PDA

View Full Version : Best way to fly with my pack

fenderbenderfc
05-31-2012, 19:07
I leave June 5th and trying to figure out the best way to fly with my pack. I don't want my knife, nail clippers, or trekking poles stolen by TSA so I would rather just check everything. I don't want my bag roughed up. So I figure the best way to do this is to carefully pack it in a cardboard box I can pitch when I get to Bangor?

perrymk
05-31-2012, 19:14
Just a suggestion. Whatever you do, if you are going to leave a suitcase or box in the airport (trash or recycle bin or whatever), first let security or baggage claim know. Maybe just leave it with baggage claim. Homeland Security is real touchy about boxes and suitcases left unattended.

ATMountainTime
05-31-2012, 19:34
I used a army duffel bag, put my back in it.

You can always ship you pack to Bangor as well via Fed Ex or UPS

I wouldn't trust the TSA with a bag of rice krispies!!:banana

Don H
05-31-2012, 19:42
I don't want my bag roughed up.

Bet your bag will get roughed up before you get out of Maine :)

I put mine in a duffle bag. I had a USPS Priority Mail box packed to ship the duffle home in and my shuttler ship it home.

fenderbenderfc
05-31-2012, 19:56

I put mine in a duffle bag. I had a USPS Priority Mail box packed to ship the duffle home in and my shuttler ship it home.
That is fine. I will rough my bag up all I want.

Monkeywrench
05-31-2012, 20:42

That's what I do too. I consider it cheap insurance to keep the pack from getting ripped up by all the baggage handling equipment, and to keep everything together.

Papa D
05-31-2012, 21:55
You will need something like this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-66AcTo9TU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-66AcTo9TU)

sorry - just couldn't resist:p -- if you can watch this without a big f#&*ing smile on your face, there is something wrong with you

coach lou
05-31-2012, 22:09
I wouldn't trust the TSA with a bag of rice krispies!!:banana

I have a large travel tube, heavy duty, carries 5 fly rods. I put 3 in it a few years ago. I guess the TSA agent looking at the x-ray never saw fishing poles before, so of course they had to take them out and jamb them back in. Broken old favorite Orvis and broken Bamboo. The bamboo I discovered broken after a 4 mile walk into the sticks in Idaho. Now look I'm all fired up about TSA.........that is another thread I guess!

lynn523
06-01-2012, 00:49
Good idea to protect it. For what it's worth, my husband and I flew from DC to Alaska with our packs in 2010 and just tied up all the loose straps and let them go thru without any protection. They made it threw 2 flights each way with no problem. Re hiking poles, I just flew from Dallas to DC with poles this week. They made it, but a TSA supervisor had to clear it. I would't chance it with the poles unless you have a friend at the airport who can take them and ship to you if TSA won't let you carry them. Good luck!

chelko
06-01-2012, 08:52
Seven of us flew into Bangor a year ago September. We each packed our packs in large zippered duffle bags. We left the bags with our shuttle driver and when he picked us up to go back to the airport we repacked them and flew home. No problems.

Firefighter503
06-01-2012, 11:24
I am going to try and fly from Dubai, UAE to Shannon, IRE on Tuesday. I had planned on just packing my Black Diamond Z-Poles in my pack and just carrying on, but the more I think about it, the more I am thinking of just throwing my backpack into a Duffle (sp?) Bag, and checking it. The problem then is that I worry about the hoop on my Ohm 2.0.

Odd Man Out
06-01-2012, 12:06
You can fabricate a trekking pole carrier from a piece of PVC drain pipe and put that in the pack or duffel.

lunchbx
06-01-2012, 12:13
anyone have experience with putting your knife in a checked backpack. I'm about to fly from puerto rico back to jersey and have my camping knife witch was shipped over with my backpack using a private company. I was gonna send my knife thru priority mail since i didnt want it stolen by tsa but if i dont have to spend the money mailing it i wont. I just assumed tsa would take it even in a checked bag but some of the posts above suggest it has been done before. I would be very upset if my knife were stolen since its been thru so much with me so i may just mail it anyway but im curious to know if they allow it in a checked bag. It has about a 4inch blade.

Gray Blazer
06-01-2012, 12:25
anyone have experience with putting your knife in a checked backpack. I'm about to fly from puerto rico back to jersey and have my camping knife witch was shipped over with my backpack using a private company. I was gonna send my knife thru priority mail since i didnt want it stolen by tsa but if i dont have to spend the money mailing it i wont. I just assumed tsa would take it even in a checked bag but some of the posts above suggest it has been done before. I would be very upset if my knife were stolen since its been thru so much with me so i may just mail it anyway but im curious to know if they allow it in a checked bag. It has about a 4inch blade.

I, too, had a favorite pocket knife which I forgot to pack before we left Europe for the states. They freaked out when I showed it in England, but, when they figured out it wasn't a switchblade they gave it back to me and ley me board. When I tried to get back on the plane in Bangor, M, they took it away and gave it to the pilot to hold for me. They ended up giving it back to me before we landed which did not make a lot of sense. This was all about 25 years ago before TSA but they were still worried about hijackings.

MkBibble
06-01-2012, 14:17
Have checked my pack (with knife, poles, etc.) several times with no issues. They usually have those giant plastic bags to slip them into. This keeps the straps from getting caught. No fuel of course.

Comet Omega
06-01-2012, 14:50
I take my Pack as a Carry-On with things I wouldn't want to replace if lost like my down bag, down sweater and lighter weight items that will pass through no problem. Don't fill it up too much, so it will fit under seat in front of you if necessary. Then I pack the other items in a throw down suitcase or duffel obtained from Goodwill or Salvation Army.

Don H
06-01-2012, 21:32
That is fine. I will rough my bag up all I want.

No sense of humor?
I did take the time to offer a suggestion.

Del Q
06-02-2012, 12:34
The last two hikes home from Boston and Tri Cities, 2 trash bags, duct tape, tear a spot for pack handle, TSA never opened it.

I don't cook so there was no fuel, fuel tabs, etc.

Will be shipping my pack TO the trail for the 1st time when I fly back to Tri Cities and hike south from Damascus.

Llama Legs
06-02-2012, 14:14
[QUOTE=ATMountainTime;1294442]I used a army duffel bag, put my pack in it.

agree with ATMT. Put your pack in empty with the waist belt curved correctly, shoulder straps (levelers) loosened down, and pack everything in the middle of the duffle.

hobby
06-02-2012, 16:09
I have flown many times from Atlanta to Jackson, Boise, Idaho Falls, Kalispel, etc.. Never a problem in ATL, but the return trip, from the smaller airports are always a problem. I have had empty, washed and rinsed out, metal liquid containers confiscated. They looked like fuel bottles but had contained liquor. Still they has no residual smell even if they were fuel bottles! Bic lighters also from my checked baggage.. The smaller airports in these places are more used to potential problems from hiking stuff, but ATL is never a problem.
Now I pack a prelabled UPS box and ship home the empty fuel bottles, bear spray, etc. at the end of the hike
I do put my pack in a duffel for flying.

swjohnsey
06-02-2012, 16:12
Take everything out of outside pockets. Fasten waist belt and cinch all staps down as tight as they will go. Tie ends of straps together so there are no tails hanging out. Make sure there is nothing illegal in you pack like fuel. Take your poles apart and pack 'em inside pack. If your pack doesn't show up on the carosel look in the oversize area. Packs are tough (or should be) and will take lots of abuse. Make sure you have an ID tag on the outside and also on the inside.

canoe
06-02-2012, 17:19
superman outfit is always the best way to fly with your pack

Feral Nature
06-02-2012, 20:08
No sense of humor?
I did take the time to offer a suggestion.

Maybe Don doesn't have a sense of humor. I thought what fendernender said was kinda funny!

Balls
06-02-2012, 20:23
I carry my pack on the plane and ship my gear that wouldn't pass security in a flat rate priority mail box to the local PO or a motel. I wouldn't trust the airline to handle my gear just before a hike.

coach lou
06-02-2012, 21:30
I carry my pack on the plane and ship my gear that wouldn't pass security in a flat rate priority mail box to the local PO or a motel. I wouldn't trust the airline to handle my gear just before a hike.

I love to fly, just wish I didn't have to use an airline. I can't swim to the Virgin Islands or drive to Montana.

Joker4ink
06-04-2012, 02:46
Ship your pack & gear and call it good. No worry about a plane losing something, you can track it, insure it and don't have to bother carrying it. I shipped my gear to GA (via USPS) and it was cheaper than checking a bag too.

fenderbenderfc
06-04-2012, 02:51
This is correct.

fenderbenderfc
06-04-2012, 02:52
Maybe Don doesn't have a sense of humor. I thought what fendernender said was kinda funny!
This is correct.

JoshL
06-04-2012, 11:35
I just got back from a trip where I put my trekking poles, knife, stove, tent poles, and other things in a suitcase that I checked, and took my pack as my carry-on. My pack is a Gregory Z65 which is pretty large and they gave me no problems taking it as a carry-on. My friends both used duffel bags and just put everything in there and checked it. If you don't have somewhere that you can stash a suitcase or duffel once you arrive, I think the best thing is to ship some of the items that airport security might give you problems for and just take your pack as a carry-on.

Don H
06-04-2012, 16:40
Hahahaha! :)

Turtlebox
06-04-2012, 17:07
Has anyone had issues with putting food in checked baggage?