PDA

View Full Version : Hello, New here and a few quetions for a beginner.

Marissaj125
05-25-2012, 16:55
Hi, so my boyfriend has done months worth of Appalachian time and now it has peaked my interests. I want to someday do what he did but for now, for this summer, I am going to try just a week of hiking. Now, where to start? I need equipment and a good backpack. Do i need to look for only womens backpacks and items? I want to go alone, good idea? Or should I expect to see all sorts of hikers out and about this summer? Any good gear lists? I often go to the gym and walk. Any muscles I should build or a certain exercise to prepare myself? Also, how does everyone keep up on their hygiene during long hiking trips? Should I safely assume that I'm going to be a bit smelly that week? haha Thanks for any advice! I'll will snoop more around this site/forum for more information.

~Marissa

Spokes
05-25-2012, 17:01
Here's my standard gear list post from Winton Porter from Mountain Crossings (ignore the popup if you get it).

It's tried and true and gives you a cold wather base weight pack between 16-18 lbs. Tweak for summer to go lighter. Gloves and fleece beanie are givens. I'd add a trash compactor bag for a liner. Include a 100 weight fleece of you're cold natured.

Use this as a baseline. It's all you really need. Resist the urge, at all costs, buying useless crap you think you need. It all looks good until you strap it on your back and have to lug it.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

Cheers!

Marissaj125
05-25-2012, 17:08
Thank you! I am worried that I will haul useless things along with me. I am the kinda person that likes to over pack for everything, and I know this will bite me in the butt if i don't be picky.

Here's my standard gear list post from Winton Porter from Mountain Crossings (ignore the popup if you get it).

It's tried and true and gives you a cold wather base weight pack between 16-18 lbs. Tweak for summer to go lighter. Gloves and fleece beanie are givens. I'd add a trash compactor bag for a liner. Include a 100 weight fleece of you're cold natured.

Use this as a baseline. It's all you really need. Resist the urge, at all costs, to buy useless crap you don't need.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

Cheers!

Spokes
05-25-2012, 17:19
We've all been there. My downfall is overpacking clothes. Don't like being cold. I learn every time I go out.

Perhaps your boyfriend can plan a couple of short shakedown hikes to nail down your gear "system"? You know, see what works and what doesn't .... :)

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 17:21
Marissa,certainly you can address issues such as hygiene here in the general forum,but to get more specific about how to does one go about it there is a womens forum,where many of those questions have and can be answered.hike-on

WIAPilot
05-25-2012, 17:35
Marissa,certainly you can address issues such as hygiene here in the general forum,but to get more specific about how to does one go about it there is a womens forum,where many of those questions have and can be answered.hike-on

Or a more discrete way is to simply talk with female hikers or PM female hikers on the forum.

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 17:44
Or a more discrete way is to simply talk with female hikers or PM female hikers on the forum.That's the words I was looking for,thanks Kath.I don't know,sometimes the ole brain......takes a day off or a nap.LOL

Marissaj125
05-25-2012, 20:48

Oh thanks! I was thinking general. I know you won't be able to have a hot shower every day with all the essentials, (washing hair, shaving, washing clothes) Or if you flaunt those oily locks and ignore the deodorant for a few days. haha. My bf said they were a stinky group.

Marissaj125
05-25-2012, 20:51
of course. He actually told me to do my research first on here, and then when i understand most of it, he can help me tie up loose ends. He says it is very rewarding and such an experience!

We've all been there. My downfall is overpacking clothes. Don't like being cold. I learn every time I go out.

Perhaps your boyfriend can plan a couple of short shakedown hikes to nail down your gear "system"? You know, see what works and what doesn't .... :)

bigcranky
05-25-2012, 21:27
Hey, Marissa,

That link that Spokes gave you is a good one. It's really easy to overpack (and overbuy), especially as the trip gets closer and you start adding all the little "just in case" items. You can probably back off on clothing in the summer - the list is more for colder weather.

If you'd like to do a week on the AT, may I suggest Southwest Virginia. I meet a lot of hikers from Ohio in the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area. This section is beautiful, with open balds, wild horses, amazing views, and good trail. I'd suggest that you park your car in Damascus, VA, and start walking north on the AT. When you are done hiking, call Lone Wolf (he's here on WB) or Mt Rogers Outfitters to come pick you up. You could also do a loop hike by parking in the Grayson Highlands State Park and hiking any one of several loops of different lengths using the AT and the Iron Mountain Trail.

Gear: both my wife and daughter prefer women's packs. Osprey is an excellent place to start, though there are other good ones. Try to keep your (empty) pack at 3 pounds or less, your sleeping bag around two pounds, and your tent around 2-2.5 pounds. The goal is to keep your base pack weight without food or water to less than 20 pounds, with 15-16 being a reasonable goal for summer hiking. Then with food and water your total is below 30, with 25 or so being a good place to shoot for.

Going solo is generally fine, though I'd highly recommend an overnight trip at home with someone else to iron out any bugs in the system. At the very least make sure you can use all your gear and that it works in the rain. There will be other hikers on the AT.

You can keep yourself reasonably clean with a wet bandana or a travel pack of wet wipes. Or maybe some of those dry soap cloth things they sell for removing makeup - just wet it, lather it up, and clean up. But yeah, you're not going to smell very good at the end of the week. No showers or shampoo on the trail. Sorry.

Good luck.