PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst ?

Whack-a-mole
05-31-2012, 11:31
I am looking hard at a ULA Catalyst. It has many of the features that I am looking for, but I am pretty old school, so I am having to change some of my thinking. I am working hard to get my pack weight down, but bottom line is that I am a big guy. All my sbags and pads are long, my clothes are 2xl etc. 2x fleece jackets take space! So I need a bag with a little capacity. I'm looking for advice on buying this pack. I am currently using an Osprey Aether 70, and while it has a great suspension, the hydration system stinks. I hate bladders for their inconvenience of having to take your pack apart at a water hole to tank up. What a PIA. Please don't turn this into an I can get my base down to 2.3lb argument, because I can't, but I need something different than the Osprey, and I need a little advice.

Buffalo Skipper
05-31-2012, 11:50
I used to have an Aether 70. Well not really true. I used to use an Aether 70. I still own it.;)

I switched to a ULA Circuit, which is plenty big for me. The ULA is everything the Aether was not: comfortable, light, simple, comfortable....
I found that going lighterweight, I needed less space, and the Circuit was just the ticket, and I still have some extra room.

When I started with the Aether, I had just over a 45 lb total pack weight including 3 days food and water (winter setup). With the Circuit, the equivalent 3 day winter weight is right at 18 lbs (again with food and water).

I have no experience with the Catalyst, but I would be confident it is as well made and comfortable as the Circuit. Others here have posted that the Catalyst was too large and they ended up downsizing. Only you can determine if the Catalyst is the correct size for you. Good luck!

Whack-a-mole
05-31-2012, 11:57
I should have also added that I'm looking at the Golite Quest, so any info on that will be greatly appreciated. Buffalo Skipper, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Good info.

Buffalo Skipper
05-31-2012, 12:13
OK. At the beginning of the year, we purchased a Quest for the scout troop as a loaner. It is, again, as bulletproof as the ULA or the Osprey (they are heavy but very well made--I still use a Stratos for a day pack). But I have not hiked with this. I do not believe it would be quite as comfortable as the ULA. Just my opinion. Hope that helps.

Blissful
05-31-2012, 12:29
After a critter ate a hole in the tubing to my platypus system, I use bottles now and have never looked back.

Bloomer
05-31-2012, 12:32
I am a recent converter over from Gregory packs to ULA. I bought a Catalyst an a CDT for my seasonal hiking needs. The Catalyst is a very well build pack that has lots of padding, both back and hip, that I have grown used to using Gregory Baltaro packs. The volume of the Catalyst can handel all my gear for winter backpacking. I too am a big man and use long sleeping bag/pad sytems. The side pockets are very deep and I use one for tent storage. Also, the side compression are great for helping to keep my tent secure. The inside hydration sleeve is something I do not use. The front hip pockets are large and hold my camera, phone and snackes with room to spare. Any problems with this bag and ULA will fix with out complaints.

Josh Calhoun
05-31-2012, 12:42
i have put about 200 miles on my ULA catalyst so far. And i could not be happier with it. i am like you. not a fan of bladders. the side pockets are big enough to hold a 32oz gatoraid and a 24 oz bottle very comfy. there was allot of thought that went into designing the pack. from the large mesh pocket and the adjustable bungie cord for drying your clothes/gear while you walk. I also will not have a pack unless it has hip belt pockets for easy access to you camera/snacks/pistol/phone. my pack can be fully loaded with winter gear and still have room to spare. Also chris at ULA is a nice guy and easy to work with if there was ever a problem. i also like the fact that all of the packs are made out of his garauge. NOC has some on display if you ever get back up there. hope this helps wackamole!

Whack-a-mole
05-31-2012, 13:08
I didn't know that NOC had them or I might have just brought one home! Thanks for the help everyone. If anyone else has advice feel free to join in.

Buffalo Skipper
05-31-2012, 13:33
Look here, and click on retailers:
http://ula-equipment.com/community.asp

There may be other outfitters closer to you than NOC.

Hoop
05-31-2012, 14:32
I also had an Aether 70 and switched to the Catalyst. If you're going to reduce what you pack more than just a little bit from what you stuff in the Aether, don't ignore the Circuit. In non-cold weather the Catalyst is way roomy.

Sarcasm the elf
05-31-2012, 14:51
Is your main complaint that the hydration system is buried in the pack? I also hated emptying my pack just to refill my water and solved it by not using the hydration sleeve and instead putting the water bladder into my pack last so that it sits on top of everything else. I makes the bladder immediately accessible and lets me easily check how much water I have left.As for ULA I have a Circut and love the pack, I looked at the catalyst also and it seemed to just as good.

flemdawg1
05-31-2012, 15:38
I am currently using an Osprey Aether 70, and while it has a great suspension, the hydration system stinks. I hate bladders for their inconvenience of having to take your pack apart at a water hole to tank up. What a PIA.

Ever tried using the side pocket for your bladder? Thats what I do.

skinewmexico
05-31-2012, 17:36
My Catalyst is way too big to use most of the time (use the Circuit instead), but it's very comfortable. Made in the USA which means a lot to me.

Flounder940
05-31-2012, 19:24
I bought a Catalyst at Neels Gap as I was hiking through back in February. Great pack, very comfortable.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-31-2012, 19:49
My Catalyst is way too big to use most of the time (use the Circuit instead), but it's very comfortable. Made in the USA which means a lot to me.

It's a great pack. More capacity than I need most of the time but it carries well.
I use it in winter when I have bulkier items or a lot of food.

Del Q
05-31-2012, 20:46
I am a rather big guy as well, about 230lbs + pack = a LOT of weight on every step

Have gotten total pack weight with food water to about 30lbs..........some of the gains have been by purchasing lighter gear. This is my hobby, this is what I save for.

ULA - have a Catalyst, great pack, good gear. At 30lb total pack weight I think that there are lighter packs, maybe ULA, maybe others???

Ladytrekker
05-31-2012, 21:38
I had a Osprey Ariel 65 and to lighten up I bought a ULA Circuit and love it sold the Osprey. It keeps me accountable I can't overfill it.

Adfischer
05-31-2012, 23:23
+1 on the Catalyst. It also has some nifty adjustable shock cord on the shoulder straps to put water bottles. I stick two 1L bottles in each one - puts a little weight towards the front and makes them easily accessible. Also opens up the side pouches for other items. Definitely a well thought out pack.

leaftye
06-01-2012, 06:02
I'm XXL too. A Catalyst works fine for me. The main thing is getting clothing and sleeping gear that packs down well. One word: down.

Adfischer
06-01-2012, 09:13
The mesh pocket on the Catalyst is also huge so you can fit a ton of easily accessible stuff on the outside. You also have the shock cords around the back that you can stick clothes on to dry, rain gear, etc in. There is also a large top strap that you can use to hold a sleeping pad or other bulky (preferably lightweight) item on top of the pack. You wont be dissapointed. If it wont fit in this bag, you probably dont need to be carrying it.

Whack-a-mole
06-01-2012, 11:54
Thanks for all the info guys. It looks like I will try one of these out. I heard so much positive stuff and no negative comments. Thanks again.