PDA

View Full Version : In need of some help here.

Veetack
05-31-2012, 18:02
So I took what I would call a nearo today (10 miles), and I'm in a hotel in Helen, Ga icing my knee. In order to make Fontana by next Thursday, like I had planned, I needed to be at Tray Mtn shelter tonight. My plan for tomorrow was Plumorchard Gap shelter, but it's looking as if Dick's Creek Gap is my only viable option in distance as Plumorchard is 21 miles and I won't be back on trail in time I don't think. I noticed there's a campsite just after that that I can probably reach (tomorrow is gonna be a looooooooong day), but I'm trying to do the math on what I need to do to get back on schedule. As it stands, I'm only 6 miles behind. I was 5 yesterday, then I powered through Neel's and got back on schedule. Any advice helps.

Lone Wolf
05-31-2012, 18:05
plans and schedules rarely work out. just walk til next thursday and get off wherever that may be

Veetack
05-31-2012, 18:09
plans and schedules rarely work out. just walk til next thursday and get off wherever that may be

I was honestly thinking of that. I'd just really hate to not make Fontana. In a way I'll almost feel as if I failed. I think I may have it figured out though.

LW, you came up in shelter conversation the other night, BTW. Nothing major, just a couple of old timers asked if I ran into you at Trail Days.

Bronk
06-01-2012, 01:22
If you're already icing your knee now I'd seriously reconsider trying to make it to Fontana Dam. The descent into Fontana is steep and very rocky and is murder on your knees. By the time I got to the bottom it hurt every time I took a step down...and I didn't have any injuries. Its just really rough on your body, especially carrying a pack.

Veetack
06-01-2012, 10:06
If you're already icing your knee now I'd seriously reconsider trying to make it to Fontana Dam. The descent into Fontana is steep and very rocky and is murder on your knees. By the time I got to the bottom it hurt every time I took a step down...and I didn't have any injuries. Its just really rough on your body, especially carrying a pack.
I'm just going where I can go, I think that's the best plan of action for now. Where I end up is flexible, I just think Fontana would be an amazing end to an awesome hike.

Whack-a-mole
06-01-2012, 16:51
Maybe just cut it a little short and end at NOC. Sit in the river and let it ice your knee. Eat a BBQ sandwich on the deck at Joe's. Be careful at Tellico Gap. It is not really hard, just a long way down and back up, and my knees were talking to me after that section. If you did 10 miles and call it a nearo, be careful, as you are getting close to my pace and I'm a fat old man....