PDA

View Full Version : Two questions for past thru hikers

RETCW4
05-25-2012, 12:06
1. I am a bit uneasy about heights. Are there any past thru hikers that had height issues and overcame them? I've been told by the time I hit Mt Katahdin I'll be opver them.

2. When contacting shuttles, do you call a day ahead or wait until you reach a road/intersection?

Thanks in advance.

Tumbleweed

RED-DOG
05-25-2012, 13:13
To question 1 on my Flip-Flop in 96 and my Thru in 2006 and again in 2012 i did have a slight height issue, but i over came that and relized that my feet stayed farily grounded, going up Katadan i realized it don't matter i just wanted to reach the end, keep you head down and don't look down you will be okay. But don't try Katadan if you are super scared of Heights you will freeze up. Question 2 i didn't use shuttles in 96 or 2006 i either hitchhiked or just walked to town that seemed easier and cheaper, but on my thru this year i used a shuttle once, it would be easier for them if you called ahead and make arrangments, or just walk for me that's half the A.T adventure. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 and again in 2012 ) Keep your feet planted firmly on the ground and you will be okay Happy Hiking.:cool::banana

brian039
05-25-2012, 16:32
There are a few spots on Katahdin that would probably be considered class IV if not for rebar drilled into the rock. Other than that, there isn't anything over class II or a really easy class III. Mahoosuc Notch has some class III but you're never exposed to heights there. I'm a little afraid of heights and I don't remember ever being in a spot where I got nervous except on Katahdin and that was because it was raining.

As for shuttles, you would be much better off and would save a lot of money by hitching into town. It's hard to say when the best time to call is because you would always be at the mercy of cell-phone reception. High spots would generally be good places to call for a shuttle but it's going to be much more of a hassle compared to hitching.

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 16:46
There are a few spots on Katahdin that would probably be considered class IV if not for rebar drilled into the rock. Other than that, there isn't anything over class II or a really easy class III. Mahoosuc Notch has some class III but you're never exposed to heights there. I'm a little afraid of heights and I don't remember ever being in a spot where I got nervous except on Katahdin and that was because it was raining.

As for shuttles, you would be much better off and would save a lot of money by hitching into town. It's hard to say when the best time to call is because you would always be at the mercy of cell-phone reception. High spots would generally be good places to call for a shuttle but it's going to be much more of a hassle compared to hitching.from looking at the pictures looks like 5.6-5.7 East coast numbers.

plurpimpin
05-25-2012, 16:58
from looking at the pictures looks like 5.6-5.7 East coast numbers.

you do realize that 5.6 and 5.7 climbing is vertical and requires ropes? there is nothing like that on the trail, from what I've gathered Katahdin is rough, but not that rough. Class 3 climbing means steep scrambling with some exposure but ropes are not required a fall can result in serious injury but not death. Class 4 involves short steep sections where a rope is not necessary but an unroped fall can be fatal.

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 17:07
you do realize that 5.6 and 5.7 climbing is vertical and requires ropes? there is nothing like that on the trail, from what I've gathered Katahdin is rough, but not that rough. Class 3 climbing means steep scrambling with some exposure but ropes are not required a fall can result in serious injury but not death. Class 4 involves short steep sections where a rope is not necessary but an unroped fall can be fatal.Right you are,sorry don't want to spread bad info.Just meant that climbing on rebar at that level without the rebar yes,you would infact have to be tied in for protection.I should have said it right the first time my bad,Thanks for keepin it real.:)

plurpimpin
05-25-2012, 17:49
Right you are,sorry don't want to spread bad info.Just meant that climbing on rebar at that level without the rebar yes,you would infact have to be tied in for protection.I should have said it right the first time my bad,Thanks for keepin it real.:)

ah gotcha, just realized i came across alittle harsh there (didn't mean to). but yeah I'd agree with you on the rebar stuff, thought you were talking about the whole climb

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 18:05
ah gotcha, just realized i came across alittle harsh there (didn't mean to). but yeah I'd agree with you on the rebar stuff, thought you were talking about the whole climbNo no,not at all harsh,you are absolutely right ,I should and could have explained it better.again my bad,that would be terrible if someone took my words verbatim.I'm reminded of the old adage there's always enough time to do it right the second time round.

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 18:07
No no,not at all harsh,you are absolutely right ,I should and could have explained it better.again my bad,that would be terrible if someone took my words verbatim.I'm reminded of the old adage there's always enough time to do it right the second time round.Though it's not likly anyone would take my words verbatim LOL and isn't it interesting how we sometimes say,"I was just sayin"when in fact we didn't say,and that's the problem in the first place.;)

Moose2001
05-25-2012, 19:05
I too am uneasy with heights. Nothing on the AT bothered me at all. Now the PCT, that's a TOTALLY different subject!

RETCW4
05-25-2012, 19:33
Thanks everyone for your comments. I know if I make it to Katahdin, I'll go up it. Just an issue I have to overcome. As far as shuttles, if I'm alone I'd feel better with someone I call instead of sopmeone I run into by chance.

Seemed like Do's had an incident when she took a ride from a guy who picked her up and then began touching her while driving to town. Don't plan to hit towns that much.

Thanks again,

Tumbleweeed.

kayak karl
05-25-2012, 20:22
for shuttles we planned ahead, but called when we got to or could see intersection. shuttlers DO NOT like to wait. we made sure the whole group was there also.

mattsvensson
05-26-2012, 00:45
I agree with Brian re the shuttles and $ savings. Some gaps and leads up to the roads don't have reception and you can end up spending a lot of $ on them going to/from town ($15+ each way or $30/town then multiply that by the # of stops GA-ME). It can 1-2+ hours to hitch a ride into town and sometimes you walk a few miles towards town till you get a ride but I realized the savings was worth it for me. Sometimes, in the time it takes to wait for a shuttle, you can already hitch a ride.

Bronk
05-26-2012, 01:29
1. I am a bit uneasy about heights. Are there any past thru hikers that had height issues and overcame them? I've been told by the time I hit Mt Katahdin I'll be opver them.

There is a tunnel at the base of Blood Mountain for those who would rather crawl to Maine.