PDA

View Full Version : Yo-Yo question

Veetack
05-25-2012, 21:42
Some buddies and I were talking about this the other day at Trail days, and I couldn't find any solid numbers on it. I'm sure it's buried somewhere deep within these forums, but I'm at work and don't have that kind of time to look. Anyway, does anyone know how many people have completed a yoyo? My friend said that only like a dozen have done it in a calendar year, and I was thinking the total number was somewhere closer to 50. If someone could at least point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Spokes
05-25-2012, 22:11
You prolly mean flip-flop.

Yep. Check out these statistics:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers

Veetack
05-25-2012, 22:16
You prolly mean flip-flop.

Yep. Check out these statistics:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers

I see nothing about a yo yo on there.... am I missing it?

Veetack
05-25-2012, 22:23
I just saw where you thought I was mistaken between flip flop and yo yo. I actually mean yo yo, as in the hiker started at Springer, hiked to Katahdin, then turned around and hiked back to Springer.

Spokes
05-25-2012, 22:26
Yeah, my mind just clicked with what you meant. The ATC stats are the only credible ones I know of. Just think if flip-flippers make up 5%, yo-yo'rs must be minuscule. Weather being the most limiting factor.

Veetack
05-25-2012, 22:34
Yeah, my mind just clicked with what you meant. The ATC stats are the only credible ones I know of. Just think if flip-flippers make up 5%, yo-yo'rs must be minuscule. Weather being the most limiting factor.

that was what I was thinking. I still think the number that have done it has to be greater than a dozen in the last 75 years though. lets say 2000 hike the trail every year. There's gotta be at least 1 or so on average that does or attempts it, so I'd venture to guess that about .005% of 2000 milers are yo yoers, and that number, while small, is more than a dozen.