PDA

View Full Version : Are individual members being hacked?

Nutbrown
05-31-2012, 08:35
I've noticed over the past few days that some members are 'posting' the same response on multiple threads. Are we at risk of being hacked? ...I guess I mean this question for a moderator/administrator, but thought it would be nice for everyone to get an answer.

Tennessee Viking
05-31-2012, 09:02
It has been reported.

Cookerhiker
05-31-2012, 09:30
There's also been more spammers opening accounts, usually in the middle of the night from Asia.

hiker33
05-31-2012, 10:11
My WB new messages RSS feed today has about 50 spam messages advertizing DVD's. Looks like somebody got in.:mad:

I've noticed over the past few days that some members are 'posting' the same response on multiple threads. Are we at risk of being hacked? ...I guess I mean this question for a moderator/administrator, but thought it would be nice for everyone to get an answer.

Rain Man
05-31-2012, 13:58
Usually, these spammers are noticed by active WBers, who immediately report at least one of the posts/threads, then the Moderators jump right on it. The powers that be on WB do a great job of kicking spammers off.

Rain Man

rocketsocks
05-31-2012, 14:02
Usually, these spammers are noticed by active WBers, who immediately report at least one of the posts/threads, then the Moderators jump right on it. The powers that be on WB do a great job of kicking spammers off.

Rain Man

.I agree,each time I report spam,poof,gone,easy like that!

atmilkman
05-31-2012, 14:04

Rain Man

Yes the Moderators do a fantastic job. I reported it late last night as soon as it started. I see the posts have quit, but it is still on the who's online list. I'm sure they're working on it as we speak. (post)

rocketsocks
05-31-2012, 14:19
Rather than start a new Thread,and have it get gone,I'll say this here.In an attempt to push all that Spam along,I bumped,rather that click-on/or open( it my limited terminology & understanding of the difference )Relizing now this does no good but to push the spam under the carpet.I would be glad in the future to open each and every piece and report,if that is what the moderators recomend.Sorry for the ............. and I'm confident that this whole temporary condition is just that,Temporary.

scree
05-31-2012, 14:47
It's most likely a database vulnerability or vbulletin exploit on this site that's being hit. It's possible to steal, bypass, or change user passwords under certain conditions. In this case, if users are still able to post but their accounts are also being used for spam, it's most likely one of the first two. Hopefully users set different passwords for their email accounts and forum accounts, or both could be compromised through password stealing. I work in the field and, if I had time and authorization, could probably help assess and prevent the situation. Common stuff, and there are known and easily exploitable vulnerabilities in the version of vbulletin that this site appears to be running.