PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Online Course

BigHodag
05-26-2012, 15:26
I've put together an Appalachian Trail Online Course (http://at-trail.blogspot.com/p/appalachian-trail-online-course.html) on my section hiking blog. In addition to the great articles and discussions here on Whiteblaze, there are many other great articles, blog posts, videos, and diagrams around the WWW which novice long distance hikers would find helpful, if only they could easily locate them.

The course is laid out linear (overview, transport, food & water, camping, gear, and hiking the trail). From experience with earlier online learning I've designed, I expect most will jump around and likely directly to gear.

I welcome any suggestions for top-notch content I may have missed. While the overall course navigation works, Blogger/Blogspot has been removing my internal links from pages and I will be restoring those next week. I'll also be adding tabs and tool tips to make the pages more accessible.

I also plan to develop some graphics to add more visual interest to the pages and sections.

I've been designing technical training for decades and have recently learned of Rapid eLearning, a faster way to develop training using content developed by subject matter experts thenselves. I had a bunch of browser bookmarks, YouTube playlists, and Twitter favorites, so the obvious subject for an first experiment was our beloved trail.

As a novice with only 200 miles of the A.T. under my soles, I still have much to learn myself. I hope all will consider this a small repayment for the advice and support I've received from the Whiteblaze and A.T. hiker communities. Thank you, one and all.

WIAPilot
05-26-2012, 15:47
Wow. I've just looked at it and it is pretty cool. Would probably be great for classrooms too! I've bookmarked it and thanks so much for doing this!

rocketsocks
05-26-2012, 17:30
Pretty cool BigHoDag,"one stop shopping" at it's best...bookmark, thanks.

Mountain Mojo
05-26-2012, 18:39
Kewl! And thanx for sharing this~ I like the format of it and have it bookmarked