PDA

View Full Version : Lightest & Most Filling Food?

P-Train
05-28-2012, 20:07
Non cooked) I'm thinking peanut butter/jelly & bagel.

You?

max patch
05-28-2012, 20:33
Thats what I ate for lunch almost every day on my thru (along with a hunk of cheddar) so yeah, I agree with you.

kayak karl
05-28-2012, 20:35
nothing seemed filling. everything was like Chinese food, was hungry again it 2 hours. :)

Sarcasm the elf
05-28-2012, 20:44
I learned that Tortilla wraps are your friend, whole wheat if possible, the fiber keeps you full longer. Most of the grocery store ones stay good for a week or more while hiking. One of the weirdest non-cook meals I became addicted to during my section hike last year was peanut butter and trail mix on a tortilla. If you bring a stove, try mac and cheese (I use kraft easy mac) in a tortilla wrap.

Odd Man Out
05-28-2012, 22:45
Yes, BJ&J on tortilla is my trail lunch. Also a bag of mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc...) or granola bars with lots of nuts (the Planters bars are awesome). Huge calories per gram. I think of calorie density as more important than filling. Some foods (like oatmeal) may be filling but do not have that many calories per gram. So you get full before getting enough calories and you just get hungry again.

Wise Old Owl
05-28-2012, 22:57
The lightest food is the one you tank up with in the morning before you hike.

Honest? a pocket of Cliff Bars and Homemade Pemmican or Jerky. - couple of monster Snickers too.

mkmangold
05-28-2012, 23:28
The lightest food is the one you tank up with in the morning before you hike.

Honest? a pocket of Cliff Bars and Homemade Pemmican or Jerky. - couple of monster Snickers too.

Purina Monkey Chow

garlic08
05-28-2012, 23:29
Fats have twice the calorie density of carbs, but you don't want to live on fat alone. I carry cheese for the first few days, peanut butter after that. I think the best bread to carry is flour tortillas. They have good fat content and last nearly a week in a pack.

A surprisingly good non-cooked meal is instant mashed potatoes, which reconstitute in a few minutes in cold water. Olive oil is good on that if you carry it. Ramen is already fried and can be eaten like a big cracker without cooking.

Salty, fatty snacks like cashews are great.

Rolled oats are also already cooked in the rolling process and can be eaten without further cooking by soaking in water for a few minutes--add dried fruit, nuts, and powdered milk for a decent muesli, and not just for breakfast.

mkmangold
05-28-2012, 23:52
Fats and proteins are essential; carbs are not. Pemmican is the best food available and if Omega-3's are used during processing, you don' need anything more.

lemon b
05-29-2012, 07:34
Lima Beans in a baggie.

Mrs Baggins
05-29-2012, 08:28
Small can of tuna (love Bumblebee's Thai Chili Tuna or any tuna salad in a can will do), crackers, cheddar cheese sticks. Prefer savory things over sweets. Once put the Thai Chili tuna in a jalapeno wrap with cheese....excellent!

Velvet Gooch
05-29-2012, 09:01
beans/legumes

sweeper
05-29-2012, 09:07
Jello instant pudding, or instant potatoes
lived on these for 4 days once after overrunning a mail drop back in 72

Connie
05-29-2012, 09:42
I fill up on soups.

PackIt Gourmet and other specialty dehydrated foods suppliers (http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/specializedfood1.html) have flavorful dehydrated soups. I find Bear Creek soups at the grocery store. I especially like the Potato Soup and the Chicken Noodle Soup. I also find Alessi dried soups at the grocery store. I especially like the Tuscan Bean Soup.

I may add couscous (lightweight) to stew-like soups or olive oil (from individual serving size packets).

I have other food, but these are the most lightweight, unless you like Minute Rice as a basis for entrees.

I really love wraps made from tortillas or flat breads made for wraps. I use dehydrated black beans and Minute Rice or Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Medley plus add-ons like Tasty Bite indian cuisine, Chicken of the Sea salmon cup or tuna cup and ranch salad dressing. Wraps fill me up.

I also carry stuffing mix, to use with mashed potato mix, gravy mix and foil packaged chicken.

It would be worthwhile purchasing freeze-dried chicken or turkey for this entree.

russb
05-29-2012, 10:45
Instant hummus.

P-Train
05-29-2012, 21:54
Sweet. Thanks.

As far as cooked foods I'm planning on bringing TVP and making all kinds of instant meals.

Talk about light food and extremely long shelf life! I swear, TVP w/ rice, pepper & hot sauce is great on the trail.

QiWiz
05-30-2012, 11:46
Make your own version of "Hudson Bay Bread" - recipes easily found online. Main ingredients are oats, some kind of fat, and some kind of sugar, with added nuts and fruit as you like. Try coconut oil for the fat and ground almonds or hazelnuts with dried cranberries or blueberries. High calorie, dense, low volume, very filling, hold up well on trail even waiting for you in a resupply box for a few weeks.

Astro
05-30-2012, 12:15
P-Train,
What is TVP?

Hoop
05-30-2012, 12:43
TVP = Textured Vegetable Protein (soy).

karo
05-30-2012, 12:49
P-Train,
What is TVP?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein

Sarcasm the elf
05-30-2012, 14:45
This option doesn't qualify as non-cook, however I've always admired the recipe:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?59631-Calorie-Filled-Backpacking-Food

Llama Legs
05-30-2012, 16:50
Been using these for a few years now. Easy to digest, filling, tasty. They're even organic and all that crap ;)

http://theprobar.com/ (http://theprobar.com/)

Tuckahoe
05-30-2012, 17:01
Fats and proteins are essential; carbs are not.

Bull! Protein, Fat and carbs are all essential. About 100% of carbs becomes the sugar that the body needs for energy, while only about 10% of fat becomes sugar. The key is that one needs a balanced diet of carbs, protein and fats and too much of one over the other isnt good.

Odd Man Out
05-30-2012, 19:25
Fats and proteins are essential; carbs are not. Pemmican is the best food available and if Omega-3's are used during processing, you don' need anything more.

Bull! Protein, Fat and carbs are all essential. About 100% of carbs becomes the sugar that the body needs for energy, while only about 10% of fat becomes sugar. The key is that one needs a balanced diet of carbs, protein and fats and too much of one over the other isnt good.

The term "essential" in nutrition means your body can't make it so you have to eat it. You can not synthesize half of your amino acids so proteins are essential, although the amount of protein you need is highly debatable. A couple of fatty acids are also essential, but even smaller amounts are needed. Carbohydrates are not essential in that you can make them from most amino acid (and the 10% of the fat molecule). But carbs are "essential" (in the more common definition of the word) in that you must always have a minimum amount of glucose in the blood. If you are not eating carbs, you have to make glucose. This requires a lot of energy, which is good if you are trying to loose weight, but not if you are energy deficient. Since 100% of diet carbs are available for blood sugar, this is much more efficient. Any time there is a fad diet claiming that one food best and nothing else is necessary, you can bet that in a year or two, it will be something else. A balanced diet never goes out of fashion and makes good biological sense.

Tuckahoe
05-30-2012, 20:26
The term "essential" in nutrition means your body can't make it so you have to eat it. You can not synthesize half of your amino acids so proteins are essential, although the amount of protein you need is highly debatable. A couple of fatty acids are also essential, but even smaller amounts are needed. Carbohydrates are not essential in that you can make them from most amino acid (and the 10% of the fat molecule). But carbs are "essential" (in the more common definition of the word) in that you must always have a minimum amount of glucose in the blood. If you are not eating carbs, you have to make glucose. This requires a lot of energy, which is good if you are trying to loose weight, but not if you are energy deficient. Since 100% of diet carbs are available for blood sugar, this is much more efficient. Any time there is a fad diet claiming that one food best and nothing else is necessary, you can bet that in a year or two, it will be something else. A balanced diet never goes out of fashion and makes good biological sense.

Odd Man Out -- Thanks for putting it in much better terms than I.

Odd Man Out
05-30-2012, 23:40
Odd Man Out -- Thanks for putting it in much better terms than I.

I'm glad to be on the same page with you. I was about to call you on the gluconeogenic fat, but then I remembered the 10% glycerol. Way to go!

rocketsocks
05-30-2012, 23:54
Odd Man Out,I love Oats,I mean I love em,do you think that a person could live on the stuff for an extented time,maybe like oh I don't know,a year,or longer.What might one expect of the body,and level of energy,I'm really curious on this.Thanks

Odd Man Out
05-31-2012, 00:28
Odd Man Out,I love Oats,I mean I love em,do you think that a person could live on the stuff for an extented time,maybe like oh I don't know,a year,or longer.What might one expect of the body,and level of energy,I'm really curious on this.Thanks

Except for the fact that I've always advocated a balance diet, oats seem to be a pretty good food to build around. It's higher in protein and fat than other grains. It has a better amino acid balance too. I have made some excellent oatmeal based beer too (must mash with malted barley).

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5707/2

Try my uncooked oatmeal recipe for breakfast:

1 serving of quick oats (however much you want to eat). Season with a good dash of cinnamon, a decent slug of real maple syrup (no fake stuff), a dab of butter (more if you are thru hiking), a dash of salt, a splash of milk (can use dry milk if hiking). Throw in some dried fruit (MI cherries are my favorite) and/or nuts. Then add boiling water while stirring to get the desired consistency (you can go a little thin as it will set as it cools).

I like the texture of this more than cooked oatmeal (instant oatmeal is evil). Cooking dissolves the starch and just makes it gummy. Plus with this method you don't get the pan dirty and the bowl is easy to clean as the dissolved starch doesn't set up like glue.

rocketsocks
05-31-2012, 00:37
Except for the fact that I've always advocated a balance diet, oats seem to be a pretty good food to build around. It's higher in protein and fat than other grains. It has a better amino acid balance too. I have made some excellent oatmeal based beer too (must mash with malted barley).

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5707/2

Try my uncooked oatmeal recipe for breakfast:

1 serving of quick oats (however much you want to eat). Season with a good dash of cinnamon, a decent slug of real maple syrup (no fake stuff), a dab of butter (more if you are thru hiking), a dash of salt, a splash of milk (can use dry milk if hiking). Throw in some dried fruit (MI cherries are my favorite) and/or nuts. Then add boiling water while stirring to get the desired consistency (you can go a little thin as it will set as it cools).

I like the texture of this more than cooked oatmeal (instant oatmeal is evil). Cooking dissolves the starch and just makes it gummy. Plus with this method you don't get the pan dirty and the bowl is easy to clean as the dissolved starch doesn't set up like glue.Alright thanks.Yep,again just curious about the oatmeal thing,and it sounds like you sure know alot about food.Perhaps on one trip I'll take nothing more than some oats and a feed bag,so I don't have to stop hiking...just kidding,I have to stop....often.Oh,and some apple,they clean the teeth real nice,and cut the slim a little.thanks again Odd Man Out.:)

ps I like those steel cut oats as well,there good eatin! And thanks for the link!

scree
05-31-2012, 00:52
Been using these for a few years now. Easy to digest, filling, tasty. They're even organic and all that crap ;)

http://theprobar.com/ (http://theprobar.com/)

I'll second that. I go through cases of Superfood Slam faster than I probably should, because I'll often eat one for lunch at the office instead of going out or bringing a salad or whatever. Always puts a smile on my face since it reminds of better times outdoors -vs- the office. Surprisingly filling and delicious - not a big fan of most other bars but these are great.

rocketsocks
05-31-2012, 01:07
I'll second that. I go through cases of Superfood Slam faster than I probably should, because I'll often eat one for lunch at the office instead of going out or bringing a salad or whatever. Always puts a smile on my face since it reminds of better times outdoors -vs- the office. Surprisingly filling and delicious - not a big fan of most other bars but these are great.I too have had my share of bars,more over Clif bars.I have eatin so many Clif bars,that now I have vertigo....F# me running.

Rickard
06-07-2012, 10:56
http://www.backpackingchef.com/food-dehydrator-recipes.html

Feral Bill
06-07-2012, 12:19
If you have a proper bagel shop nearby, you are fortunate. If not, it is easy and cheap to make your own bagels. A stand mixer helps a lot. Ask the Google for a recipe. (Boiling is an essential step.) Infinitely better than the pathetic imitations in grocery stores.

RED-DOG
06-07-2012, 13:55
Everybody's idea's are great and i have tried them all, but i like this,take a block of cheddar chesse shred as much as needed ( with pocket knife ) then some summer sausage wrap it, in a whole wheat tortila wrap add pepper and salt and some mustard if you got it. Two makes a perfect meal for on the go thru-hiker. i never had much luck packing snickers bar, melt to fast. or take some tuna any choice and summer sausage mix with chesse put on tortila wrap. enjoy. Nuttella is great on bagels. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 and again this year ) Happy Hiking:dance

sbhikes
06-07-2012, 18:49
I developed an inability to swallow tortillas while hiking. I also could not physically swallow fig newtons. Peanut butter was really difficult to swallow, too.

I carried one large packet of instant pudding and enough Nido to make it with each resupply on the PCT. When nothing else would turn off the hunger, I would drop a pudding bomb in my stomach and that would put a stop to the hunger for quite a while. My favorite flavors were butterscotch, banana, lemon and vanilla. Didn't much like chocolate or pistachio.

TD55
06-07-2012, 19:43
The thread says Light & Most Filling Food with no cooking, not tastiest and most nutritious. Tough to beat instant oatmeal with added whatever.

leaftye
06-07-2012, 19:48
The only foods that I find filling are those that I can't eat a lot of because it's not that tasty or it's tedious to eat, or that digests slowly. Meat, especially tuna, and also the peanut butter that you mentioned, plus oatmeal and quinoa. Feeling filled is not ideal on the trail. I don't want to feel filled, or I'll eat less, and I need to be eating a lot more. Filling food is what I want at home when I need to restrict calories.

Papa D
06-07-2012, 20:31
Oatmeal mixed with peanut butter or almond butter has always been my warming winter go-to - I've done without cooking it - - better hot though

The_watch_guy
06-08-2012, 07:28
I'm still confused about the Purina Monkey chow ....

Tacky Hiker
08-21-2012, 19:11
I prefer tuna packs, a few crackers, and a Clif bar.

Papa D
08-21-2012, 19:41
Instant mashed potatoes and a small foil pack of tuna fish might make the grade in areas including carbohydrates, filling, protein, sustainable, and light. There is nothing like a GU shot with caffeine to get you up a mountain though.

Sully2013
08-21-2012, 19:42
One serving of belvita with one serving of Nutella is 430 calories. 19 grams of whole grain and 3 grams of fiber in the.

Papa D
08-21-2012, 20:16
One serving of belvita with one serving of Nutella is 430 calories. 19 grams of whole grain and 3 grams of fiber in the.

Just had to google-up Belvita - cool - never seen them - even in a whole foods type store - doubt I could get them at the average convenience store along the AT - - carbs and proteins are the building blocks of nutrients - plant foods are always best - augment with fruit and (of course) snickers bars

Del Q
08-21-2012, 20:20
Spam single serving and Pita bread (requisitioned mustard packets) and cheese a nice plus.

Papa D
08-21-2012, 20:26
Spam single serving and Pita bread (requisitioned mustard packets) and cheese a nice plus.

You might want to go to the Cafe and look at Woo's post about a guy eating a skunk - - on balance (sorry), I might opt for the skunk.

fiddlehead
08-21-2012, 21:45
Many good suggestions here.
Probably the potato flakes constituted with cold water are the lightest and most powerful IMO.

Something that hasn't been mentioned and I like to carry are potato chips.
Just crush them up and they pack down pretty small.
Gives you fat and (needed) salt for a nice snack.

3_dogs
08-22-2012, 13:40
This option doesn't qualify as non-cook, however I've always admired the recipe:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?59631-Calorie-Filled-Backpacking-Food

This gives me an idea. I regularly make pizza on the grill with a baking stone, starting with an 89 cent pack of pizza crust mix. I could split the dough into 4 or 5 piece, rolling them out individually into a 5 or 6 inch circle, and bake. After they cool, throw them into a Ziploc. I could make small pizza's of any type (traditional, white, taco, dessert), requiring only enough cooking for the toppings to heat. I could eat them like a pita with peanut butter.

Thanks for the idea.

WingedMonkey
08-22-2012, 13:47
This gives me an idea. I regularly make pizza on the grill with a baking stone, starting with an 89 cent pack of pizza crust mix. I could split the dough into 4 or 5 piece, rolling them out individually into a 5 or 6 inch circle, and bake. After they cool, throw them into a Ziploc. I could make small pizza's of any type (traditional, white, taco, dessert), requiring only enough cooking for the toppings to heat. I could eat them like a pita with peanut butter.

Thanks for the idea.

Or you could just buy pocket-less pitas.
:sun

Sully2013
08-22-2012, 14:56
Papa D we buy Belvita at Walmart, I don't know how many are in trail towns.

3_dogs
08-22-2012, 15:19
Or you could just buy pocket-less pitas.
:sun

That's not as fun. And, making my own may generate the next idea. In 3 or 4 iterations I may create the ultimate pack meal. :)