PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

Pa Man
04-10-2005, 19:04
I am a FOOSIS.(Fat, Old, Outa,Shape, Inexperience, Slow) beginner. Mainly I am retired with no time demands. I am looking for an easier part of the trail to start hiking, I am thinking about starting at Harpers Ferry and going South, GOOD IDEA??

Smile
04-10-2005, 19:25
First....get psyched by watching a good DVD like TREK to get you motivated!, Southern PA is pretty flat.......

Lone Wolf
04-10-2005, 20:11
Start at HF and go NORTH.

A-Train
04-10-2005, 21:53
start at Rockfish Gap, the southern entrance to the Shenendoah's, near Waynesboro VA. Trail is pretty, gradual and a nice way to ease into trail life with wayside/restraunt/camp stores almost every day. You'll hit harpers ferry 10 days later and still have lots of flat walking in maryland and southern pennsylvania, at which point you'll have gotten in better shape for terrain ahead

MedicineMan
04-11-2005, 00:51
no one suggested he start in Georgia?

Peaks
04-11-2005, 08:00
no one suggested he start in Georgia?

The two ends of the trail are the toughest. The easier sections are mid-Atlantic, from Virginia to Massachusetts. So, for someone who is FOOSIS, it makes good sense to start where the terrain is easier.

Jaybird
04-11-2005, 09:08
Yo P.M....

I'm in the FOOSIS club too... & i section-hike a few weeks every year on the A.T. (i still have a job that occupies wayyyy to much of my time!).

I'd suggest starting @ THE START...SPRINGER Mtn.

start slow....8-10 mile days....then by NEELS GAP/WALASI YI CENTER...
you'll start feeling your "own pace"......ship the "dont need its" home....

the heavier the backpack...the more stress on those FOOSIS knees!
(i know this from experience)

then you can head NOBO...& as you get your "trail legs" about week #2...you'll pick up more miles per day...

good luck with your hike...

i'll be out there: APr 28-May 5 Hot Springs-Erwin (w/"the MOdel T crew")
May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap back to Erwin
May 8-20 Damascus to Pearisburg,VA :D

mrc237
06-04-2005, 11:37
I just did the section A-Train suggested from Rockfish Gap to Front Royal (after TDs) a nice easy hike not too much strain on my FOOSIS body. Eight days got a shuttle to HF and Amtrak to Wash then NYC and home. Reccomend visit to Terrapin Hostel in FR just east of the trail bafore exit of SNP>-----------------EZ

TOW
06-04-2005, 14:48
jes start........ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_106.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm020YYUS) http://i1img.com/images/smileycentral/stamps/stamp728.gif (http://www.mymailstamp.com/?partner=ZMzeb001)

zephyr1034
06-04-2005, 20:30
start slow....8-10 mile days....then by NEELS GAP/WALASI YI CENTER...
you'll start feeling your "own pace"......ship the "dont need its" home....
================================================== ==========

I used to hear tales about a dumpster at a road crossing somewhere near Springer, where hikers would jettison things they decided they didn't need any more. Anybody know ?

MOWGLI
06-04-2005, 20:46
I am a FOOSIS.(Fat, Old, Outa,Shape, Inexperience, Slow) beginner. Mainly I am retired with no time demands. I am looking for an easier part of the trail to start hiking, I am thinking about starting at Harpers Ferry and going South, GOOD IDEA??

I donno. Are you day hiking now? If so, how many miles is your longest hike? Have you backpacked before? If so, how far? What does your pack weigh?

I am not of the opinion that a beginning hiker - especially one who is 61 and admitedly out of shape - should start backpacking before building your stamina as a dayhiker.

Hit the trails near home and build up to a backpacking trip in Shenandoah National Park. It's beautiful there, and the terrain is not all that difficult.

Good luck! Be safe! Enjoy!

Nean
06-04-2005, 22:57
Z-1034, that dumpster was really a shelter... or 4 And I agree with M-16, Start walking now and build up pace, distance, weight- slowly. Listen to your body and take breaks as often as needed

MedicineMan
06-04-2005, 23:35
but if really overweight and out of shape mabe your first hike ought to be to your family physician and get looked over...wouldnt be a good day to have an MI on the trail....and dont let anyone mislead you, even the sections in SNP can be challenging if you never experienced the AT.

Tracey
06-05-2005, 05:59
Zephyr,

When the trail exits the woods @ Woody Gap, there is a picnic area. I don't know if this is the location you are thinking about, but we certianly saw lots of stuff left behind...a perculating coffee pot w/ at least a pound of coffee, packets of tuna, a book, a stuff sack...it was amazing!