PDA

View Full Version : Where can my kids send me mail? (Between Dicks Creek Gap & Nantahala Outdoor Center)

Jeanette
04-10-2005, 17:27
I apologize if this info is in some obvious place on whiteblaze.net.... I did try to search and didn't come up with anything too conclusive. So I'm hoping you can help me. I'm doing a section hike between Dicks Creek Gap & Nantahala Outdoor Center (where the AT crosses US-19)... is there anyplace approximately halfway, where my kids can send me a letter or two? I was hoping maybe Rainbow Springs Campground, but it looks like they're closed now (?)...

A-Train
04-10-2005, 17:50
To the post office in Franklin NC. It's a bit more than half way between the two. Send it to your name, General Delivery.

orangebug
04-10-2005, 17:50
Rainbow Springs is closed. Your only real option would be one of the motels in Franklin, NC. This is a very nice resupply point and opportunity to re-adjust plans, even on a section hike.

You might consider a note delivered to the Park Office for Standing Indian Campground, but that would require heading off the trail. You would be tempted to take a blue blaze from Deep Gap to Glassmine Gap along the Kimsey Creek Trail, cutting off all of the neat views of Standing Indian, Carter Gap, Albert Mountain and such.

Go for a trip into Franklin.

Jeanette
04-10-2005, 19:39
Thanks for the quick replies! But wouldn't a side hike into Franklin be quite a long detour? Like several miles? On my map it looks like Standing Indian Campground might be a closer option. I only have six days of hiking time so I'm trying to maximize my time on the trail...

orangebug
04-10-2005, 20:17
A side hike into Franklin would be a major waste of time.

This is where you have to decide to hitch hike (Winding Stair Gap and US 64 are easy) or arrange a shuttle into Franklin from Winding Stair Gap. There is another thread about a motel in downtown Franklin that is very hiker friendly. I've stayed at the Franklin Motel, and greatly enjoyed the diners nearby. The Microtel is famous for the AYCE buffets at Shoney's. It is also the home of Fat Buddy's BBQ with some of the best ribs around - near the Super K Mart on US 64.

You would plan on an overnight stay, resupply at one of the grocers, check on gear problems at Three Eagles Outfitters, and enjoy food and a shower.

Chip
04-10-2005, 20:22
Thanks for the quick replies! But wouldn't a side hike into Franklin be quite a long detour? Like several miles? On my map it looks like Standing Indian Campground might be a closer option. I only have six days of hiking time so I'm trying to maximize my time on the trail...
Yes, you might try the Kimsey Creek blue blaze from the AT and then follow it back to the AT. Standing Indian campground is about 3.6 miles north of Deep Gap. It depends on how you want to work it. The other option is the Franklin Post office. The question is "how much time do have for the side trek". I think I
would do the Kimsey Creek hike (to & from) this way you continue the hike and not miss a section of the AT. Remember to double check the possibility for mail delivery at Standing Indian.

Good Luck & Happy Trails,
Chip ;)

Lone Wolf
04-10-2005, 20:26
It's only 70 miles or so. Carry a cell phone and call them every other day.

tiamalle
04-11-2005, 00:05
I apologize if this info is in some obvious place on whiteblaze.net.... I did try to search and didn't come up with anything too conclusive. So I'm hoping you can help me. I'm doing a section hike between Dicks Creek Gap & Nantahala Outdoor Center (where the AT crosses US-19)... is there anyplace approximately halfway, where my kids can send me a letter or two? I was hoping maybe Rainbow Springs Campground, but it looks like they're closed now (?)...Jeanette you can call Haven's BUDGET INN of Franklin
at 828-524-4403 or Sapphire Inn at 828-524-4406.They recieve mail drops free,
Free shuttles to/from standing Indian Campground,Winding Stair,Wallace,Rock Gaps.These motels goes beyond the dollar to help hikers.ask anyone who has stopped there.Franklin,NC is a great trail town.
:clap Ron

Jack Tarlin
04-11-2005, 08:58
In the 3 weeks in Hot Springs, and after talking to scores of this year's hikers, I've heard nothing but good things about these places and their staff/ownership. This includes doing all sorts of favors (rides, etc.) for folks who weren't even their guests. Because of folks like this, particularly Ron Haven, Franklin is starting to become a great hiker town.

Lone Wolf
04-11-2005, 09:26
It always was a great trail town. There was always a list of local trail club maintainers listed at The Franklin Motel for hikers to call for shuttles. I've been going to Franklin for 19 years.

littledragon
04-11-2005, 10:04
Jeanette, when will you be doing this hike?