PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a transcriber for posting a trail journal at trailjournals.com

Different Socks
05-27-2012, 00:08
Awhile back I found the listings on the trailjournals.com site for journal transcribers. I did get one to volunteer for me, but it has been months since I sent this person some entries to post for me and there hasn't been a single new word. Needless to say I am not happy. Now I can't seem to find the listing for the transcribers again. Could anyone whom is familiar with website please tell me where they are and how to get there?
Or possibly suggest someone that I could contact to do the transcribing?

Spokes
05-27-2012, 07:05
Hmmmmm, I couldn't find the volunteer transcriber link either. Weird.

Ironbelly
05-27-2012, 07:43
Why not just type it in yourself if you want it there?

Old Hiker
05-27-2012, 17:14
Ironbelly,

It was hard for me to do so. ATT promised me data coverage, but I was lucky to get cell service. In town, for example: Damascus, there was a 2 hour limit on internet use, regardless of if there was anyone waiting or not. Plus, 2 hours really wasn't enough time for several days worth of journaling. If you got to town late, no library. Many hostels don't have internet or charge for it.

Spokes
05-27-2012, 17:23
I went low tech and it worked out great...... A buddy back home was my transcriber. I wrote out my daily journal entries in my little paper notebook and when I got into town I mailed them home. I bought a bunch of cheap memory cards for my camera on eBay and mailed them home too. My transcriber copied all the pictures and videos off the cards, backed them up, and mailed them back to me in my maildrops. Of course he typed all the paper entries as time allowed.

We never missed a beat.

Next time, I'll create a free WordPress blog and just do "Post by Voice" audio updates directly from my phone then wait for data coverage or library/hostel Internet for written updates.

Different Socks
05-28-2012, 23:20

It's one of the many projects I have on an already over flowing plate. I had an accident on Labor Day where I ran into a deer on my scooter. being hospitalized for a month then in recovery for several months after that caused me to get over a year behind on my current journal, plus months behind on all my other regular things. I am also a slow typer. I saw the listings for transcribers on the TJ website and thought I'd give it a try.

Danl
05-30-2012, 18:54
I just now created an account on trail journals.com and on the welcome page was a link for transcribers. If you cannot find this link maybe tell me the name of your transcriber and i will see if he is still listed .

Spokes
05-30-2012, 21:04
Yep, there it is! Like Danl said... Login and look at the line under the "Welcome (Your Name)" page.

If it'd been a snake it would have bitten me.

msupple
05-30-2012, 21:47

I did exactly that on Postholer using my Droid phone via Verizon. It was a pita to say the least. Typing with that miniscule keyboard was a real hassle at the end of a tiring day. Don't even consider making a correction to your typing.....evn more of a hassle :( Uploading pics was actually fairly easy although time consuming. If I had a reliable transcriber, I would consider sending a voice recording via email. That would be super easy. If you want to stay connected on the AT...you need Verizon.

BTW...if you want to check out my journal go to Postholer and search for hiker.... Miguel
Longer posts were made with a real computer...shorter with my Droid. All pics uploaded via Droid

Cat in the Hat

rocketsocks
05-30-2012, 23:19
Ya know....I'm just thinking through my fingers here,but on another thread we discussed using a audio recorders/and Dragon software,which types entries via audio input.Does anyone know of any service where you could phone in and have that directly go through a Dragon software program,and then send it on...if not,maybe I should start one,hmm:-?but then I guess that's what this thread is about anyway.Good luck D.Socks,will keep brain storming.