PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting solo NOBO to couple SOBO?

RWheeler
05-25-2012, 12:37
I was recently attempting a solo NOBO thru, which I left due to a job opportunity coming up that I really couldn't afford to pass up either financially or for my career. I ended up getting from Amicalola Falls to Erwin in 22 days. It was my first experience backpacking, and I felt that the research and help I got from Whiteblaze helped me be able to pull it off. My gear worked, I was never physically over my head and was very capable of doing it, and although I was still getting into the swing of it, I feel like I was mentally ready for the long haul.

That being said, I'm currently tossing around the idea of attempting a thru again with my girlfriend in a couple of years (probably 2014), which will probably end up being SOBO. There are a few things I'd like to get input on on how to adjust from the solo NOBO to a two-person SOBO thru.

Cook system: Probably the biggest change for solo-to-pair in my mind. I used an aluminum bottle stove and a 600mL pot. Boiled water, added a Knorr side, or mashed potatoes, etc, and boom. Worked for me. I'm not exactly sure what kinds of foods my gf will be ok with on the trail, but I was wondering if I should think about a white gas or canister stove and a bigger pot, or if we should each carry a sort of "individual" cook style like this. I have a PocketRocket as well, but would probably get something a little more efficient for the thru if I went that route.

Sleep system: ​The other prominent solo-to-pair change. I used a TT Contrail on my hike, but typically just slept in the shelters. Although I also got introduced to hammocks on the hike, and feel like I'd go that route for non-shelter shelter. My gf seems to like the idea of a hammock so far, so this is another point to sort of get more feedback on.

Clothes: If we do end up sticking to a SOBO plan, clothing will be a bigger factor I feel, for the tail end of the hike. I know it was cold and rough weather when I was going through the Smokies this year, and figured it'd be a lot rougher going through sometime in October or November. I feel like it ultimately may not be all that different than what I had planned to switch to in Hanover, but any input on late-hike weather on a SOBO hike would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like there was another important question I had regarding 1P->2P planning, but I'm blanking on it now. But oh well, I can always ask it later!

RWheeler
05-25-2012, 12:50
I remember the other big question I had!

Water treatment: I was using Aqua Mira drops for my thru, but I feel like the cost/time effectiveness might not be as prominent if I were hiking with someone else. I was considering either a pump or a gravity filter with a large reservoir so I could fill it once at night, and have enough water to cook dinner, breakfast, and fill bottles in the morning. I was considering a pump or something simple due to how shallow some water sources were. So any suggestions on options that would be more practical for a 2P trek?

Miner
05-25-2012, 14:47
Unless you and your girlfriend have previous experience hiking long trails (multi-week) together, consider using individual gear instead. Many couples don't finish together. One gets injured, decides they are tired of it and quit, or they break up. This way, the person continuing isn't stuck with carrying heavier 2 person gear.

Many long term couples have ended their relationship on the trail as even small things get exaggerated after being with them all the time. A thru-hike is equivalent to living together for several years. I remember this one couple that had been together for a few years before thru-hiking the PCT, they finished seperately and the girl was with another guy that she eventually married. Couples that do finish together will likely find their relationship closer then ever. But don't count on it. Just my un-asked for opinion.

WIAPilot
05-25-2012, 15:08
And this is definitely unsolicited advice, but when has that stopped me before?? Hammocks?? Shelters?? With your girlfriend?? Are you kidding?? :datzUnless you want some long, lonely nights - get a tent, man! And not one of those UL tents. A real tent.

RWheeler
05-25-2012, 15:17
Unless you and your girlfriend have previous experience hiking long trails (multi-week) together, consider using individual gear instead. Many couples don't finish together. One gets injured, decides they are tired of it and quit, or they break up. This way, the person continuing isn't stuck with carrying heavier 2 person gear.

Many long term couples have ended their relationship on the trail as even small things get exaggerated after being with them all the time. A thru-hike is equivalent to living together for several years. I remember this one couple that had been together for a few years before thru-hiking the PCT, they finished seperately and the girl was with another guy that she eventually married. Couples that do finish together will likely find their relationship closer then ever. But don't count on it. Just my un-asked for opinion.

Yeah, I definitely see it as being a potential end to the relationship, but we've both also gotten the impression from the relationship that it's one for the long-haul. I see the thru-hike as something we can both enjoy, and if we survive it together, then we'd likely be able to survive anything else on the relationship-front.

I do have all my individual gear from this solo attempt, though, so I know I'd at least have the gear to "fall back on" so to speak. Obviously I'd rather that not be the case, though, hahaha.

And this is definitely unsolicited advice, but when has that stopped me before?? Hammocks?? Shelters?? With your girlfriend?? Are you kidding?? :datzUnless you want some long, lonely nights - get a tent, man! And not one of those UL tents. A real tent.

Hey, she likes the hammocks, it was actually her idea. But I get what you're saying. I have an REI Half Dome 2+ that we've shared before. Should work pretty well for the hike, methinks?