PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of through hiking SNP 1st week in July

Pumba
05-31-2012, 10:14
I have the opportunity, I think, to get 8 days off from work starting July 1st. I'm thinking of through hiking the AT in SNP. I was wondering a few things and was hoping for some opinions.

1. Which would be preferred if you have a choice and why: NOBO or SOBO?
2. I've read here that resupply is not too much of an issue because of the camp stores. What types of products do these stores sell, and are they really good for resupply? I plan to take full advantage of the three restaurants on site for at least three meals, but that leaves a lot of meals still to deal with.

Any encouragement or feedback would be appreciated. I hiked a very small portion (a few miles) this past weekend while hiking other trails, and the trail seemed quite mild. Is it a difficult trail to hike? I've been out of the game for a while, except for a few recent short hikes (15 miles tops). Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Thanks!

Cookerhiker
05-31-2012, 10:42
Personally, I'm neutral on northbound vs. southbound.

The stores at Loft Mountain and Big Meadows have enough groceries to meet most hikers' resupply needs.

Re meals, there are 4 locations:

Loft Mountain Wayside - off the trail down on Skyline Drive
Big Meadows - either the wayside or the restaurant at the lodge
Skyland - restaurant at the lodge
Elk Wallow - wayside

RED-DOG
05-31-2012, 12:11
Yeap Cookerhiker pretty much sumed it up, the A.T in S.N.P is varily mild not alot of PUDS. RED-DOG

shelb
05-31-2012, 19:44
You can definitely resupply at the park stores. It won't be gourmet food, but expect to find ramen, jerky, granola, and Yuengling (cheaper than water!). Make sure and have lunch or dinner at Big Meadows, breakfast at Skyland, and blackberry shakes at ElkWallow!

Mrs Baggins
05-31-2012, 19:58
You can get nice big blackberry ice creams (cup or cone) at Big Meadows Wayside. Then sit out on the lawns in front and enjoy.

Studlintsean
05-31-2012, 20:24
I did a small part in SNP last month and saw lots of wildlife ( bear , deer, owl , etc)

Pumba
06-01-2012, 14:23
I just found out from work that I CAN get this time off, so I'll be heading up to SNP on 7/1. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go NOBO or SOBO. I'm leaning toward NOBO. My wife is planning on picking me up at whatever end I'm at and shuttling me back to my car. I'm so excited!

Cookerhiker
06-01-2012, 14:29
It might make more sense to hike NOBO so that when your wife meets you at the end of the hike, you're on the way home as you drive back to your car. If you hike SOBO, she has to drive you 100 miles back north to get your car.

Pumba
06-01-2012, 16:23
Very good point!

canoe
06-01-2012, 17:25
My wife and I are planning on hiking the SNP starting July 8th starting from waynesboro. Have a good hike P

Pedaling Fool
06-01-2012, 17:30
It might make more sense to hike NOBO so that when your wife meets you at the end of the hike, you're on the way home as you drive back to your car. If you hike SOBO, she has to drive you 100 miles back north to get your car.
Plus you can walk right into one of the pubs in Harpers Ferry and get a Guinness Stout, whereas in Rockfish Gap there's nothing.

Cookerhiker
06-01-2012, 17:56
Plus you can walk right into one of the pubs in Harpers Ferry and get a Guinness Stout, whereas in Rockfish Gap there's nothing.

Front Royal is much closer and there are a few cool-looking restaurants & pubs in the historic downtown. a fact I only discovered a few months ago despite 30+ years of hiking in SNP.

Pumba
06-01-2012, 20:57
Can anyone tell me if there is parking available along Route 522 where the AT crosses it? If I technically want to hike the length of the park, I'd want to hike to this point, rather than to the last/first parking area along Skyline drive at the Front Royal end.

johnnybgood
06-02-2012, 00:59
Can anyone tell me if there is parking available along Route 522 where the AT crosses it? If I technically want to hike the length of the park, I'd want to hike to this point, rather than to the last/first parking area along Skyline drive at the Front Royal end.

With recent vandelism problems at Rt.522,parking there overnight is not advisable. A better option would be to leave your car at the 4-H center near Front Royal. This is just north of the SNP boundry so technically you will enter through the parks northern end.

Go to their website and download a parking waiver form, fill it out and send it back. Scroll down under " more information" and click on AT hikers.
www.nova4h.com/ (http://www.nova4h.com/)

Furlough
06-02-2012, 10:20
deleted input as I was unable to attach parking document.

Pedaling Fool
06-02-2012, 11:48
Front Royal is much closer and there are a few cool-looking restaurants & pubs in the historic downtown. a fact I only discovered a few months ago despite 30+ years of hiking in SNP.
Oh Crap, I didn't even think of that. Everytime I thru hike SNP I always include Harpers Ferry, it's just automatic, I simply just cross US 522 everytime. Although, in 2008 I did visit Front Royal for the first and only time and it is a nice town with good service.

Pumba
06-02-2012, 12:07
How much further is it to Harpers Ferry? It looks to be quite a distance.

Thanks for the tip on the parking. Where would you then access the AT?

johnnybgood
06-02-2012, 13:29
How much further is it to Harpers Ferry? It looks to be quite a distance.
It's about 54 miles, I believe.
Thanks for the tip on the parking. Where would you then access the AT?
Park your car in the lot across from the pool. To get to the AT it's a short walk downhill , turn left and the access trail is next to a shelter (across the street from the pond and street lighting). The trail intersects with the AT in well under a mile.

Pumba
06-02-2012, 13:34
Cool. Thank you. I has the dumb today. I was asking because that's where my wife will pick me up, not where I will be parking. I've decided to park at Rock Fish and hike nobo. Would the 4-H lot still be a good access point for her to sit and wait (or for me to sit and wait) or is 522 ok for that? Just trying to find the best place to meet up with her, and neither of us are familiar with that area.

johnnybgood
06-02-2012, 13:56
Not being familiar with the area, then Rt.522 would be better. The parking there is basically a pull off dirt lot but the AT crosses right there.

Cookerhiker
06-02-2012, 17:44
How much further is it to Harpers Ferry? It looks to be quite a distance...

50 trail miles, I'd say at least 35, probably 40 road miles in the wrong direction vis-a-vis your return trip to your car and home. However, it would be a nice place for your wife to play tourist before you arrive at 522,

Pumba
06-05-2012, 12:48
So, it turns out that I won't be doing this hike after all. I don't have as much vacation time as I thought I did at work, so I'll have to take a shorter trip. I'm thinking of heading out toward Mount Rogers with my daughter for 4 days or so. Look for another thread soon regarding that. :)

I appreciate all of the advice and information. Hopefully I can commit to a week next year.

Cookerhiker
06-05-2012, 15:09
Bummer! Hope your hike at Mt. Rogers goes well.

canoe
06-05-2012, 15:18
Sorry to hear the bad news.

johnnybgood
06-05-2012, 18:41
Too bad. I'll be hiking a section in SNP that week with friends.

Blissful
06-06-2012, 07:42
Long or short its all good.