PDA

View Full Version : Planning a thru hike.....

DeKo
05-29-2012, 05:52
...but my first step should be to hike a part of the AT to get some sort of experience. My question is which part (and at what time) would you suggest to get a good impression. It should take a month or two. I hiked some trails in Europe but I believe they are not so lonely like the AT.
My aim is to try a part next year and come back the year after that and hike the hole trail.:banana

Many thanks for your ideas and sorry for my English.
Greetings from Berlin, Germany
Detlef

Spokes
05-29-2012, 06:48
Take a look at this 10 page article on hiking the AT. It covers a lot of info including trail etiquette and a summary of each of the major sections. (ignore the popup)

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530?page=3

Then check out the Appalachian Trail Conservancy site and look under the "hiking" tab for more info.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home

That should be a good start....... :)

DeKo
05-31-2012, 10:50
Thanks Spokes, I will go through that material and find out what is suppost to be a good start and what is the shortest appraoch to that part of the AT.

What kind of stoves you guys are using? I mean for what stove i am able to get fuel all the time ?
Thank you again.

Sweetspot
05-31-2012, 11:07
i would start at Springer and go north as far as you can. Next year start were you left off etc. I have used a pocket rocket with a canister. I had a hard time figuring out how much fuel I had left. Canister were available along the way. This year I changed to a Evernew alcohol stove because I could see how much fuel I had left plus this stove will also burn wood if I happen to run out. Fuel was available. I have burned rubbing alcohol in it and it will use Everclear if needed. And it weighs nothing. Atlanta is easy for you to fly into and there are several ways for you to get to the trail. And back.

kayak karl
05-31-2012, 11:13
but I believe they are not so lonely like the AT.

im not sure what you mean here? elaborate a little.

10-K
05-31-2012, 11:15
You could start in Glencliff, NH and hike north to Gorham, NH knowing if you can do that you can do it all.

Live_for_hiking
05-31-2012, 11:23
As far as where to start, I'd start in GA and work my way north. If you wanted to spend more time with the social aspect of the AT, then you may want to consider starting your hike mid-trail where the bubble is located.

Fuel stove? Alcohol works well and fuel is readily available.

Prep? Why not go out and enjoy some Wolksmarches in your area. Start with the 10K ones and work your way up to the 20K ones. I can understand what you mean by trails in Europe not being very lonely. They were crowded when I hiked them in the 80's with my family. I imagine they continue to be so today. More crowded than off-bubble hikes away from towns along the AT anyway. (my opinion of course).

RED-DOG
05-31-2012, 11:50
From harper's Ferry North into Maryland and Pennslvania that should give you a good start and finish points and a good hiking experience. Denatured Alcohol for sure. RED-DOG

DeKo
05-31-2012, 13:10
im not sure what you mean here? elaborate a little.

Its just a feeling that the AT is far away from civilization (I hope that). If you work such trails in Germany ( of course shorter ones :-) ) you are never really "in the woods". There are always cities or a village nearby. Even as I hiked through the highlands of Iceland there are often trucks with tourits and you could "catch" some food from them. I got that feeling as I stood on Mt. Washington years ago and looked around. That was a view I will never forget.

DeKo
05-31-2012, 13:47
Thank you all for your recommendations.
@Sweetspot, I will try to get that Evernew alcohol stove in Germany. Sounds and looks good. I went with gas so far.

@Live_for_Hiking, Volksmarsch sounds funny. I have to figure out what does it mean.....

Again thank you all, I will follow that forum and I am sure that I will find important stuff. :)

10-K
05-31-2012, 13:54
The AT is not far from civilization - ever. It can feel remote at times but it's pretty much an illusion.

It's still a great experience though - I hope you like it.