PDA

View Full Version : Energy drinks

Mrs Baggins
05-31-2012, 07:16
Has anyone tried something like the 5 Hour Energy drink when facing a particularly grueling section of trail? I've never tried any of them for any reason, but I am curious if they'd help get me past that "dead tired to the bone" feeling going up a steep hill for miles and miles. I do use GuGels, when I remember to bring them, and they do help a little bit. Just wondering.

markc7
05-31-2012, 08:09
Never while hiking, but I have used energy drinks during ultramarathons for the same purpose. I suspect most of the effect is psychological, but they can provide a bit of a boost.

The big drawback is that they inevitably come with a crash, regardless of what the marketing on the package says. The only way to stave that off is to keep consuming large amounts of caffeine, which isn't very wise or practical.

coach lou
05-31-2012, 08:10
Has anyone tried something like the 5 Hour Energy drink when facing a particularly grueling section of trail? I've never tried any of them for any reason, but I am curious if they'd help get me past that "dead tired to the bone" feeling going up a steep hill for miles and miles. I do use GuGels, when I remember to bring them, and they do help a little bit. Just wondering.

Mrs. B...I'm not sure what could possibly be in those little bottles, giving one all that energy. Long day, low on fluids and heart beating pretty good, I'd be leary about putting any enhancers in me.

Mrs Baggins
05-31-2012, 08:29
Mrs. B...I'm not sure what could possibly be in those little bottles, giving one all that energy. Long day, low on fluids and heart beating pretty good, I'd be leary about putting any enhancers in me.

Oh, I agree. I just wanted to find out if anyone had tried them and what the results were. I'll stick with the GuGels for now.

flemdawg1
05-31-2012, 08:29
I've used them once or twice. More to overcome a sleepless night than a long climb. One morning I climbed from Hughes Gap to Roan on 4 hours sleep the night before, dead tired I had a 5-hr energy shot and was good to go to the next shelter.

Velvet Gooch
05-31-2012, 08:59
Naw. Wholesome foods and water. Your ancestors got you here without energy shots and carbohydrate gels

jos2thehua
05-31-2012, 09:17
I totally agree with Velvet Gooch's post! However, if you do want a modern day advantage I'd recommend something a little more natural like coffee. You can get the instant packs and I think Starbucks even makes an iced version which can be mixed into your water bottles. The GUshots you talk of should also work just fine and the ones with caffeine in them could be an added bonus. How about taking a Vitamin B complex too? That's basically what a 5-Hour energy is: a cup of coffee with a mega dose of B vitamins.

10-K
05-31-2012, 09:18
A box of no-doz is a lot cheaper and probably safer too.

RedBeerd
05-31-2012, 09:24
Ive tried the 5 hour energy a few times, but only once while hiking. It didnt seem to do very much while hiking. I was fatigued just the same. In every day life though it seems to prevent further sleepiness. It doesnt give me any surge or energy. I think its sad how some people need to rely on these concentrated doses of caffeine!

Saprogenic
05-31-2012, 10:32
Energy drinks always make me crash too. One minute I'm shaking, the next, I can barely keep my eyes open. I was thinking of bringing some protein powder. Mix some up in your water, it'll give your muscles some fuel, instead of jittery caffiene. Anyone else every try that?

max patch
05-31-2012, 10:41
"Energy" comes from calories.

5 hour energy drinks contain 4 calories.

If you need that kind of "energy" -- I don't -- then I agree with the comment above re NoDoz.

Bloomer
05-31-2012, 12:39
I have been using 'Eco Drink' Daily Multivitamin Advantage. A healthy and convenient way to get your recommended daily allowance of essential vitamin and minerals. A refreshing delicious thirst quencher and excellent nutrient delivery system. No sugar or calories!

Mrs Baggins
05-31-2012, 12:49
Thanks for the responses. :) I won't be using any of that "energy" drinks. I was just curious about them. The Gu Gels work fine for me (and I love the Espresso Love and Chocolate flavors). I did find, on our last hike of 9 miles that involved a very long steep 4 mile climb at the end, that NOT sitting down to eat one big lunch but instead stopping now and then to eat one item from it, worked way way better in terms of energy. Having a stomach full of food in the heat of the day just made me even more dragged down and sleepy. This last time we stopped about every couple of miles thru out the hike to eat something. On the last 4 miles I ate a big fresh orange and a little later a cup of diced peaches. I felt so much better doing it that way.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-31-2012, 19:57
A box of no-doz is a lot cheaper and probably safer too.
I usually pack a few caffeine pills.
Some good food and a half a pill are a good energy boost.
The aftertaste of those energy shots are pretty bad.

I like small snacks throughout the day too. Most of the time I just keep hiking slowly while I eat.

SCRUB HIKER
05-31-2012, 20:09
A Big Colossal bar, an 8oz Red Bull and a couple of Marlboro Lights was a trail breakfast that I saw a few times last year. Seemed to work out fine for the people who tried it (note: they were all under 30).

Hiker Dave
05-31-2012, 20:12
Hammer nutrition makes excellent products for sports like biking and running. I use their HEED and gel for my enduro races and have seen a dramatic improvement in my performance and not laying under the truck for an hour after a race!!!! Their stuff is all natural and has no freaky crash type stuff going on. I plan to take several of their Recoverite packets for the first couple days to help with muscle fatigue and general soreness and it works great. You can google their name to get to the website or hit your local bike shops to find their products.

Ladytrekker
05-31-2012, 21:45
I use Hammer Nutrition Fizz they are tablets http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/endurolytes-fizz.elf.html?navcat=fuels-energy-drinks I just drop in my water bottle it refreshes me and they are light and easy to carry about the size of a quarter. I have used 5 hour energy during an adventure race though.

Papa D
05-31-2012, 22:02
I use coffee - - nothing better

seriously - I do but I also use these mixes with powdered milk:

www.spiru-tein.com/

Odd Man Out
05-31-2012, 22:04
I'm partial to one particular Energy Shot. It's loaded with complex carbs, protein, fiber, unsaturated essential fats, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and antioxidants.
It's called oatmeal with dried fruit, nuts, milk, butter, maple syrup and cinnamon.

kayak karl
05-31-2012, 22:37
in the winter i would mix,
2 scoops instant coffee
instant milk
powered chocolate mix
12 oz water for drink.

with the PB bagel and cold oatmeal w/raisins it would get me to 10am.

Bronk
06-01-2012, 00:43
I've used 5 hour energy to stay awake. I don't like nodoz because large amounts of caffeine make me jittery--and still tired...which in my mind is more annoying than just being tired. The energy drinks that contain the B vitamins and taurine (an amino acid) will make me go from barely being able to keep my eyes open to wide awake in less than a minute with no other side effects. I feel refreshed like I just slept for 8 hours. The 5 hour energy will last me a little over 4 hours...something like Rock Star or Red Bull tends to last 45 minutes to an hour, and you come down off those pretty hard and fast, probably because you are getting a shot of sugar and caffeine in those. I come down off the 5 hour energy pretty gradually.

One time I took a 5 hour energy and when it started to wear off I follwed it up with a Rock Star and that was a big mistake...I thought my heart was going to explode and I did become very jittery. So I would caution people not to mix them or to exceed what the labels recommend...I believe the 5 hour energy says no more than 2 of them in a 24 hour period.

Having said all of the above, I don't think these drinks are designed for "energy" in the sense of athletic ability, but rather simply staying awake. As others have said, "energy" in the althletic sense is going to have to come from *energy* and there are only 4 calories in the 5 hour energy.

leaftye
06-01-2012, 05:56
The only reason I've ever wanted stimulants while on the trail is to move my bowel movement to the afternoon when it's nice and warm.

flemdawg1
06-01-2012, 08:02
Tmi...............

Pedaling Fool
06-01-2012, 08:31
I've tried various "energy" drinks, although never tried 5 hour, but judging by everything else I've tried I'd say it's a waste of money. Coffee is the ultimate energy drink. They say tea has more caffine, but never had the same results with various teas.

Although, I'm currently reading a history book: History of Jacksonville Florida and vicinity (1513 - 1924) and the author talks about a highly caffeinated tea the Timucua Indians consumed, from the sound of it, it seems like a very high-energy drink:D BTW, only males in good status with the tribe could consume it.

WingedMonkey
06-01-2012, 10:35
Although, I'm currently reading a history book: History of Jacksonville Florida and vicinity (1513 - 1924) and the author talks about a highly caffeinated tea the Timucua Indians consumed, from the sound of it, it seems like a very high-energy drink:D BTW, only males in good status with the tribe could consume it.

Black Drink was made from Yaupon Holly. Ilex vomitoria is the Latin name. Does that tell you something?

:sun

fiddlehead
06-01-2012, 11:48
Need energy? At the end of the day?
That's what Snickers Bars are for, aren't they?

I've been with a guy who was tired and drank 3 cups of coffee to get up and over Mt. Washington on a tough day.
Cooked them up in the dungeon. I thought he was a little nuts at the time, but he beat me to the top.