PDA

View Full Version : Hidden curse for men *Jock Itch*

barf_jay
05-29-2012, 14:34
I was planning on hiking from Deep Gap to Fontana Dam, all started off well, but then due to the warm and muggy conditions over the weekend, on the second day I started to get a strong burning & stinging sensation in my groin area. Since I have never gotten 'Jock Itch' prior to this occasion, I had no idea what was going on other than it hurt like heck (to put it nicely). By the time I made it to Winding Stair Gap, I was in immense pain, and had to come off the trail, I stayed over in Franklin and had my wife pick me up.

Lessons learned if you have never gotten this before, beware, I would not wish this on anyone, especially out on the AT! I got home & put some Lotrimin & Gold bond's powder and I am finally at about 90% after 2 days. Uuggghhh! I am planning on finishing this section later, but I have a 2 new items to add to my must have list prior to any hike.

Moose2001
05-29-2012, 14:55
Get rid of the underwear and go with a pair of shorts with a net. You'll not have those problems again.

coach lou
05-29-2012, 15:23
I get it when I put alot of miles on my bicycles. Believe it or not, I get relief from Desenex Foot Powder!

Llama Legs
05-29-2012, 15:34
try some Gold Bond or Monkey Butt powder. Get away from separate briefs, as Moose recommends.

Chif
05-29-2012, 15:47
Probably more an issue of chafing than fungus.

Try: Synthetic boxer-brief style underwear, Under Armour or Target Champion brand equivilant
Regular Gold Bond application
Wash at night to remove salt crystals from sweat and apply Desitin, if necessary

Hiking is a learning process and some of the lesson are more painful than others.

Chif

scree
05-29-2012, 16:32
Sounds more like chafing than jock itch - jock itch is a fungal infection, chafing is more of a friction burn. You get jock itch from wearing the same damp underwear too long, you get chafing from something rubbing you the wrong way.

For bad chafing, also look at Hydropel, Body Glide, or Cramer's Skin Lube, Cramer's being the cheapest and messiest. In general, powder will be lighter weight and combats both chafing and jock itch since it keeps you dry and dry lubricated. Good recommendations on Monkey Butt and Gold Bond.

Don H
05-29-2012, 16:35
+1 on the boxer briefs.

Rain Man
05-29-2012, 16:35
Get some tight "bike shorts" style underwear. Walmart sells store brand for about $10. Also, use a "Body Glide" style friction bar (Gold Bond just came out with its own version) or diaper rash cream (similar). Don't hike without it!

Can also use Chapstick. Multi-function! :)

Rain:sunMan

Chif
05-29-2012, 19:03
Note to self:

Don't ask to borrow Rainman's chapstick.;)

Get some tight "bike shorts" style underwear. Walmart sells store brand for about $10. Also, use a "Body Glide" style friction bar (Gold Bond just came out with its own version) or diaper rash cream (similar). Don't hike without it!

JJJ
05-29-2012, 19:16
A kilt will solve a lot of this.
But even in a kilt, I usually lube up.

barf_jay
05-29-2012, 19:26
Thanks for all the good info! It was positively jock itch, treatment at home is working well. I have been wearing under armour 'bike shorts' underwear, but I will keep hygiene number 1 on my next set of hikes. Using the bike shorts has eliminated my chafing problem, but now gave me a new one...LOL!

RedBeerd
05-29-2012, 19:46
Theres an ongoing joke at work about jock itch. It happens, especially working in a hot sticky warehouse all summer. Since i gave up boxers entirely (especially hiking), religiously use bodyglide anti-chafe (cmon baby powder seems to feel good AFTER a chafe, not to prevent) and make sure to always wash the package I havent had any jock itch. Lotrimin ultra aint cheap.

Praha4
05-29-2012, 20:32
use Boudreaux's Butt Paste. U can buy it in 1 oz tubes at Target and some online vendors.

Gold Bond powder also helps. Wash the area and dry the sensitive areas at night. I've also had to resort to hydrocortisone cream at times once inflammation set in.

Malto
05-29-2012, 20:40
What works for me....
1) take a couple of wipes and clean at the first sign of any discomfort.
2) boxer briefs. I found them to be much more effective than netting in shorts. On my thru hike I removed the netting and wore my running shorts with the boxer briefs.
3) I love powder. I mix unmedicated, medicated and anti fungal together to get what I think is the best bang for the buck. I use this powder not only in the groin areas but also on my feet. I had the best smelling feet on the PCT last year. I like powder better than creams or sticks because it wouldn't attract dirt and dust.

Try out many of the ideas given. You will find a combination that works for you.

coach lou
05-29-2012, 20:58
What works for me....
2) boxer briefs. I found them to be much more effective than netting in shorts. On my thru hike I removed the netting and wore my running shorts with the boxer briefs.
3) I love powder. I mix unmedicated, medicated and anti fungal together to get what I think is the best bang for the buck. I use this powder not only in the groin areas but also on my feet. I had the best smelling feet on the PCT last year. I like powder better than creams or sticks because it wouldn't attract dirt and dust.
Try out many of the ideas given. You will find a combination that works for you.

I do the same thing with powder....talc w/lavender, Gold Bond medicated, and desenex....works awesome.

Hoop
05-29-2012, 21:11
Another note to self - don't loan chapstick to Rainman...
Note to self:

Don't ask to borrow Rainman's chapstick.;)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Rain Manhttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1293571#post1293571)

FireInMyBones
05-29-2012, 21:23
I'm dealing with a similar issue after a section hike this past weekend. The hydropel helped but I'm still a bit itchy right where I was rubbed wrong.

msupple
05-29-2012, 21:36
What works for me....

Same here with great success. I'm a huge proponent of Exoficio Boxers...pricey but worth every penny.

Rain Man
05-30-2012, 07:35
Another note to self - don't loan chapstick to Rain Man...

Note to self: Don't ask to borrow Rain Man's chapstick.;)

I swear ... the fastidiousness of some AT hikers is simply shocking. SHOCKING, I say!!! :D

Rain Man
05-30-2012, 07:40
use Boudreaux's Butt Paste. U can buy it in 1 oz tubes at Target and some online vendors.

Thanks for that info. I like BBP, but had not found it in small tubes.

I did find Aquaphor in a two-pack of .35 oz tubes at Kroger's or Walgreen's or some such. Similar stuff (both for diaper rash).

And not, I'm not loaning mine to Hooch or Chif, no matter how bow-legged they might be walking and begging!!! :D

brew
06-09-2012, 21:22
Same here with great success. I'm a huge proponent of Exoficio Boxers...pricey but worth every penny.

The Ex Oficio boxers are good.

Bag Balm (in a green canister, originally meant to be used on cow udders, can buy it at Wal Greens or CVS) works well for chaffing and Lamasil AT works well for me with jock itch. Good luck with all of it.

russb
06-09-2012, 22:31
One must find the preventitive measures which work dor themselves. But when disaster hits..... Udder Butter gets one back in the game fast. Yeah it is for cows but when the boys are raw, I use what works.

rocketsocks
06-09-2012, 23:28
The phrase that says "An ounce of prevention,is worth a pound of cure" seems to fit here nicely.Keep the affected area clean,before things get out of hand,cause once things start to glow red,playing catch-up is almost futile,and it hurts like.....!

Hairbear
06-10-2012, 09:57
search jewel weed its growing all around you it is a natural cure for poison ivy, athletes foot,jock itch.use the stem part .grind this between your hands. the high moisture content will become obvious,coat offending area with this juice.I used to suffer from poison ivy now that ive been shown jewel weed i no longer have any problem. works best if you carry a couple of stems on your pack as soon as you feel that oh crap i got into poison again feeling rub the jewel weed on liberally you will not be nagged again by it.Rubbed it on my wife one day nagging continued cant win them all i guess

CrumbSnatcher
06-10-2012, 10:35
Note to self:

Don't ask to borrow Rainman's chapstick.;)or share GORP with people;)

Blackbeard30
06-10-2012, 16:46
Baby powder and compression shorts under trekking shorts.