PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day on the trail

Veetack
05-28-2012, 07:33
Today, in honor of Memorial Day, I am being dropped off at the start of one of America's treasures, The Appalachian Trail, and my pickup will be 166.1 miles to the north at Fontana Dam. I'm hiking to remember all the guys that have fallen, especially Cpl Barton R. Humlhanz, whose life was taken while he was sitting less than a foot from me on that fateful day in August of 2004. I'm hiking for him, I'm hiking to remember him and what better way to remember than a walk in the woods. Semper Fidelis.

See you all at Fontana!

HikerMom58
05-28-2012, 09:41
Have a great Memorial Day hike... sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. We are grateful and will remember his sacrific for us TODAY!!

dlittle
05-28-2012, 10:39
From Seymour, just down the road.....Thanks and what a way to remember your friend. He will surely be hiking with you!

Whack-a-mole
05-28-2012, 10:39
What a great way to spend Memorial Day. Some may have heard of the Bearbell Chicken. It is being carried from Springer to Katahdin for the Wounded Warrior Project. I donated to that fund after I spent a night in Ga with one of the founders of the idea. The BBC also has a facebook page if you want to keep up with it, but it seems to be a little behind right now. Anyway, enjoy your hike, and I hope all goes great for you!

Minnitonka
05-28-2012, 14:05
Awsome, enjoy your hike. That is a great way to spens Memorial Day.

Wish I were on the AT today, but I'll be there soon enough. Planning to do a section Thurs- next weekend.