PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil for cheap calories?

Timinator
05-26-2012, 01:05
So I'm wondering if chuging olive oil is a good idea for cheap calories to make sure I hit at least 5k since it's the most calories per ounce on the planet that I know of , or if it's just a recipe for diarrhea. I have about a $16.90 a day food budget which might be hard to hit the 5k mark (tell me if I'm wrong).

Mountain Mike
05-26-2012, 01:21
Chugging no. as a part of a meal ok althouth I like liquid margerine to add taste. Think of a lot of snacking all the time to get calories as you hike as oppsed to relying on them in 3 meals a day.

Bronk
05-26-2012, 01:44
Imagine taking a crap and when you look in the bowl there's an oil slick floating at the top. And I'm not even joking here.

grayfox
05-26-2012, 09:50
You might want to do a search of pioneer food. There are many types of 'Hudson Bay Bread' which is mostly just lard, sugar, and flour. Huge calories--taste? well...

Velvet Gooch
05-26-2012, 10:44
If you chug olive oil, what money you save on food will be spent on tissue. That and then some on hospital bills, post-hike

weary
05-26-2012, 10:59
All oils provide cheap calories. Canola and corn oils tend to be the cheapest. But olive adds a bit of flavor. But I wouldn't chug it. Just add a bit to most meals, including breakfast cereals. You can eat quite cheaply on the trail. Just buy mostly generic cereal, rice and oatmeal, and add your own sugar and flavorings. You get tastier food, at a quarter of the price of convenient brands.

So I'm wondering if chuging olive oil is a good idea for cheap calories to make sure I hit at least 5k since it's the most calories per ounce on the planet that I know of , or if it's just a recipe for diarrhea. I have about a $16.90 a day food budget which might be hard to hit the 5k mark (tell me if I'm wrong).

Velvet Gooch
05-26-2012, 11:05
In all seriousness, do the math. You'll not want to exceed a certain percentage of fat calories per day. That percentage depends on your body and your level of fitness.

I lift heavy things, then put them down. My daily caloric intake varies from 4500 to 6000 calories. I take 1tbs of EVO oil 3x daily, but I also have other sources of fat in my diet.

Not your doctor, not a doctor, this is not medical advice

Spokes
05-26-2012, 11:21
Chugging no. as a part of a meal ok ......

1+ on what Mountain Mike said. I enjoy carrying a small bottle of EVOO and clove of garlic to add to evening meals.

No need to get so analytical about calories.

DrRichardCranium
05-26-2012, 13:13
No. Chugging any type of vegetable oil is very unhealthy.

Just add a little bit to your dinner.

Fiddleback
05-26-2012, 17:12
Granted... 1) I don't do 5000 calories a day and, 2) buying 'camp food' and stuff for the trail can be more expensive than eating at home, but...

$16.90 per day sounds very high. Or to put it another way, a very generous food budget. It's well over double what I spend for a 'normal' day's food (and I eat very well and healthy). Those extra calories must really pack a pecuniary whallop.:)

But I agree with the above...I wouldn't chug olive oil except in the direst of circumatances. But as an additive it's calorie dense/lightweight.

FB

skinewmexico
05-27-2012, 14:05
I squirt a ketchup sized pack into most of my dinners. No problems.