PDA

View Full Version : Just finished Schuttes Book " White Blaze Fever"

ArkVol
04-11-2005, 10:10
I really liked it, but not as well as Rubins book. Can someone recommend another book on the AT.
thanks

The Solemates
04-11-2005, 10:51
I really liked it, but not as well as Rubins book. Can someone recommend another book on the AT.
thanks

Ive heard Model T's book is good and I want to read it one of these days. Here are a few others:

Alt, Jeff. A Walk for Sunshine. Cincinnati, Ohio: Dreams Shared Publications, 2000.

Berger, Jeff. Hiking the Triple Crown. Seattle, Washington: The Mountaineers Books, 2001.

Brill, David. As Far as the Eye Can See. Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia: Appalachian Trail Conference, 1990.

Bruce, Dan. The Thru-Hiker’s Handbook. Hot Springs, North Carolina: Center for Appalachian Trail Studies, 2000.

Bruce, Dan. The Thru-Hiker’s Planning Guide. Hot Springs, North Carolina: Center for Appalachian Trail Studies, 1994.

Bryson, Bill. A Walk in the Woods. New York: Broadway Books, 1998.

Chazin, Daniel D. Appalachian Trail Data Book 2000. Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia: Appalachian Trail Conference, 2000.

Curran, Jan D. The Appalachian Trail: A Journey of Discovery. Highland City, Florida: Rainbow Books, Inc., 1991.

Curran, Jan D. The Appalachian Trail: How to Prepare For and Hike It. Highland City, Florida: Rainbow Books, Inc., 1995.

Curran, Jan D. The Appalachian Trail: Onward to Katahdin. Highland City, Florida: Rainbow Books, Inc., 1999.

Flack, James M. and Hertha E. Flack. Ambling and Scrambling on the Appalachian Trail. Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia: Appalachian Trail Conference, 1981.

Fletcher, Colin and Chip Rawlins. The Complete Walker IV. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2002.

Highsmith, Carol M. and Ted Landphair. Appalachian Trail: A Photographic Tour. New York: Crescent Books, 1999.

Jardine, Ray. Beyond Backpacking. Arizona City, Arizona: Adventure Lore Press, 2001.

Miller, Aurthur P. and Marjorie L. Miller. Trails Across America. Golden, Colorado: Fulcrum Publishing, 1996.

Mueser, Roland. Long-Distance Hiking. Camden, Maine: Ragged Mountain Press, 1998.

Rubin, Robert Alden. On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage. New York: The Lyons Press, 2000.

Setzer, Lynn. A Season on the Appalachian Trail. Birmingham, Alabama: Menasha Ridge Press, 1997.

Whalen, Christopher. Appalachian Trail Workbook for Planning Thru-Hikes. Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia: Appalachian Trail Conference, 2000.

Kerosene
04-11-2005, 10:56
Definitely take a look at Model T's Walking on the Happy Side of Misery.

Whistler
04-11-2005, 11:02
Just a thought: Perhaps we could have an "AT Books" piece in the Featured Articles section. Title, Author, Brief Description. Maybe even post a link for each that would somehow search/refer to previous threads... hmm...

To add to above, I would recommend The Appalachian Trail Reader, ed. David Emblidge. Lots of different excerpts from American/ AT-related thinkers and also some good readings from trail diaries & trip reports.
-Mark

Jack Tarlin
04-11-2005, 11:02
Try E.V. Shaffer's "Walking With Spring"

Mags
04-11-2005, 11:13
Earthworm, a recently retired librarian from FSU, has compiled just about every book (and video) about the AT out there:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/AT_bibliography.htm

If you know of an AT book or video that is not on the list, let her know!

My own personal favorite is:

Emblidge, David. The Appalachian Trail Reader. New York: Oxford University Press, 1996.

A little of everything: history, geology, writings by famous authors, philosophy, thru-hiker accounts. It really represents all facets of the trail.

ArkVol
04-11-2005, 11:43
I really liked Mick Lowers book, the twist at the end really fooled me.

JojoSmiley
04-11-2005, 23:09
Another new one just out this past year is "When Straitjacket Met Golden Sun." Available thru ATC. Excellent!

saimyoji
04-11-2005, 23:17
There are some online journal/book type things out there. Search for a thread I started on boring journal articles, there were a few responses re: these online books/stories. George Steffanos had a good one: Then the Hail Came. http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

Yahoo...finally a post I can edit. :D

hikerjohnd
04-11-2005, 23:29
Just a thought: Perhaps we could have an "AT Books" piece in the Featured Articles section. Title, Author, Brief Description. Maybe even post a link for each that would somehow search/refer to previous threads... hmm...
Excellent idea - this is not the first AT book thread - and I'm sure it won't be the last - but a book review article section would be nice...:cool:

Lilred
04-12-2005, 21:27
I also recommend Model T's "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" Very entertaining.

The very first journal/book I read on the AT was "Then the Hail Came" Still have it in my favorite places. It was excellent.

SavageLlama
04-13-2005, 20:59
Try E.V. Shaffer's "Walking With Spring"
Great book. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif Gives you an amazing flavor of different (and tough) the trail was back in the early days.

jac
04-14-2005, 01:25
Walking With Spring is a must read, IMO.
Then The Hail Came is terrific, too.

SavageLlama
04-14-2005, 22:14
Another good one is Blind Courage. If you think you've had some tough hikes, just read about what Bill Irwin went through. :eek:

You'll never bitch about a rainy day again...

eArThworm
03-23-2006, 13:59
Earthworm, a recently retired librarian from FSU, has compiled just about every book (and video) about the AT out there:
http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/AT_bibliography.htm
If you know of an AT book or video that is not on the list, let her know!

Quick update on this thread. The bibliography has been expanded to cover many more trails, and there are a lot of new books in the AT memoirs category. the new URL is http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/bibliography.htm. Sometime next week, a section will be added for The Long Trail.