PDA

View Full Version : Friggin crazy up here

Chaco Taco
05-26-2012, 22:13
Came from Ethan Pond this am to North Twin. Man am I glad I am not at Guyot campsite tonite. Place is going to be 30-40 deep tonite
The trail is very muddy on the ridge lines in the trees. The water is excellent as are the views. Cool breezes on tops. There are so many people out right now. I have never seen anything like it.

Wil
05-27-2012, 05:59
There are so many people out right now. I have never seen anything like it.You do know that the black flies read this forum and plan their attacks accordingly. You had to tip them off.

rocketsocks
05-27-2012, 06:10
You do know that the black flies read this forum and plan their attacks accordingly. You had to tip them off.+1 very funny

Driver8
05-27-2012, 09:20
Came from Ethan Pond this am to North Twin. Man am I glad I am not at Guyot campsite tonite. Place is going to be 30-40 deep tonite
The trail is very muddy on the ridge lines in the trees. The water is excellent as are the views. Cool breezes on tops. There are so many people out right now. I have never seen anything like it.

I climbed Lafayette yesterday up and back via OBP and Greenleaf and have never seen trails so busy. I passed something like 200 people descending as I ascended. Had to pause probably 15 times between the hut and the top to let others pass, and others did the same for me. Tons of French Canadians, a good number of people from all over the world - Russian and Japanese, English, and people from all over the U.S. Was my first 5000-footer, highest elevation hiked and the largest single-day elevation gain. It was AWESOME!!!! And pardon me self-back-patting, but I was very proud of myself as I reached the summit. Such a feeling of accomplishment and fulfillment.

The longer views weren't great - saw Ascutney from Agony Ridge on ascent, but it had faded by the time I reached the top as it got hazier. The Presidentials were faint, with Washington at times better visible during my half-hour or so at the top. But who needs longer views when you can drink in, both from the top and ascending, the amazing views of the various beautiful spur ridges to the Franconia? Breathtaking. The views into the Pemi were mouth-watering as well, as were the views to southern Whites and west to Cannon, the Kinsmans and beloved Moosilauke. Such an amazing place.

I made two good decisions once at the top, apparently. One was, strong temptation aside, to return back via the hut rather than attempt the loop over Lincoln and down Falling Waters. I was gassed by the time I got there, glassy-eyed, I gather, as two very nice and supporting scout leaders who were at the hut for the night with their large contingent of scout leaders. They had seen me depart the hut and greeted me on return. I was feeling pretty exhausted, but a half hour break, finishing my gatorade and a chocolate chip cookie and a bowl of chicken-vegetable soup thanks to the awesome crook - $4 very well spent - and I had the spring back in my step for the descent. I was also fortunate to be joined by a nice French Canadian couple - we hiked pretty well the whole thing down together and got to the parking lot at 8:15, with a little sunlight yet remaining. I am confident that had I attempted the ridgewalk and FW, I would've had trouble on descent. An important part of expanding your boundaries and limits is to know how much is enough and to have strong and secure bailout options. I was ready to turn around at 4800' if need be had my legs started to cramp. Fortunately they never did - just got a little twitchy around the summit, but held up strongly.

Good decision no. 2 was to drive home. Had thought, last minute Friday night, to bring the tent and bag and other camping gear, scrounge for a spot and camp for the night. Was so full of a feeling of mission - for this trip - accomplished at the summit that I immediately decided I'd drive home and sleep in my own bed. Sounds like everything was so jammed up at the campgrounds that it might've taken me quite a while to find a spot. Yesterday was one of those rare ones where everything comes up roses. :)

Driver8
05-27-2012, 09:33
P.S.: To be clear, left the tent and bag in the car for the hike. The plan was to find a campground. My pack was heavy enough without schlepping the tent and bag up and back. Next time to F notch, I might bring them and camp at Liberty Springs.

The bugs weren't bad, one application of spray at the start was enough. Was hot in the valley but cooled on ascent of Agony Ridge. The winds were significant from the hut to the top - probably 10-20 mph variable sustained winds, with gusts to 45 or so. 50-55 F temps up top. I put on a fall jacket and ski cap over my shorts and tee-shirt, shedded the jacket at the hut, the ski cap at maybe 3600'.

Crowded as it was, I will say I've never run into a more friendly and happy group of hikers on trail. More goodwill and good information imparted than I've seen in a day. Lots of smart, helpful people. And let me just say I love the huts. Just love them.

hikerboy57
05-27-2012, 09:39
Its one of my
I climbed Lafayette yesterday up and back via OBP and Greenleaf and have never seen trails so busy. I passed something like 200 people descending as I ascended. Had to pause probably 15 times between the hut and the top to let others pass, and others did the same for me. Tons of French Canadians, a good number of people from all over the world - Russian and Japanese, English, and people from all over the U.S. Was my first 5000-footer, highest elevation hiked and the largest single-day elevation gain. It was AWESOME!!!! And pardon me self-back-patting, but I was very proud of myself as I reached the summit. Such a feeling of accomplishment and fulfillment.

The longer views weren't great - saw Ascutney from Agony Ridge on ascent, but it had faded by the time I reached the top as it got hazier. The Presidentials were faint, with Washington at times better visible during my half-hour or so at the top. But who needs longer views when you can drink in, both from the top and ascending, the amazing views of the various beautiful spur ridges to the Franconia? Breathtaking. The views into the Pemi were mouth-watering as well, as were the views to southern Whites and west to Cannon, the Kinsmans and beloved Moosilauke. Such an amazing place.

I made two good decisions once at the top, apparently. One was, strong temptation aside, to return back via the hut rather than attempt the loop over Lincoln and down Falling Waters. I was gassed by the time I got there, glassy-eyed, I gather, as two very nice and supporting scout leaders who were at the hut for the night with their large contingent of scout leaders. They had seen me depart the hut and greeted me on return. I was feeling pretty exhausted, but a half hour break, finishing my gatorade and a chocolate chip cookie and a bowl of chicken-vegetable soup thanks to the awesome crook - $4 very well spent - and I had the spring back in my step for the descent. I was also fortunate to be joined by a nice French Canadian couple - we hiked pretty well the whole thing down together and got to the parking lot at 8:15, with a little sunlight yet remaining. I am confident that had I attempted the ridgewalk and FW, I would've had trouble on descent. An important part of expanding your boundaries and limits is to know how much is enough and to have strong and secure bailout options. I was ready to turn around at 4800' if need be had my legs started to cramp. Fortunately they never did - just got a little twitchy around the summit, but held up strongly.

Good decision no. 2 was to drive home. Had thought, last minute Friday night, to bring the tent and bag and other camping gear, scrounge for a spot and camp for the night. Was so full of a feeling of mission - for this trip - accomplished at the summit that I immediately decided I'd drive home and sleep in my own bed. Sounds like everything was so jammed up at the campgrounds that it might've taken me quite a while to find a spot. Yesterday was one of those rare ones where everything comes up roses. :)

hikerboy57
05-27-2012, 09:42
Its where i first stepped on the at in 1976.but please stop telling everyone how spe tacular it is.

Driver8
05-27-2012, 09:58
Its where i first stepped on the at in 1976.but please stop telling everyone how spe tacular it is.

Too late - the word's gotten out. :)

Chaco Taco
05-27-2012, 11:41
You do know that the black flies read this forum and plan their attacks accordingly. You had to tip them off.
Yea the right side of my head and my ear are swollen from so many bites

mudhead
05-27-2012, 18:45
Yea the right side of my head and my ear are swollen from so many bites

Afterbite pen. Ammonia on a q-tip will work, but get the pen.

rocketsocks
05-27-2012, 19:30
Afterbite pen. Ammonia on a q-tip will work, but get the pen.I always put hydrogen peroxide on my bites and the next day they don't seem so bad,if I haven't scatched the heck out of them.

jakedatc
05-28-2012, 08:43
Lafayette is definitely cool.. did it as part of the Pemi loop in HS.

Driver.. curious what was so heavy in your day pack? water, jacket, food, headlamp.. what else ya need?

I did Welch-Dickey Loop with some friends Friday morning. was too rainy and wet to go rock climbing at Rumney so we did the loop in a few hours. slabs were wet in many spots but we are climbers so we slowed down and were careful about it.

Driver8
05-28-2012, 12:01
Lafayette is definitely cool.. did it as part of the Pemi loop in HS.

Driver.. curious what was so heavy in your day pack? water, jacket, food, headlamp.. what else ya need?

I did Welch-Dickey Loop with some friends Friday morning. was too rainy and wet to go rock climbing at Rumney so we did the loop in a few hours. slabs were wet in many spots but we are climbers so we slowed down and were careful about it.

Hi Jake:

Still on Cloud 9 after my hike Saturday. I still carry a lot of water/Gatorade, and my pack is heavy in itself. My daypack is beaten to hell after hundreds of miles and several years, so I use my Mars 80, which I recently picked up used at REI's garage sale. Needed it to hold my jacket and rain pants, anyhow, plus my fluids. Didn't don the pants, but did wear the jacket at the summit and back down to the hut, the winter toque when the wind threatened to sweep the ball cap off my head at 4900' or so.

I've not gotten my gear to ultralight yet, either - flashlight is heavy, as are the binoculars. With four liters of fluids and various and sundries stowed in the pack, I reckon it started at 25-30 lbs. I intend to get a good day pack soon and to reduce my base weight. I've lost about 30 lbs is the past three months, so I don't mind the weight so much, but lighter is definitely better, both with my own frame and with the supplies I carry on my back.

How are the views on Welch and Dickey? I bet they have a good perspective on Mooilauke and the Franconia Range. We weren't too far off from each other, though separated by a day.

The Pemi Loop sounds awesome! Did you do a circle around Owl's Head, including the Bonds and Franconia, or did you do a broader loop around the Wilderness?

PS: Just kicked myself today, reviewing my photos today - I forgot to take ANY color photos of the Pemi. Spaced on it. Got Garfield and Lincoln and the ridge, but nothing in between in color, only B&W. Will have to go back soon and remember to do color next time. The B&Ws are nice, at least.

jakedatc
05-28-2012, 12:19
Ah.. my hike was much lower but i wouldn't have changed much. i had my Exos 34 with 1L water, rain jacket, camera, LED squeeze light, FAK/TP, granola bar. If i had done your hike i would have had a light hat, nylon mitten shells, sandwich and gorp, Sawyer Squeeze filter. Not much of a view friday since it was foggy and cloudy from the rain that was on it's way out.

are there no stream crossing? i know you are bigger so going through more water is a given but having to carry it all at once sucks. even in the summer i don't usually do more than 2L a day but i'd try to plan to refill along the way rather than carry 2lb/liter

Pemi loop i did in '97 i think. we did the wide loop across bondcliff and a day hike down to 13 falls in the middle. we didn't do owls head.. we came right down garfield, lafayette, lincoln, liberty, flume etc

W/D pics
can see my pack sitting in front of us.. mostly empty since i wore my jacket all day.
yea.. we're climbers... (i'm not in this i took it)
cool blooms after the rain

Driver8
05-28-2012, 12:33
are there no stream crossing? i know you are bigger so going through more water is a given but having to carry it all at once sucks. even in the summer i don't usually do more than 2L a day but i'd try to plan to refill along the way rather than carry 2lb/liter

Pemi loop i did in '97 i think. we did the wide loop across bondcliff and a day hike down to 13 falls in the middle. we didn't do owls head.. we came right down garfield, lafayette, lincoln, liberty, flume etc

Bridle Path doesn't have much good water from the split with Falling Waters to the Hut. I could've gotten by with two liters as it turned out. Being diabetic with recent good control of my blood sugar, I'm still accustomed to carrying a lot of water to feed the massive thirst. Am paring it down, just slowly - I err on the side of overpacking. I could've gotten by Sat with only the rain pants and with the ski cap in my shorts pockets most of the way. But I see it as more calories burned, which is a good thing for the time being.

Nice pics - what is that beautiful purple flower? They were in bloom near the overlooks on Agony Ridge. Very nice.

Driver8
05-28-2012, 13:04
Here are some pics from my hike. The first is of me atop the highest rock on the summit grounds, courtesy Dan, and Englishman I met there.

The Greenleaf Hut with Lafayette behind it. I love the huts!

The next two pics give a sense of how busy the trails were, especially Greenleaf approaching the summit:

A couple from Manchester, NH atop the highest rock, with my pack at right. I then took a couple pics of them with their camera, passing down Dan's favor to me.

The views to Moosilauke and the Kinsmans, and Cannon as well were very nice.

ENE over the Twins and Garfield was good, with the Presidentials faintly hovering above.

Driver8
05-28-2012, 13:13
Oops, loaded some of the wrong photos. Here's the view over the Twins to the Presis, which may be faintly visible:

And here's another shot showing the hiker traffic:

jakedatc
05-28-2012, 13:35
http://newhampshirewildflowers.com/rhodora.php

might be that..

WIAPilot
05-28-2012, 14:03
Nice photos, Jake!

Chaco Taco
05-29-2012, 13:46
We did Franconia and Old Bridle last weekend. It was my second time down Old Bridle. Love that trail. There was a very large crowd and we could see loads of people up on the ridge. We got up early and got over before the traffic. The river at the bottom was an awesome way to end it. It was warm out so the shock from the water was excellent.

I got chewed up really badly by the bugs, roughly 30 bites on my neck and right ear. Swelled up really good the day after. I found a homeopathic cream that has worked wonders in just a day and a half. Il def carry herbal armor in the future because it has always worked as well as garlic powder.

mudhead
05-29-2012, 16:02
C'mon now. 30 bites does not equal chewed really badly. Swelling yes, but 30? Few bugs out...

Back in the day the bugs flew up hill both ways.:)

Driver8
05-29-2012, 18:44
We did Franconia and Old Bridle last weekend. It was my second time down Old Bridle. Love that trail. There was a very large crowd and we could see loads of people up on the ridge. We got up early and got over before the traffic. The river at the bottom was an awesome way to end it. It was warm out so the shock from the water was excellent.

Whenever I can do a swim or leg soak in a cold stream late in a hike, I do. Saturday evening's thigh-high dip in Walker Brook was most welcome. I had gone ahead of the French Canadians half mile or so before the brook - the gal was having sore ankle issues after turning it on a rock - and, nicely, they caught up to me just as I was leaving the brook. She resisted my suggestion that they soak their feet, too. I think the cold water works wonders for sore muscles, joints, bones, etc.

Chaco Taco
05-29-2012, 20:25
C'mon now. 30 bites does not equal chewed really badly. Swelling yes, but 30? Few bugs out...

Back in the day the bugs flew up hill both ways.:)

Ha, yea welcome to new england right? :cool: