PDA

View Full Version : An interesting piece of info concerning the 1800 mile hike I did on the Pacific Crest

Different Socks
05-26-2012, 16:59
As I made my way down to Yosemite Valley to pick up my next food supply, I was briefed by several other hikers that a huge slab of rock had fallen from Glacier Point, high above the valley floor. As luck would have it, my exit point from the trails was at ground zero of the impact zone of the arch of rock. As I walked towards the main part of the village I passed a campground that was completely empty. People had run for their lives so quickly that they had left everything behind. I walked past RV's, picnic tables covered with plates, utensils, cups, campers, coolers, bikes--and it was all covered in a film of grey dust that had exploded from the pulverizing impact of the arch hitting the ground after falling 2400 feet. There was no other colors of green leaves, brown bark, white campers or RV's, or anything else. Everything was grey. It looked like a modern day version off Pompeii, minus the mummified bodies. Because of my exit point I was one of the few people that were not rescue personnel to see the devastation and destruction that was wrought by this natural event.
Later it was discovered that the arch was massive in size: 95ft long, 130 ft high, 20ft thick and weighed 60,000 tons!! The impact upon the ground was equivalent to 100 tons of TNT!!!
Abnd it fell less than 24 hours before I had hiked down to the valley. Incredible!!

weary
05-26-2012, 21:45
Nature is full of surprises. Most we see. Occasionally, one kills us.

As I made my way down to Yosemite Valley to pick up my next food supply, I was briefed by several other hikers that a huge slab of rock had fallen from Glacier Point, high above the valley floor. As luck would have it, my exit point from the trails was at ground zero of the impact zone of the arch of rock. As I walked towards the main part of the village I passed a campground that was completely empty. People had run for their lives so quickly that they had left everything behind. I walked past RV's, picnic tables covered with plates, utensils, cups, campers, coolers, bikes--and it was all covered in a film of grey dust that had exploded from the pulverizing impact of the arch hitting the ground after falling 2400 feet. There was no other colors of green leaves, brown bark, white campers or RV's, or anything else. Everything was grey. It looked like a modern day version off Pompeii, minus the mummified bodies. Because of my exit point I was one of the few people that were not rescue personnel to see the devastation and destruction that was wrought by this natural event.
Later it was discovered that the arch was massive in size: 95ft long, 130 ft high, 20ft thick and weighed 60,000 tons!! The impact upon the ground was equivalent to 100 tons of TNT!!!
Abnd it fell less than 24 hours before I had hiked down to the valley. Incredible!!

rocketsocks
05-26-2012, 21:54
Nature is full of surprises. Most we see. Occasionally, one kills us.Ain't that the truth,canny get a Amen!

Mountain Mike
05-26-2012, 23:54
Last day of my Donner Pass to Whitney Portal hike I woke up wet. Got so used to dry sierra weather didn't look where I set my bivy & rolled in a puddle. Not a good way to start my summit attemt of Mt Whiney. I fired up my stove & along with my normal oatmeal & coffee there were several cups of tea to warm me up. I packed up & started the climb. Rain had turned to snow & I heard numerous avalances but wasn't to concerned. I stopped to piss cursing how much I had drank & numerous piss stops as a result. I made it a few steps when I heard another crash of rocks and wathced a 3' boulder bounce down the mountain & over the trail 20' in front of me & come to a stop along side the trail. I was happy I just stoped to relieve myself so I wasn't in it's path & that it was that close & my bladder was empty!