PDA

View Full Version : Snack Cheese

Double Wide
05-26-2012, 12:27
I recently found some great flavors of string cheese--like sun-dried tomato and basil, smoked, etc. and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them on the trail, specifically, do they keep more than a day or two without refrigeration? I'm not talking about hard cheese for amping up dinner, but something to snack on during the day. Also, same question goes for the laughing cow cheese wedges. Worth taking on any hike longer than an overnighter?

Thanks.

chrisoc
05-29-2012, 13:38
There are wedges of foil wrapped cheese under the name of Swiss Knight that need no refrigeration. I don't think Baby Bel need it either.

Odd Man Out
05-29-2012, 13:56
All cheese keeps for at least a few days without refrigeration. It might get messy or stinky, but still good to eat.

schnikel
05-29-2012, 21:55
Packitgourmet.com has 3oz cheese wedges for sale for a good price. Many different kinds from cheddar to pepper jack. My wife and I snacked on them for lunch on our JMT hike. Individually wrapped for easy portioning. No refrigeration needed and lasted fine in all our food drops.
Schnikel

tiptoe
05-30-2012, 12:46
Laughing Cow (la vache qui rit) cheese lasts 5-7 days, in my experience. Don't know what happens after that, because it's all gone. Definitely worth taking.

BigRing
06-25-2012, 07:31
I was just out for 6 days (Springer to Unicoi) and took individually wrapped string and cheddar cheeses...it kept without a problem.

wornoutboots
06-25-2012, 08:40
Individuaylly wrapped string cheese worked well for me as too. One or 2 packs on a few burritos with no mess or great as a snack.

Tracy Ann
06-28-2012, 06:46
That was delicious! You can also try bread and cheese toasted in the fire when you were camping it is really great.

Del Q
06-28-2012, 07:05
I pack Cracker Barrel cheese from the grocery store, individually wrapped, easy to open, have been out in hot weather, gets warm and slimy but still fine............LOVE having cheese with me, eat with my single serving Spam or hard pretzels, excellent trail food, needed calories and fat

Ladytrekker
06-28-2012, 08:34
I buy the tomato basil cheese and it carries well in my pack. If you have a World Market in your town they have a food section for building gift baskets in this they have a lot of small foods like tiny tabascos, small cheese wedges, mustards, all kinds of unique things I get them quite often for hiking. Plus they also have alot of italian meats that are packaged that are also great on the trail if you want something a little different this is a good start may not be the cheapest but is a nice change from the usuals.

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 08:46
We've brought Babybell cheese to the beach,and it stayed fine,I even used the wax for my skimboard,tough it didn't work as well as the regular surfboard wax,but when you leave the wax at home,it'll work in a pinch,the cheese tastes pretty good also.

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 17:12
pack it in between the sleeve and the water - if you are concerned - Block "Seriously Sharp" from Cabot is an outstanding contribution!