PDA

View Full Version : Storing food in your tent when you're sleeping?

Suckerfish
06-01-2012, 08:41
I want to know if it is a myth or fact. Would a beer come in your tent for your food if you're in it sleeping? Is the best thing to always hang your food?

Pedaling Fool
06-01-2012, 08:49
I always keep my food in my tent, but I don't leave it unattended. It's a possibility that a bear will come in your tent for the food, but it's very remote, very, very remote. Bears do know you're carrying food they don't bother you then. They know when you're cooking food they don't usually bother you. And they know when you're in your tent with your food and they usually don't bother you and if they do, poke them in the eye.

I don't try and talk anyone into keeping food in one's tent, all I'm saying is that it doesn't concern me in the least and more importantly, contrary to popular belief, all the bear problems down in Georgia now is not from people with food in their tents; the problems are from people hanging food.

leaftye
06-01-2012, 08:50
Would it happen? Probably not. Could it happen? Yes.

Some people don't care if critters come sniffing. I'd rather not wonder what animal is poking around nearby while I sleep, so I store my food far enough away that I won't hear or see anything happening there while I sleep.

chiefiepoo
06-01-2012, 08:53
Would a beer come in your tent for your food if you're in it sleeping

If a beer comes into my tent, it's gonna get drank and that will be the end of that beer.

Kerosene
06-01-2012, 08:57
What John Gault said in Post #2. I typically hang my food bag, however.

coach lou
06-01-2012, 09:05
I hang, not just for bears... mice, racoons, and SKUNKS

Adfischer
06-01-2012, 09:08
Its not bears I am worried about, it is the little rodents chewing a hole in a tent to get to some food. Those guys have an amazing sense of smell and even the best wrapped up food they can get to sometimes.

Raccoon are really bad as well. I have seen them drag pants out of a tent that had some food in the pocket and tear them all up. Not fun to wake up in the morning and your pants be gone!

10-K
06-01-2012, 09:23
My food bag is part of my sleeping system (pillow).

Pedaling Fool
06-01-2012, 09:35
I've never had a rodent or any other type animal chew a hole in my tent... yes I know it's a possibility, but it's also a possibility for them to get at it when hanging. I know at shelters it's near 100% chance they'll get your food if you don't hang it properly, but it's different in a tent (away from the rodent-infested shelters).

Although, I did one time (on a bike trip) have something start digging into my tent (seemed about the size of a raccon) I wacked it with my saw and it never came back:) I also one time had something eat my shoe laces in my vestibule, I now always bring my shoe in my tent also.

I don't worry about damage to my tent -- that's why I carry duct tape:D

Spokes
06-01-2012, 09:37
Maybe we should submit this question to MythBusters?

Lone Wolf
06-01-2012, 09:47
I want to know if it is a myth or fact. Would a beer come in your tent for your food if you're in it sleeping? Is the best thing to always hang your food?

i've never hung my food while in my tent. i always sleep with it. never had a problem with bears or other critters

Slo-go'en
06-01-2012, 10:01
There were reports of several tents being mauled by a bear several weeks ago at the Jenkins Shelter in SW Virginia recently. No sign of the bear when I was there last week - thankfully.

If you happen to camp in a place where a bear has learned to score food, keeping it in your tent is not going to discourage him/her at all.

hikerboy57
06-01-2012, 10:03
unless theres a bear box handy, i sleep with my food, so far undisturbed.

Spirit Walker
06-01-2012, 10:08
It depends on where you are and how habituated the bears are. I've known PCT hikers who had bears steal the food from under their heads or feet, before canisters were required - but those bears were very used to people. In '92 a bear came up to us while we were cooking and tried to scare us away. Another bear got the food from a hiker who was cooking at Outerbridge Shelter in PA. A bear in NH circled our tent for an hour or so, and all we had with us was one candy bar. If you know that bears are an issue in an area, then sleeping with your food is not a good idea.

Connie
06-01-2012, 10:32
I think the bear problem for hanging food is because the food is there. If in you tent, the bears would be there.

I live in grizzly bear country, and grizzly bears can have an attitude.

I wouldn't think I having food or food odors in or around my campsite. I do my food preparation away from the campsite. If I get food odors on my clothing, that clothing isn't in my campsite either. If I only have one set of clothing, I hike out and get to a laundromat. However, I usually have my first layer for sleeping.

I avoid food problems by using one OPSak (http://www.loksak.com/products/opsak) for food and one OPSak for garbage.

I hang the OPSaks.

Odd Man Out
06-01-2012, 10:50

That depends on if it's a Black Beer or a Grizzly Beer :)

16175 16176

RedBeerd
06-01-2012, 10:51
I use OPsak as well (garbage in it) and tie my food bag to a tree like 25 feet away. I used to be scared of bears but now Im realizing they are a myth here in new england..

AAhiker
06-01-2012, 10:56
On hanging food. I'll hang food if there is a rack but not if I have to throw it over a tree. Black bears can climb trees for one, not grizzlies though.Also every rodent out there can climb any kind of rope you string up even if it is 20 feet off the ground. I always have a dog with me though so that probably helps because bears are smart enough to eat the easiest food possible which doesn't include a man and his doberman. Oh yea, I also hammock and even in the Adirondacks I have never been bothered by bears where they now require bear cans which until last year I never owned while hiking the high peaks.

Odd Man Out
06-01-2012, 10:56
Now a more serious follow-up. I know the Hang vs Don't Hang issues comes up frequently. I was wondering (for those in the Don't Hang camp), if it makes a difference if you are using an enclosed tent vs an open tarp? (with either the bears or the microbears)

MkBibble
06-01-2012, 11:00
I hang, not just for bears... mice, racoons, and SKUNKS

... and because, at the end of a long day, trying to get your line over a limb provides MUCH entertainment!

coach lou
06-01-2012, 11:02
... and because, at the end of a long day, trying to get your line over a limb provides MUCH entertainment!

It is hilarious when that stick, rock, cup comes around and smacks you in the teeth!!

RWheeler
06-01-2012, 11:14
I hang my food most of the time on my hike Amicalola to Erwin. I slept with it in my tent on a couple of occasions (Rocky Mountain, a spot north of NOC, and then a spot before Erwin) and felt completely safe doing so.

V Eight
06-01-2012, 12:55
I used to hang my food, but not anymore. I do use the OPsaks.
The first time or 2 i used my food bag as a pillow, I was a bit nervous,
analyzing every sound I heard. Now, I try to eat supper at least an hour or
more before I stop for the night. Now, I get the tent up & crash, no worries!

Could I get mauled, yes, but I have never really been much of a "what if" kind of person.
If you are not doing anything stupid, you should be fine.

Gray Blazer
06-01-2012, 13:01
I had a bear rip my tent and invite himself in while I was sleeping. He almost landed on top of me. My wife yelled for me to do something. I hit him in the nose and he took off and then I went back to sleep. True story. We had never eaten in the tent or even had candy or gum wrappers in the tent. My wife was on her period and that's the only reason we could figure for the bear coming in. The patch we put on the side made for a nice story in case anyone wondered about it.

MkBibble
06-01-2012, 14:03
It is hilarious when that stick, rock, cup comes around and smacks you in the teeth!!

or when you forget to hold the other end and it goes sailing off through the woods...

scree
06-01-2012, 19:32
or when you forget to hold the other end and it goes sailing off through the woods...

... and hits a bear on the ass, who eats it.

ChinMusic
06-01-2012, 21:56
I sleep with my food most of the time on the AT. I try to NEVER leave my food unattended. I def never put my food in my tent and go chat at the shelter. My food comes with me.

Grits
06-01-2012, 22:05
10-K My food bag is part of my sleeping system (pillow). Was that you at the Watauga Lake shelter a few years ago that the bear got your pillow?????:eek: Sometimes I hang my food bad PCT and sometimes I keep it hung from my hammock depending where I am.

Wise Old Owl
06-01-2012, 22:13

Uhh one on the trail should avoid beer unless the trail leads to a bar.

If a beer comes into my tent, it's gonna get drank and that will be the end of that beer.
Once again, very astute.

I've never had a rodent or any other type animal chew a hole in my tent..yes I know it's a possibility, but it's also a possibility for them to get at it when hanging. I know at shelters it's near 100% chance they'll get your food if you don't hang it properly, but it's different in a tent (away from the rodent-infested shelters).

Although, I did one time (on a bike trip) have something start digging into my tent (seemed about the size of a raccon) I wacked it with my saw and it never came back:) I also one time had something eat my shoe laces in my vestibule, I now always bring my shoe in my tent also.

I don't worry about damage to my tent -- that's why I carry duct tape:D

YEA ONE LUKY GUY... GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.:D Whats a raccon?

Mountain Mike
06-01-2012, 23:18
I had one friend have his tent ripped open by a bear. If I see bear signs I'll hang it. Bear problems are caused by improper food storage, that includes bad hanging.

ChinMusic
06-01-2012, 23:25
Bear problems are NOT caused by keeping possession of your food.

Mountain Mike
06-02-2012, 00:07
Bear problems are NOT caused by keeping possession of your food. Bears lean. Have seen an increase of bears going into tents & getting food. Look at Yosemite where bears have learned to break into car. A proper hang takes time but worth it to keep from feeding bears. Of the WB members that got there food stolen around Neel's admit they didn't do a good hang. As long as there are people like that around you should be safe with food in your tent. But when the bears learn how easy it is to take food from tents. I'm going to hate you when I have to carry a container.

Rasty
06-02-2012, 00:18
Bear problems are NOT caused by keeping possession of your food. Bears lean. Have seen an increase of bears going into tents & getting food. Look at Yosemite where bears have learned to break into car. A proper hang takes time but worth it to keep from feeding bears. Of the WB members that got there food stolen around Neel's admit they didn't do a good hang. As long as there are people like that around you should be safe with food in your tent. But when the bears learn how easy it is to take food from tents. I'm going to hate you when I have to carry a container.

I had dog that used to lean against the wall. :D

Big Dawg
06-02-2012, 01:25
I sleep w/ my food. Never a problem.

vamelungeon
06-02-2012, 05:34
If a bear is willing to come into an occupied tent to take your food, why wouldn't that bear take it from you when it's on your back in your pack? If it's dangerous to sleep with your food, it's dangerous to even carry it IMHO.

Slo-go'en
06-02-2012, 10:09
I sleep w/ my food. Never a problem.

Yet....(12345678910)

Trailrunner2
06-02-2012, 11:22
Do you mean that the existance of bears in NE is a myth, or they simply aren't a threat to your dinner? I sleep with my food in NE, but I can assure you that bears exist. I cant keep a bird feeder at my suburban home due to black bears. I have had a bear cross my path on the blue blaze trails 4 times in the past few years. I was running a cliff trail and a baby bear popped up the cliff onto my narrow trail. I stopped 15 feet from the cub. Mama bear then crawled up the cliff, threw the cub up a tree and stood up on her hind legs in what appeared to be a threatening gesture. I yielded the trail to the critters and made pretty good time on the trail home that day. I later researched that black bear attacks are EXTREMELY rare. Researchers have been known to tag the ear of a cub while the mom watched. These are very different from the bear stories we have all heard from the wild west. I wouldnt try to tag the ear of a grizzlly cub, and I'd certainly hang an odor proof bag for my food in grizzly territory.

Slo-go'en
06-02-2012, 15:16
I put my recyclables out at the end of the driveway last night for pick early this morning and a little while later heard a crash of bottles. Went out to check it out and saw a skinny bear cub running down the street and then into woods and up a trail which is 100 yards from my place. Oh yeah, there are bears out in the woods...

leaftye
06-02-2012, 15:57
If a bear is willing to come into an occupied tent to take your food, why wouldn't that bear take it from you when it's on your back in your pack? If it's dangerous to sleep with your food, it's dangerous to even carry it IMHO.

For the same reasons you don't hear stories about rodents chewing holes into packs of moving hikers, but plenty while they're in camp.

imscotty
06-02-2012, 17:43
Could Hammockers comment on what they do with their food? I bring mine in my tent but a hammock seems a little more vulnerable. I am thinking of making the switch to hammocks, but wonder if that means I will need to start hanging my food.

vamelungeon
06-02-2012, 17:51
For the same reasons you don't hear stories about rodents chewing holes into packs of moving hikers, but plenty while they're in camp.

What are those reasons? Well, the rodents might have a hard time doing that while you're moving but a bear wouldn't. Personally, I think bears understand POSSESSION and won't take it whether you're sleeping or not. If a bear will actually come into your tent and take away food that is in your possession that is a very dangerous bear. With all the people who sleep with their food you'd think there would be a rash of bears ripping into occupied tents and taking the food if the naysayers are correct, but there aren't. I say hanging your food attracts bears and teaches them to steal it. It encourages bad behavior, at least the way most people are hanging their food.

leaftye
06-02-2012, 17:57
What are those reasons? Well, the rodents might have a hard time doing that while you're moving but a bear wouldn't. Personally, I think bears understand POSSESSION and won't take it whether you're sleeping or not.

You think bears understand the concept of possession, but don't think they can understand that you're an easy target while sleeping and dangerous while awake? Perhaps you need to spend a few days and nights in a place like Yosemite. Spend the first few days walking around with food, and then spend the last few nights sleeping with your food. Let me know how that works out for you.

hikerboy57
06-02-2012, 18:17
yosemite doesnt happen to be in WV, does it?ive slept with my food for years and never had a problem. Yosemite? id hang or canister. but here?

Connie
06-02-2012, 19:02
Grizzley bears do rip into occupied tents.

Two girls had that happen: one horribly mauled, one dead.

What food did they have? Candy bars.

Boy Scouts have had bear incidents over toothpaste in their tent.

Bears are easily spoiled by getting human food. Why spoil a nice natural bear?

leaftye, You think bears understand the concept of possession...
+1 Bears rule the wilderness, challenged only by wolverines.

For a fact, we are soft-bodied, ridiculously weak and easily killed.

Bears swat a human, if we misbehave according to their own rules of behaviour, and we are mauled, maimed or killed.

Wise Old Owl
06-02-2012, 21:42
Hey we did this thread before! recent March & April

(Yep GA bears are nailing food bags)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?82317

Wise Old Owl
06-02-2012, 21:55
For those of you that have a strong demeanor... its not hard to find photos of a a hiker/camper that was eaten by a black bear while sleeping in a tent & bag. Its graphic and real

SunnyWalker
06-02-2012, 22:15
I've never had a problem with bears and my tent/food. I do hang my food bag though or use the box provided. Here is one thought: if a bear does attack you or your tent/food bag you'll probably tell the Rangers, et al. Then that bear is going to get shot or moved. Is that a good outcome for some bravarooooo "I ain't gonna hang MY food bag!"??

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 00:07
Here is one thought: if a bear does attack you or your tent/food bag you'll probably tell the Rangers, et al. Then that bear is going to get shot or moved. Is that a good outcome for some bravarooooo "I ain't gonna hang MY food bag!"??

Reality check please..........

On the AT, bear problems are NOT caused by keeping possession of your food.

Bear problems ARE caused by poor hanging and/or not keeping possession of your food.

Poor hanging = dead bears and poor hanging is more common than you think.

rocketsocks
06-03-2012, 00:38
What if I hang it in my tent,problem solved...No?:rolleyes:

vamelungeon
06-03-2012, 05:26
You think bears understand the concept of possession, but don't think they can understand that you're an easy target while sleeping and dangerous while awake? Perhaps you need to spend a few days and nights in a place like Yosemite. Spend the first few days walking around with food, and then spend the last few nights sleeping with your food. Let me know how that works out for you.

Where is Yosemite located on the AT exactly?

leaftye
06-03-2012, 05:58
Where is Yosemite located on the AT exactly?

As you may not have surmised, that's not the point.

peakbagger
06-03-2012, 06:45
Unfortunately threads like these are used by some to justify poor backcountry practices. The odds are low that you will have a problem but if you do the consequences are potentially high. Even if the bear doesnt attack a person if they find food in a tent or hung from a mouse line in a shelter, its positive reinforcement for them to come back again.

coach lou
06-03-2012, 06:55

Maybe 20 yrs ago there was a National Geo Special showing how the Yosemite BLACK bears had learned to get in a car faster than a hood in the city. I remember mama showing boo boo how it was done.

vamelungeon
06-03-2012, 07:00
It's EXACTLY the point. The AT doesn't run through California or Montana or Alaska. I've seen people mention grizzlies. No grizzlies on the AT. This is an AT discussion forum. You may not have surmised that.

Lone Wolf
06-03-2012, 07:15
bears gettin' food from tents is a non-issue on the AT. bears gettin' food from ATC approved bear cables are the problem.

coach lou
06-03-2012, 07:48
I'm walkin' the Kittitany Ridge in July, so I'll let you guys know how I make out............I hope.........but, I also wear a bell, so maybe I won't see any or they may have a nice Italian meal!

Pedaling Fool
06-03-2012, 08:01
You think bears understand the concept of possession, but don't think they can understand that you're an easy target while sleeping and dangerous while awake?Animals understand possession, that's why they hide their food. They just don't have the same concept of "rights of owernship" as us. In their world Might is Right. The "possession is 9/10 of the law" crap doesn't mean anything to them and it didn't mean anything to us before we developed society.

They don't see us as easy targets in our tents. They see us as easy targets in areas where they are not hunted and in areas where there's a lot of food available, i.e. in Georgia during thru-hiker season when people are hanging it out for their pickings...that has a big effect on their natural behavior towards us.

Velvet Gooch
06-03-2012, 08:50
Doin' it wrong. You have to mark what's yours. Urinate on everything you don't want molested by other animals

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2012, 08:54
I will vouch for that - Rugby urinates all around the outside of the house - havn't seen a cat in years.

waasj
06-03-2012, 09:13
Hang food...drink beer, problem solved

mainemike
06-03-2012, 09:35

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2012, 10:43
Wow bears on a zip line..... Call Geico!

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 12:17
bears gettin' food from tents is a non-issue on the AT. bears gettin' food from ATC approved bear cables are the problem.

This

I would add "with person in tent" to the first sentence.

imscotty
06-03-2012, 16:48
This Wikipedia list of people killed by bears is worth reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

There are way more kills by black bears than I realized. The deaths seem to be more common in Canada and on the elderly. The risk to a camper with food in his tent looks small to me but it is not zero.

vamelungeon
06-03-2012, 18:00
There were several deaths attributed to captive bears- there's a lesson to be learned in that. As far as black bears in the eastern US killing anyone in a tent, I didn't see any. There were deaths to people walking, at least one mountain biker, very small children and elderly people. Obviously black bears do some risk assessment. One guy was on a biathalon training run on a military base up in Canada so they do attack running and walking healthy athletic people. There are very, very few deaths by black bears here in the east and I don't see anything there that would make me change my mind about sleeping with food HERE IN THE APPALACHIANS.

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 18:05
There were several deaths attributed to captive bears- there's a lesson to be learned in that. As far as black bears in the eastern US killing anyone in a tent, I didn't see any. There were deaths to people walking, at least one mountain biker, very small children and elderly people. Obviously black bears do some risk assessment. One guy was on a biathalon training run on a military base up in Canada so they do attack running and walking healthy athletic people. There are very, very few deaths by black bears here in the east and I don't see anything there that would make me change my mind about sleeping with food HERE IN THE APPALACHIANS.

Well stated

Minnitonka
06-03-2012, 20:02
Would have to agree. Why take a chance ? Two summers ago while camping for a week, we had a racoon visitor EVERY night! He was not shy at all and tried different ways to get into the food every night. He and other little critters came around.

I always hang my food, toothpaste, deoderant- anything with a scent that might entice critters, or BEARS.

Lone Wolf
06-03-2012, 20:09
:cool:i'll take the chance. been doin' it 25 years. damn near died of a massive heart attack. ain't skeered of no bear

SouthMark
06-03-2012, 20:31
I disagree with Lone Wolf. I always hang my food… at the foot of my hammock.

Snowleopard
06-03-2012, 20:56
There have bear attacks including fatalities near the AT in the south and in NJ and NY.

The AT goes through NJ Stokes State Forest (near High Point), where this incident occurred:

The bear invaded the camp where a group of nine inner city boys and two counselors were sleeping at about 4:30 in the morning Wednesday. It pulled at a sleeping bag and swiped at a tent and knocked it down, Herrighty said. The counselors and their charges clapped, blew a whistle and sang and shouted, and finally an conservation officer shot the animal in the neck, driving it away.
The boys were not injured, contrary to earlier reports.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/bear_attack_update_nj_official.html

Closer to home, there have been numerous black bear attacks throughout Northern New Jersey over the past several years, some of them serious. On June 29 2001, a young boy was mauled by a black bear while hiking with his family near the Delaware Water Gap. The bear had stalked the group for several hours before attacking. On August 28, 2001, a 500-lb. black bear chased an 8-year old boy near his home in West Milford and was deterred only by an intervening police officer whose 3 shots fired into the animal did not stop it but rather caused it to retreat into the woods. And on May 18, 2002, a hiker was attacked by a black bear in pursuit of food near the Delaware Water Gap.
I do think that there is more danger than I realized from food conditioned, habituated, and aggressive bears, the combination of the three. And if I were rewriting that chapter, I would emphasize that there are three ingredients, habituations, the food conditioning, and rewarding aggressive behavior over time that increased the chances of injury... . I have learned since the publication of the book that there is more involvement in serious injuries by black bears than I knew of at the time that I wrote the book. (Knochel v. State, Arizona Superior Court, Civ. No. 98-09396, Deposition of Stephen Herrero, January 6, 1999, at pp. 218-219)

http://bachbio.com/njbears.htm

There have been increasing bear-human conflicts in NJ and NY west of the Hudson in recent years. These are probably the result of bears obtaining food from suburban homes.

ChinMusic
06-03-2012, 21:02
I disagree with Lone Wolf. I always hang my food… at the foot of my hammock.

To me that is not possession. Food hanging there is sorta a jump ball. Good luck.

AAhiker
06-04-2012, 13:57
Like someone stated before, Bears like all animals make an assesment. When I was a kid I remember stopping at a neat little pull off where people could watch and feed black bears. That was in the Adirondacks, now surprise surprise bear canisters are mandatory, not hanging, but actually canisters placed well away from your camp site. But unless black bears are habituated to humans they will avoid them. They know the smell of us and we smell the same awake or a sleep. And as to us being soft and fleshy, we are still large in comparison to most anything it might think to eat. IE. A black bear would be much more likely to go after food hanging away from its human counterpart than it would food directly around its human counterpart. We just aren't worth the potential fight. Half way down this link you can read what they actually prefer to eat. http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Publications/ZooGoer/1999/2/fact-americanblack.cfm As for me I do whatever the law says, but if it doesn't tell me I have to I keep all my food and garbage in my drysack inside my tent/ hammock.

AAhiker
06-04-2012, 14:02
Only quasi-related but interesting, the same website lists black bears as potential prey of brown bears. Fun fact, don't mess with a brown bear(grizzly)

DavidNH
06-04-2012, 14:22
why don't you just hang up a big sign, preferably in bearspeak.. to say I'm here in this tend. Tasty vittles.. come and get it! at the very least, put foot outside your tend but under fly. That way the bear, or more likely the mice, won't have to rip through your tent to get the food.

Moose2001
06-05-2012, 16:05
Here's the reason you don't store food in your tent! Letting bears get food causes them to get killed!

JENSEN, Uintah County — A black bear that had lost its fear of humans was shot and killed by a ranger at a remote campground in Dinosaur National Monument, the National Park Service said Monday.

The male bear began frequenting the Gates of Lodore campground on the Colorado side of the monument during the summer of 2011 to steal food and showed no fear of humans, according to monument Superintendent Mary Risser.

"It took food away from campsites and the Green River boat launch even as park visitors tried to scare it away," monument spokesman Dan Johnson added. "It even approached and touched campers sleeping on the sandbar near the river."

The Park Service initially partnered with the Colorado Division of Wildlife in the summer and fall of 2011 to try and trap the bear. That effort was unsuccessful and the bear "disappeared during the winter" when it went into hibernation, Risser said.

Then, on May 17, a ranger living in the cabin at the Gates of Lodore campground awoke about 5 a.m. to the sound of the bear trying to rip the screen door off the cabin, the superintendent said.

"We made the decision that we had to (destroy the bear) in the interest of public safety," Risser said, adding that relocating a bear who is habituated to humans "usually doesn't work."

On May 27, the bear again entered the campground and stole food from two campsites, despite the efforts of people to scare it off. That's when a ranger shot and killed the animal, which was easily identified as the problem bear because of a "distinctive brown marking," Risser said.

"Nobody joins the Park Service to do this," she said. "It's definitely the low point of a career."

The Gates of Lodore campground was never closed to the public during the problems with the bear. Instead the ranger and the campground host made contact with all visitors and advised them of the bear's behavior and the proper safety precautions, Risser said.

Many people do not consider Dinosaur National Monument to be "bear country," Johnson said, but there are frequent reports of people seeing the animals within the boundaries of the 200,000-acre monument.

"Park visitors are reminded to store food, garbage, camp coolers and other items that can attract bears in hard-sided vehicles or bear-proof storage boxes," Johnson said. "This helps keep bears from becoming conditioned to human food and helps keep park visitors and their property safe."

ChinMusic
06-05-2012, 16:17
Here's the reason you don't store food in your tent! Letting bears get food causes them to killed!

Actually, here is a reason to keep your food in your possession.

Bearpaw
06-05-2012, 16:33
I am always amazed that people are scandalized at the mention of sleeping with food in their tent. Yet they routinely hang their food bags directly over their feet or heads in a shelter.

Any body care to mention the last time a bear entered a shelter to get food when hikers were actually in the shelter? It doesn't happen. Keeping your food close does.

I place my food bag underneath my knees in my hammock. Dual use.

glaux
06-08-2012, 11:17
On my first night out backpacking solo, I had a bear come visit me in my hammock. He was just sniffing around, and shuffled off when I sat up and started moving around. I was glad I had hung my food a good distance away, and glad to see it still there in the morning. He might not have bothered me any more than that if I'd had my food in the hammock with me, but my own comfort level, at the moment, is to hang my food.

Toli
06-08-2012, 11:39
My food bag is part of my sleeping system (pillow).

So all you and ur hound eat are Marshmellows??? ;)

lemon b
06-08-2012, 14:03
Depends on what type of food. Depends on where. In an area with a lot of people and smelly food I hang. Otherwise the backpack stays with me or right outside the tent. Only thing a bear ever stole was a half pint of Yukon Jack right off a picnic table and that stuff stinks.

Sarcasm the elf
06-08-2012, 22:55

Well said. I would never store food unattended in my tent. I use bear boxes where available and often hang food PCT style if I need to leave it unattended, but ive never had any trouble with food that is in my possession, even when asleep in my tent (and not next to a shelter). That said, I ain't never hiked out west...

AzWildflower
06-10-2012, 18:36
Any body care to mention the last time a bear entered a shelter to get food when hikers were actually in the shelter? It doesn't happen.

Yes, it does.

Memorial Day Weekend 2010, Mt Collins Shelter, GSMNP. A bear entered the shelter several times at night and was shooed away each time by the human occupants. The bear only got one hiker’s boot, but I suspect that it would rather have had hiker food. The story I was told was that the hikers (some or all?) did not hang their food, and after the first time the bear entered and left the hikers were too afraid to go out in the dark and hang their food. Then the bear came back, I don’t know how many times. No humans were harmed. The next day I was planning to stay at Mt Collins shelter but I was told by SOBO hikers near Clingman that the shelter had been closed by Park personnel. I hiked on down and when I got close to Mt Collins Shelter there was yellow caution tape draped all around and over the trail with huge warning signs not to get close to the shelter due to bear activity. I had to detour out to the road because of the yellow caution tape and hike a bit and then get back on the trail further down. I stayed that night at Icewater Shelter instead. I had no desire to go to Gatlinburg during Memorial Day weekend.

Remember I was not at the shelter during the bear incident, only the next day, and this story was told to me by people who were not there either. I do not know how many days the shelter was closed. I do know that the shelter was closed because a bear had entered it more than once that night because I discussed it later with a ridge runner (Scott?). I do remember noticing that at each of next shelters I stayed at in GSMNP, every single hiker hung their food!

ChinMusic
06-10-2012, 18:55
I don't consider food hung at the opening of shelters to be true possession. It's more like a tease.

leaftye
06-10-2012, 19:12
I don't see where anyone said food was hung at the opening of the shelter.

AzWildflower
06-10-2012, 20:08

Correct, leaftye. After the bear incident all of the hikers in the shelters I was staying in were hanging their food from the bear cables strung between the trees away from the shelters, no discussion nor debate, because we had all heard about the bear INSIDE Mt Collins shelter and the purloined boot.

Pedaling Fool
06-10-2012, 20:38
Yes, it does.

Memorial Day Weekend 2010, Mt Collins Shelter, GSMNP. A bear entered the shelter several times at night and was shooed away each time by the human occupants. The bear only got one hiker’s boot, but I suspect that it would rather have had hiker food. The story I was told was that the hikers (some or all?) did not hang their food, and after the first time the bear entered and left the hikers were too afraid to go out in the dark and hang their food. Then the bear came back, I don’t know how many times. No humans were harmed. The next day I was planning to stay at Mt Collins shelter but I was told by SOBO hikers near Clingman that the shelter had been closed by Park personnel. I hiked on down and when I got close to Mt Collins Shelter there was yellow caution tape draped all around and over the trail with huge warning signs not to get close to the shelter due to bear activity. I had to detour out to the road because of the yellow caution tape and hike a bit and then get back on the trail further down. I stayed that night at Icewater Shelter instead. I had no desire to go to Gatlinburg during Memorial Day weekend.

Remember I was not at the shelter during the bear incident, only the next day, and this story was told to me by people who were not there either. I do not know how many days the shelter was closed. I do know that the shelter was closed because a bear had entered it more than once that night because I discussed it later with a ridge runner (Scott?). I do remember noticing that at each of next shelters I stayed at in GSMNP, every single hiker hung their food!

I don't consider food hung at the opening of shelters to be true possession. It's more like a tease.

Correct, leaftye. After the bear incident all of the hikers in the shelters I was staying in were hanging their food from the bear cables strung between the trees away from the shelters, no discussion nor debate, because we had all heard about the bear INSIDE Mt Collins shelter and the purloined boot.

Ok, I'm confused. leaftye says, "I don't see where anyone said food was hung at the opening of the shelter", but you seem to say exactly the opposite in your initial post, but then agree with him later :confused:

Del Q
06-10-2012, 20:52
Hanging gives me something to do, practice throwing skills, keep food away from evening snacks............last hike came into 2 towns empty, would have definitely eaten more if my food bag was with me in the tent.

Also.................Don't want chance of critters coming around............

Lone Wolf
06-10-2012, 20:55
i wouldn't even think of hangin' food on the AT. no need to

leaftye
06-10-2012, 20:56
Ok, I'm confused. leaftye says, "I don't see where anyone said food was hung at the opening of the shelter", but you seem to say exactly the opposite in your initial post, but then agree with him later :confused:

I made one post, one sentence, about that. You're confused because what you think I did is not possible. It didn't happen. Unless perhaps my words are poetry. it meant one thing when you first read it, but at a different time it meant something else. Am I a poet and don't even know it?

Pedaling Fool
06-10-2012, 21:00
I made one post, one sentence, about that. You're confused because what you think I did is not possible. It didn't happen. Unless perhaps my words are poetry. it meant one thing when you first read it, but at a different time it meant something else. Am I a poet and don't even know it?
Yeah, but I wasn't confused about what you said ;)

Connie
06-21-2012, 12:42
I think bears get habituated to associating hikers with food.

Hike, wear a back pack, have a campsite = food.

Once bears eat our food or food garbage, they get habituated to our food or food garbage.

It is better for the bear to never get our food or food garbage.

I use odorproof OPSak's for food and for garbage.

I think I will use lightweight slick dyneema line to suspend my food and my garbage bag from now on, reference those photos posted by mainemike on the previous page.
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?84718-Storing-food-in-your-tent-when-you-re-sleeping/page4)

Ladytrekker
06-24-2012, 07:50
From the many journals I have read mice have damaged more backpacks than bears. However my cousins camping in NC had a bear tear open the end of their tent while sleeping and grabbed a purse and ran with it. They found the purse think it was the fruity smelling lip glosses in the purse

Crash! Bang!
06-25-2012, 12:01

Bears getting killed is not a good thing.

Anyway, I use an Ursack. Just slightly heavier than a regular foodbag, and you don't have to hang it while being secure in the knowledge that your food will not be taken. I don't know why they are not more popular.

sailsET
06-25-2012, 12:28

Love it!! Here's a good book for you: "I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups" by Sharon Eliza Nichols

SouthMark
06-25-2012, 12:40
In Pennsylvania, a 7-square-mile community called Hemlock Farms where 7,000 people coexisted with 21 bears, that many bears in 7 square miles is a higher bear density than exists in any national park or national forest, people regularly hand-fed the bears and no one was attacked.

In Smoky Mountains National Park, Dr. Jane Tate studied wild black bears that people fed along roadsides (Tate 1983). She watched in disbelief as raucous tourists crowded around bears to hand-feed them, pour beer over their heads, lure them into cars for photos, and put honey on kids’ faces for bears to lick. She reported that the bears were “amazingly tolerant and restrained.” When people tried to pet bears that were not used to it, some bears defensively nipped or cuffed people, causing minor injuries, but the bears did not attack. The more accustomed to people the bears became, the less likely they were to cause injury.

In nearby Eagles Nest Township, MN, residents have fed wild black bears for over 40 years. Dozens of bears have lost their fear of people over the years. No one was attacked.

At the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary near Orr, MN, people have hand-fed and petted hundreds of wild black bears for decades. Until the mid-1990’s, the public was free to mingle with the wild bears without rules or supervision. People teased bears with food for pictures. Toddlers steadied themselves against 500-pound bears. People lifted children up to bears’ mouths for reasons beyond understanding. There were occasional nips and scratches, but no attacks.

Odd Man Out
06-25-2012, 13:02
In Pennsylvania, a 7-square-mile community called Hemlock Farms where 7,000 people coexisted with 21 bears, that many bears in 7 square miles is a higher bear density than exists in any national park or national forest, people regularly hand-fed the bears and no one was attacked.

In Smoky Mountains National Park, Dr. Jane Tate studied wild black bears that people fed along roadsides (Tate 1983). She watched in disbelief as raucous tourists crowded around bears to hand-feed them, pour beer over their heads, lure them into cars for photos, and put honey on kids’ faces for bears to lick. She reported that the bears were “amazingly tolerant and restrained.” When people tried to pet bears that were not used to it, some bears defensively nipped or cuffed people, causing minor injuries, but the bears did not attack. The more accustomed to people the bears became, the less likely they were to cause injury.

In nearby Eagles Nest Township, MN, residents have fed wild black bears for over 40 years. Dozens of bears have lost their fear of people over the years. No one was attacked.

At the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary near Orr, MN, people have hand-fed and petted hundreds of wild black bears for decades. Until the mid-1990’s, the public was free to mingle with the wild bears without rules or supervision. People teased bears with food for pictures. Toddlers steadied themselves against 500-pound bears. People lifted children up to bears’ mouths for reasons beyond understanding. There were occasional nips and scratches, but no attacks.

While I don't think feeding wild animals is a good idea, the stories above are consistent with the data from long-term bear research, i.e. bears that become acclimated to people are not more dangerous. They are probably less dangerous. This is a great link, if you have not seen it before.

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/46-what-if-a-black-bear-ignores-me-and-doesnt-run-away.html

Whether or not these bears are a nuisance is based more on the people than the bear.

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/80-what-is-a-qnuisanceq-black-bear.html

Click the "Bears and Humans" link at the top of the page for several more articles.

brian039
06-25-2012, 15:06

For me it depends. If I was in Grizzly country I'd always hang. There's a few spots on the AT with black bear problems year-after-year (Watauga Lake and around Blood Mt for example)that I would only camp by shelters so that I can use the bear cables or just avoid the problem areas. I don't hang because most of the time I wouldn't be able to do it correctly or find a good tree to hang food from and I (and the bears) are better off with me sleeping with my food. I think it's better to sleep with your food than to hang it incorrectly and I'm not confident enough with hanging to know whether or not I'm doing it right.

TechnoD
06-29-2012, 02:47
No bears in my state,at least not where I camp but I hang my food after spraying my stuff sac with OFF. Coons and possum don't seem to like the odor. :)

Techno

Velvet Gooch
06-29-2012, 05:15
Yes, I sleep next to my food bag. Soundly

wisenber
07-01-2012, 19:46
I use OPsak as well (garbage in it) and tie my food bag to a tree like 25 feet away. I used to be scared of bears but now Im realizing they are a myth here in new england..

Hanging your food isn't always for the hikers safety. If a bear becomes too acclimated to humans and their food, it can often lead to them being put down as "problem bears". In the long run, you may be helping the bear more than yourself.

ChinMusic
07-01-2012, 20:11
Hanging your food isn't always for the hikers safety. If a bear becomes too acclimated to humans and their food, it can often lead to them being put down as "problem bears". In the long run, you may be helping the bear more than yourself.

Read the thread

SouthMark
07-01-2012, 20:22

myth......

hikerboy57
07-02-2012, 15:14
the bears can smell both you and your food, whether its hung or not.bears go after hung bags more often than non hung bags.they can smell mouthwash too, so make sure you hang your mouth after rinsing, before retiring!
now really, in all the years that WB has been around, how many thru hikers have been attacked byblack bears in their tents? i know youll probably pull up all sorts of bear "attack" stories, but i am curious.
i really want to know, because i sleep with my food, and i have heard plenty of stories, as well as a few cute videos here about bears pulling bags of lines.

Toli
07-02-2012, 16:22
What if I hang it in my tent,problem solved...No?:rolleyes:

Seriously??? You are a Knuckle Head... New screen name??? "Harley" :D...

1azarus
07-02-2012, 16:43
I hang my food bag at the foot end of my hammock -- from the suspension line, under my tarp. never had a problem. I can see it. I do urinate under the food bag for good luck. If I am hanging near an occupied shelter and can see the mouse hangers from where I'm sleeping, and others have hung their food at the shelter, I'll hang my food bag with them and let my new best buddies guard my food while they sleep. I do not urinate under the food bag then. This is the definitive hammock food storage approach.

Del Q
07-02-2012, 20:05
Ditto

For me, hanging gives me something to do, practice a skill, stop late evening snacking on precious food........., no critters around my tent.

Works for me for now........always open for change

ChinMusic
07-02-2012, 20:17
...in all the years that WB has been around, how many thru hikers have been attacked byblack bears in their tents? i know youll probably pull up all sorts of bear "attack" stories, but i am curious.
i really want to know, because i sleep with my food, and i have heard plenty of stories, as well as a few cute videos here about bears pulling bags of lines.

The stories of bears coming into occupied tents are rare. Within those stories some tents contained food and some did not.

A common theme is the missed Snicker Bar wrapper or Chapstick in the tent. IMO those items had nothing to do with it.

There is gonna be the very rare psycho bear out there that is gonna do something out of the ordinary. If your number is up, your number is up.....YMMV

hikerboy57
07-02-2012, 20:38
The stories of bears coming into occupied tents are rare. Within those stories some tents contained food and some did not.

A common theme is the missed Snicker Bar wrapper or Chapstick in the tent. IMO those items had nothing to do with it.

There is gonna be the very rare psycho bear out there that is gonna do something out of the ordinary. If your number is up, your number is up.....YMMV
mudhead sent me a PM about my Maine section, told me the raccoons are smart enough to pull a hung bear bag up by the cord!
Ill continue to sleep with my food.

MuddyWaters
07-02-2012, 21:28
I PREFER to hang so I have more room in my shelter and wont possibly attract mice, etc. But if I cannot hang correctly , (no good tree, slope too steep) then I have no real qualms about sleeping with the food either on the AT, as long as it isnt a known problem bear area.

At a shelter of course, you go with the flow. However, a lot of hikers really dont know how to hang good or PCT style. I am amazed that even after several hundred miles, some apparently have never seen a good PCT hang over a 20-25' branch before. I get questions like "How did you throw that line over that branch"?. Seriously, the idea of putting a rock on the end of the line never occurred to them???