PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Updates - Maryland '12

Blissful
05-28-2012, 20:36
A few shelter notes after ridge running this week -

Springs are running well after copious rain this past week.

NOTE - There have been numerous sightings (and by yours truly who saw two of them and confirmed it) of black widow spiders at the Garvey shelter. Please take precautions when camping there. One was also spotted on the outside wall of the shelter.

At Rocky Run shelter - there is a resident black cat that has been a nuisance with hikers and food.

PATC was made aware of these issues.

I plan to hike the northern route next week and will report on that area.

shelb
05-28-2012, 21:23
Thank you!

Rain Man
05-28-2012, 21:24
At Rocky Run shelter - there is a resident black cat that has been a nuisance with hikers and food.

Might it be this one? Saw him/her playing with a live mouse on the trail about half an hour before we got to Rocky Run Shelters, last Sunday.

Rain:sunMan

bfayer
05-29-2012, 09:43
I didn't run into any of that this weekend, but I did run into an interesting character carrying a battle ax and a machette about half way between Washington Monument and the I - 70 footbridge.

I gave him some Gatorade and he asked me how I keep my pack so light.

About half the people I ran into said they were planning on staying at Pine Knob, Must have been a zoo there Saturday night.

Overall great weekend for a hike.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank Blissfull for looking out for us in MD.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Xanxer82
05-29-2012, 13:30
Black Widows eh? Looks like I'll be staying in the tent when I get there.

Don H
05-29-2012, 16:41
Black Widows are nothin', look out for the Deer Ticks! They're everywhere!

RETCW4
05-29-2012, 16:45
Be careful. There was a report of a black widow between the netting and fly of a hiker's tent.

I also want to thank Blissful. Leapfrogged with her from Rocky Run to I-70, she took trash, cut branches on the trail and looked out for everyone.

Didn't see the guy with the weapons. And yes Rainman that was the cat.

Also there were a lot of big trees across thte trail from Anaapolis Rocks to Pogo Campsite. Ran into a PATC maintainer and notified him.

Blissful
05-30-2012, 14:31
I let PATC know also on my report about the blowdowns, etc.
And the assorted critters... :)

Blissful
05-30-2012, 14:32
Black Widows are nothin', look out for the Deer Ticks! They're everywhere!

Yes!! I am seeing way too many thru hikers without shirts on, hiking. Dumb idea.

Blissful
05-30-2012, 14:33
Might it be this one? Saw him/her playing with a live mouse on the trail about half an hour before we got to Rocky Run Shelters, last Sunday.

Rain:sunMan

Looks like the cat all right.

Blissful
07-08-2012, 22:03
Shelter updates -

Crampton's spring is drying up - get water from Gathland State park (if going SOBO, walk down the service road near the shelter to get it).
When you get water at POGO, Don't get it from the stream, walk down the Thurston Griggs trail 200 feet to the spring on the right that comes out of a small pipe.
Garvey has a hornet issue right now, not sure if there's a nest or what. Between that and recent black widow, it's an interestingly buggy place. Some trail angels were leaving water in jugs at the start up Weverton CLiff to avoid having to haul up water from the spring (this is for those going NOBO). Not sure how long that practice will continue. I did not go down and check the spring myself at Garvey this time.
The maintainers did a SUPER job clearing out the blowdowns after the recent storm. If you see any of them, please thank them!
Oh, and the cat from Rocky Run found a home, courtesy of my fellow ridgerunner. But someone has sighted a new one near Lambs Knoll. SO the black cat stories continue.

Please remember - no alcohol is permitted on the AT in MD. Please camp only in designated shelters and campsites.