the trail before summer. :)

o si yo Smile, my Grandmother was Tsa la gi. I wish that I had listened more to the stories that she told and had spent more time learning to speak and write Tsa la gi as well as learn of her people. My knowledge of that part of my heritage is limited and for that I am sorry.
As you can see from my photos I didn't inherit any of her features but I did inherit a part of her spirit. walk in peace :)