PDA

View Full Version : New ideas please for snacks and desserts

Different Socks
05-31-2012, 20:48
I am looking for unusual and different ideas I haven't tried or thought of in regards to snacks and or desserts on the trail. They need to have at least a month until the expiration date. Here is what i have eaten before or have thought of: Pop Tarts Granola bars Nutri-grain/fruit bars Pudding Jello Flavored pretzels Cookies Crackers Candy bars of all shapes and sizes and flavors. Fig Bars Various/misc kinds of candy Brownies Cake Cornbread Muffins All different mixes of trail mix. Misc flavors of jerky BTW, I know some of these almost everybody has thought of, but I put them on the list so you know I have as well. Let's hear some ideas please, and I look forward to tasting the ones that sound good.

Different Socks
05-31-2012, 20:53
I am looking for unusual and different ideas I haven't tried or thought of in regards to snacks and or desserts on the trail. They need to have at least a month until the expiration date. Here is what i have eaten before or have thought of: Pop Tarts Granola bars Nutri-grain/fruit bars Pudding Jello Flavored pretzels Cookies Crackers Candy bars of all shapes and sizes and flavors. Fig Bars Various/misc kinds of candy Brownies Cake Cornbread Muffins All different mixes of trail mix. Misc flavors of jerky BTW, I know some of these almost everybody has thought of, but I put them on the list so you know I have as well. Let's hear some ideas please, and I look forward to tasting the ones that sound good.

DAMN!! I apologize, the food list was originally a separate paragraph, as well as the last sentence. When posted, it came up as the above with no commas. Is there some way to make sure it stays separated when i go to post next time?

TATO
05-31-2012, 21:05
I always enjoy some sort of exotic chocolate. My fav so far is Chili pepper dark chocolate

gollwoods
05-31-2012, 21:08
I have enjoyed the heck out of a nice bag of really good carmel corn with either almonds or pecans, sugar and carbs and everything nice

chiefiepoo
05-31-2012, 21:15
Thimble berries and or hucks slighly mashed, crushed oreos, 1 oz amaretto, mix, warm over stove. enjoy.

judypudy
05-31-2012, 21:21
Nutella or especially the 1.5 oz packets of Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter.

jakedatc
05-31-2012, 21:33
Payday bars.. carmel, peanuts.. no melting.

pringles.. insane cal/oz ratio

fig newton fruit crisps.. again good cal/oz and tasty

hostess fruit pies heavy but 1-2 at the beginning or at resupply no biggie.

WIAPilot
05-31-2012, 21:36
I love the Jolly Rancher Fire Stix candies!

Different Socks
05-31-2012, 21:53
I have enjoyed the heck out of a nice bag of really good carmel corn with either almonds or pecans, sugar and carbs and everything nice

Now this is one that is a common store shelf item BUT, I hadn't thought of it! Thanks

Different Socks
05-31-2012, 21:55

Nutella I have thought of, plus thinking of adding crunchy PB to it and dipping in pretzel sticks...yum!!

Different Socks
05-31-2012, 21:56

Justins!! Now that one i had forgotten about....Thanks!

Biggie Master
05-31-2012, 21:57
Fruit cups (diced peaches, mandarin oranges, etc.), they're a little heavy but they go down great! Nutella spread on a tortilla and rolled up -- sometimes I also add peanut butter. Bridge mix candy (chocolate covered nuts and fruits)...

Spokes
05-31-2012, 22:17
I've been known to carry a tub of chocolate cake icing on occasion. It's great to dip pretzel stick in.

4Bears
05-31-2012, 22:21
I like dried fruits, apricots, pinapple, or a mixed bag. Next time I might try something I saw on here the other day, corn meal (palenta), grits or oatmeal with cocao mixed in. I will have to start experimenting, maybe make some no-bake cookies on the trail.

Double Wide
05-31-2012, 22:33
Somebody, on here I think, once mentioned S'mores Gorp, and it was awesome--M&Ms, Golden Grahams, and mini marshmallows. HOWEVER, it's only good for one day, I found this out the hard way.

If you mix it all together in the same bag, the moisture from the marshmallows leeches into the Golden Grahams making them 'stale' and not crunchy after about a day. My solution was to keep one ziploc bag full of the M&Ms and Golden Grahams, and then in another bag, shove as many mini-marshmallows as you can, squash it down to remove some of the air and make it compact, and then keep 'em separated. Not really handy while walking, but certainly a great dessert or a snack when you sit for a rest.

Different Socks
05-31-2012, 22:52
I've been known to carry a tub of chocolate cake icing on occasion. It's great to dip pretzel stick in.

ya know when i did the PCT 1996, I was laughed at by other hikers for carrying a 1 lb can of frosting for my brownies. But within moments after i opened the first one north of Warner Springs, suddenly I had several spoons sticking in my face. i turned at looked at them saying, "Hey , I thought you guys didn't like the fact i had this."

"Well, you're the one carrying the extra weight, not us."

Different Socks
05-31-2012, 22:54
Somebody, on here I think, once mentioned S'mores Gorp, and it was awesome--M&Ms, Golden Grahams, and mini marshmallows. HOWEVER, it's only good for one day, I found this out the hard way.

If you mix it all together in the same bag, the moisture from the marshmallows leeches into the Golden Grahams making them 'stale' and not crunchy after about a day. My solution was to keep one ziploc bag full of the M&Ms and Golden Grahams, and then in another bag, shove as many mini-marshmallows as you can, squash it down to remove some of the air and make it compact, and then keep 'em separated. Not really handy while walking, but certainly a great dessert or a snack when you sit for a rest.

I learned the hard way, if you get a bag of gorp that has any chocolatey sweets mixed in it, don't empty your food box in the sunshine.

Moose2001
05-31-2012, 23:00
A frozen carrot cake out of town. By the time you get to camp, it'll be unfrozen. Talk about good and the greedy hikers that want to share!

Corporal_Dusty
05-31-2012, 23:26
I made these a few weeks ago to see how well I would like them. Omg excellent! For cereal I used Honey Bunches of Oats, but it can be your choice. Same with the fruit selection. I rather enjoyed them. Experiment and find a combination of goodies that suites your taste.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1-1/2 cups peanut butter (regular, creamy, chunky...whatever you like)

5 cups whole grain cereal flakes
6 ounces mixed dried fruit bits

Preparation:
In a saucepan, stir together brown sugar and honey. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, stir until smooth. Next, stir in whole grain cereal flakes; then add the dried fruit bits to the mixture. Spread into greased 12" x 7-1/2" x 2" baking pan. Spread 1/3 cup fruit bits on top and press into mixture. Let cool. Cut into 24 bars and wrap each bar in saran wrap. If desired, refrigerate before the trip.

Different Socks
06-01-2012, 00:19
A frozen carrot cake out of town. By the time you get to camp, it'll be unfrozen. Talk about good and the greedy hikers that want to share!

I've been thinking that when I do the AT again, or any other long trail that for every other(or maybe all) town resupply stops, I will buy a package of brownies, or bakery cookies, or frosted cake. Sure it would be heavy to carry, but that will make it taste all that much better!

daddytwosticks
06-01-2012, 07:17
Fritoes Corn Chips for the two essentials (grease and salt)! :)

Skid.
06-01-2012, 07:32
If you have a Sam's Club in your area, get a bag of 'Back to Nature' Nantucket Blend. A mix of nuts with dried cranberry, cherry, and pistachios, for a really different flavor. Careful, it's addictive.

tiptoe
06-01-2012, 12:44
Homemade rhubarb rollups. Stew the rhubarb, add sugar to taste, spread on dehydrator sheets, dry, and roll up in clear plastic wrap.

fins1838
06-01-2012, 15:16
2 dozen Maryland steamed blue crabs & a 6 pack of Natty Boh. Easy speezshy.

Bookworm2
06-01-2012, 15:33
This sounds excellent! I'll have to make these.

Farr Away
06-01-2012, 17:15
Cashews or almonds
Dark chocolate
Fresh fruit (a piece or 2 anyway)
homemade real fruit rollups (you can do anything when you do it yourself- strawberry rhubarb, blueberry apple)
dehydrated melon slices
baby carrots

Whack-a-mole
06-01-2012, 17:48
No bake jello cheesecake. Take a can of condensed milk and a graham cracker crust. When you get to camp, put the milk and pie ingredients in the creek to get cold. Mix as directed and build a cairn of rocks in the creek. Set the pie on the cairn so that it is in the water to cool, but not so deep that water goes into the pie. After it sets up put the topping on, walk back into the shelter with it and watch the people freak out.

Moose2001
06-01-2012, 17:51
I've been thinking that when I do the AT again, or any other long trail that for every other(or maybe all) town resupply stops, I will buy a package of brownies, or bakery cookies, or frosted cake. Sure it would be heavy to carry, but that will make it taste all that much better!

One of my friends carried a whole apple pie out of NOC. Sprung it on us after dinner! Yumm! I've seen other hikers carry watermelon, ice cream, cakes etc out of town. Very yummy as well. I've made pudding in camp as well. Just need a stream to set your pot in so it can cool and setup. I've seen and tasted the instant cheesecake mixes done the same way.

Maybe not dessert but coming out of Gatlinburg once, I stopped at the KFC right on the edge of town. Bought a 10 piece bucket of chicken and stuffed in two gallon ziploc bags. Broke it open at Icewater Spring and thought I was going to get attacked by other hikers!

Miner
06-02-2012, 16:30
Box of hostess donuts. Hostess Fruit Pies (400+ calories!) Anything made by Little Debbie. Dark Chocolate. Hard candy. Brown sugar mixed with some oil (even olive oil will work) spread on a bread product like a tortilla; tastes suprisingly good on the trail.

MuddyWaters
06-03-2012, 09:25
anything individually wrapped, little debbie snacks, fig bars, etc. meat sticks and cheese combos, snickers, peanut mms, granola (whole foods), trail mix.

Velvet Gooch
06-03-2012, 09:30
Oven roasted chickpeas. Plain or seasoned

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2012, 10:49
16184Poppycock.... Snickers or Heath bars... or Skor.