PDA

View Full Version : Trail Names

Watson
05-28-2012, 10:21
How do people get their trail names? Do they choose them for themselves or are they given to them, or both? Do trail names change or do they stay with you?

Lone Wolf
05-28-2012, 10:29
i chose for myself

Whack-a-mole
05-28-2012, 10:35
A lot of people get named by something that happens or some circumstance, but it's not uncommon for someone to name them selves. I think they may be afraid of getting tagged with something that they don't really care for. I earned my name and carry it with pride.

Watson
05-28-2012, 12:32
Just curious. When I joined White Blaze, I chose Watson because I was an elementary school principal. You know, "Elementary my dear ________" Now, 3 short months later, I'm moving to a middle school, so I got to wondering if I should choose a new name of just wait and see what happens.

kayak karl
05-28-2012, 12:39
i got KAYAK because of kayaking. it never changed when i hiked. it really isn't important to me. my friends from childhood still call me "ROTE" after Kyle Rote. my dad calls me "MURPH" after Murph the Surf.
many login names are not these peoples trail names.

rocketsocks
05-28-2012, 12:53
Some start with a screen name,get out on the trail and are given/or pick there own trail name,and some will get a new trail name on each year they hike the trail/or write a journal,but not usally.I do not have a trail name,or would just use my screen name or just use john,it's whatever you want really.

Spokes
05-28-2012, 13:20
..... With a name like Watson, the first thing that popped in my mind was "Sherlock".

See its already starting. ;)

rocketsocks
05-28-2012, 13:24
..... With a name like Watson, the first thing that popped in my mind was "Sherlock".

See its already starting. ;)Or No **** for short.:D

Mr/Ms. Watson,I too had a principal named Mr.Watson....good guy he was.

Minnitonka
05-28-2012, 14:02
I took the name Minnetonka, because I lost a Moccasin on the AT.

When my husband was searching for water sources, he hiked down the mountain a bit and found my moccasin- to bad it was not the original one I lost. Little did we know that we lost both of the moccasins along the trail :-)

So much for carrying extra shoes for comfort around camp....

Watson
05-28-2012, 15:08
LOL. My real name isn't Watson. I just chose that because it finishes Sherlock Holmes' famous saying, "Elementary my dear...." and I'm an elementary principal.

msupple
05-28-2012, 22:02
I got mine because I was sporting a Kangle Bamboo Mowbray porkpie hat.

The Cat in the Hat

http://images.kangolstore.com/images/products/2_265366_FS_BLK.JPG

msupple
05-28-2012, 22:07
I recently met a dude on the trail who's trailname was "Knoxville". I asked him if he was from TN...specifically Knoxville. He said no...it's because I'm a Jackass ala Johnny Knoxviile in the show. I thought it was pretty clever. :) He wasn't BTW.

Cat in the Hat

Patton
05-28-2012, 22:46
I had planned on section hiking the AT and invited a friend to hike with me the first year. I had picked a name out so I would not be dubbed with an unwanted name....well, he quickly dubbed me with a name (Belcher) that was not what I had picked. It wasnt the best name, but I rolled with it and it was all good. Then in my fifth year on the trail, I was dubbed yet another name (Patton). Now I dont know what to go by, but the latest name will probably work for a while. It really is up to you how you want to obtain your name and iff you want to go with the flow of your fellow hikers.

Feral Bill
05-28-2012, 23:43
Just curious. When I joined White Blaze, I chose Watson because I was an elementary school principal. You know, "Elementary my dear ________" Now, 3 short months later, I'm moving to a middle school, so I got to wondering if I should choose a new name of just wait and see what happens.
Running a middle school? Should be plenty happening. Just wait. Or settle for "You Poor S.O.B."

Tinker
05-28-2012, 23:50
I used to help people figure out how to use their stoves (before alcohol was used widely in this country), and often would clean clogged Whisperlites for long term hikers while I was on section hikes. I also like to figure out multiple uses for the same item, often by modifying it a bit. My hiking partner on the AT and Long Trail in VT. gave me the name (actually, it was originally "Gadget" because I would buy and try the latest gadgets, but we met a young woman who was called Gadget who was hiking the LT with her dad, so we made a change which has stuck since the mid 1990s.

steve43
05-30-2012, 11:07
Got my trail name from my kayaking buddies in NC. Fifo......f#ckin idiot from Ohio. I just like to beat people to the punch when they meet me.

Lemni Skate
05-30-2012, 13:41
I was going for "Stryder" or "Sgt. Rutter," but ended up getting christened "Stats" my second night on the trail, because I tend to inject numbers into any conversation.

I liked the idea of being Christened by the other hikers. My wife is Tenderfoot due to her first overnight on the trail being right after she recovered from ankle surgery.

Llama Legs
05-30-2012, 16:56
given to me on AT by staff from White Mt High Adventure Base. After they saw photos from my llama trek in NM...and my hairy skinny legs ;)

imscotty
05-30-2012, 20:05
Sounds like 'The Nine Circles of Hell" would be appropriate, or maybe just Inferno for short...

Now, 3 short months later, I'm moving to a middle school, so I got to wondering if I should choose a new name of just wait and see what happens.

WIAPilot
05-30-2012, 22:12
given to me on AT by staff from White Mt High Adventure Base. After they saw photos from my llama trek in NM...and my hairy skinny legs ;)

LOL. I think you have one of the best trail names ever!!! ​I'm jealous!!

Theosus
05-31-2012, 07:04

Truer words were never spoken!

rocketsocks
06-01-2012, 02:10
truer words were never spoken!

.-.. --- --- -.- / -- .- / -. --- / .... .- -. -.. ... / ;)

l o o k m a n o h a n d s

robin31
06-05-2012, 22:23
i have yet to met Crotch Rocket and Future Ex Husband..and I hope I never will. Those are pretty funny. Anyone know any of these? Just asking.

lemon b
06-06-2012, 07:30
First one came from hiking friends, second one from my kids as a way to make fun.

rocketsocks
06-08-2012, 19:06
I have yet to met Crotch Rocket and Future Ex Husband..and I hope I never will. Those are pretty funny. Anyone know any of these? Just asking.I've been giving this some thought over last few days,and think I've figured away that you won't have to decide between the two,why not conbine them...."Scrotch"

WickedMiner
06-08-2012, 19:31
kinda a long story but i was hiking the A.T. in Georgia and was talking to a guy at the parking area on top of springer. his name is Chris(trucker). i was telling him how i wanted to pan for gold. as soon as i said that he just ran to his car. he came running back with a gold pan in his hands. handed it to me asked if i had a trail name yet. i told him no so he said "goldpan is your name". That stuck for a couple days. while sitting around the shelter one night talking with other hikers about trail names. i had said how i liked the prospector better as a trail name and everyone decided my name should be The Wicked Miner. I really liked the name so i figured i'd go with it.

rocketsocks
06-08-2012, 19:47
kinda a long story but i was hiking the A.T. in Georgia and was talking to a guy at the parking area on top of springer. his name is Chris(trucker). i was telling him how i wanted to pan for gold. as soon as i said that he just ran to his car. he came running back with a gold pan in his hands. handed it to me asked if i had a trail name yet. i told him no so he said "goldpan is your name". That stuck for a couple days. while sitting around the shelter one night talking with other hikers about trail names. i had said how i liked the prospector better as a trail name and everyone decided my name should be The Wicked Miner. I really liked the name so i figured i'd go with it.I like it,and :welcometo White Blaze,so did ya find any,them hills are loaded they say,but I never found any.

Sarcasm the elf
06-08-2012, 21:02
After much consideration and hundreds of miles of section hiking, I have decided to choose the trail name Dave. Shouldn't take me much to get used to people calling me that. :cool:

mtnkngxt
06-08-2012, 21:51
On my section hikes I picked up the nickname Wrongturn since I was always going the wrong direction.

coach lou
06-08-2012, 21:56
After much consideration and hundreds of miles of section hiking, I have decided to choose the trail name Dave. Shouldn't take me much to get used to people calling me that. :cool:

Was there some crazy circumstance that accured along the trail that prompted you to acquire that, Mr Dave the Elf?

hikehunter
06-08-2012, 23:11
I have yet to go more than 2 to 3 miles on the AT, however I have hiked in New Mexico, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Texas... I was always looking for a good place to go....so in 1996 some collage buddies started calling me "Hike Hunter".

Mountain Mike
06-09-2012, 21:28
Great name!

rjjones
06-10-2012, 07:56
WickedMiner,please dont take this the wrong way.I like Goldpan better and think you should embrace you trail given name.WikedMiners good too.I have a few names i would like but will wait for one to be given too me.I'm sure it wont be one i would pick for myself but so be it.

Del Q
06-10-2012, 08:02
I selected my name from the movie Jeremiah Johnson, a SOBO thru hiker told me that my name should be "CASH" for Johnny Cash, was (accidently - did not think about colors when selecting my clothes for that hike) wearing all black........was thinking of changing but did not want to become "CASH", considered a spelling change to CACHE but for now sticking with Del Q.

dmperkins74
06-11-2012, 07:43
my kid gave me mine over dinner one day when he was 3. I'm named after a cartoon character from a show he used to love.

Dan P. (AlphaPig)